Best 3DS games of 2013

It promises to be a cracking year for Nintendo's handheld

We've already covered the best Wii U games of 2013 but arguably there are more exciting games confirmed for release on 3DS in the next 12 months. Of course, Nintendo will be working hard behind closed doors on Wii U games and there are many more revelations to come at E3, but right now the 3DS line-up is looking pretty exciting. Here are the best 3DS games that we can't wait to play.

10. King Of Pirates

Release Date: TBC

Mega Man fans who are getting themselves in a tizz over the abscence of the blue bot should turn their attention to King Of Pirates instead. For this is the new 3DS game from Keiji Inafune, the designer of the Mega Man games. Not much is know about his new game but it looks like the cast of Animal Crossing have escaped village life to battle on the high seas. It seems that you will control a penguin in a bandana who is dragged out of the water by a pirate gang before he explores the seas looking for treasure. Expect animal pirate battles which can only be a good thing. All we need now is for a release date to be confirmed.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. Kesskuron Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 11:29

As much as I want it, there's no way we'll get MH4 next year

2. CDS Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 11:58

Animal Crossing New Leaf.
    That's it for definitely want. However, I might look into some of the others.

3. Herbert_Rarr Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 12:31

Just Luigi's Mansion 2 for me. All the rest of my money is going on my Wii U.

4. King Slazo Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 12:33

I'll be picking up Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, any other 3DS games I'll just play by ear.

5. kirlia trainer Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 12:35

I look forward to play Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing! :D

But what about Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity? :)

6. mirnkaya Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 12:51

The new Animal Crossing is really brilliant - so much additions that "tweaking the town" and "managing every aspect of your home" is really only scratching the surface (which, even 140 hours and so deep I am still far from uncovering myself). Here are some of the great new features which I haven't seen mentioned much in previews thus far:

*SPOILERS ahead*

*You can buy KK's discs in the store. Those are now a physical object you can also display (not only listen to) in your room or hang on the walls.
    * There is a trophies/achievement system in place for things like gardening and fossil/bugs collecting
    * You can play as your own mii
    * Plenty of free new items - in the form of DLC - are handed out periodically by Nintendo
    * at winter you can build various kinds of snow men (and women), each with its own features (and presents)
    * at Christmas eve you can volunteer to do Santa's job (which apparently is much more challenging than you might first think...)
    * there are plenty of multi-players and single-player mini games at the never-ending-summer island (which has its own currency and daily changing merchandize for you to collect and manage). They have difficulty levels and the assortment changes daily
    * you're not the only creature coveting the fruit of the sea (which you dive to get in a sort of a mini game)...
    * the haniwa (those strange cylindrical shaped objects you unearth sometimes instead of fossils) have actual musical use in this game
    * a special gardening store offers not only trees and other plants (yes - there are also shrubs and bushes now) but also some gardening services
    * you can use the 3ds play coins (the ones you get when strolling with your system in the "real world") to buy fortune cookies, which you can than exchange for special Nintendo in-game memorabilia like a model of the new flying Mario Kart
    * putting on any of the specially themed Nintendo clothes (e.g. Link's hat) is accompanied by a proper sound effect

and the list goes on and on...

7. vtheyoshi Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 13:09

I'm really looking forward to the Monster Hunter games.

8. GuitarHero Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 13:54

You linked the wrong trailer on the AC:New Leaf section, by the way.

Layton and Animal Crossing would probably be top, since it's Hershel Layton's final adventure and will hopefully look to go out on a bang. Animal Crossing looks like it improves on the current best, LGTTC, so should be great.

9. TenTen Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 14:20

I'm most looking forward to Fire Emblem, it looks awesome. New Leaf looks amazing too.

10. Ai64 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 14:29

So many games to look forward to, but I still can't wait for Fire Emblem: Awakening.

11. skyluigi Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 15:21

2013 is going to be the year of the 3DS. Of course, that doesn't mean Wii U won't have its share of success, especially with Pikmin 3.

12. ThePokekid78 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 15:30

Forget all of these games, on January the 8th we're getting 'big' Pokemon news!!

13. Waldy565 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 16:19

Yeha, you're right there ONM, 3DS is more of an exiting line up, the games that are avaliable and me having a 3DS being the reasons haha! AC:NL and maybe MH4 I'll be getting for my birthday, and Luigi's Mansion or LEGO City:Undercover (assuming we're still getting a 3DS version, seeming as info on the 3DS version is low) I will be getting on release. Also both games with Layton in are high on my list, and I may dip into Castlevania, hardly played any of the series. Played a port of the original on my GBA and played Rondo of Blood on my Wii, heard the DS game was good though

14. Waldy565 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 16:22

Wow, yes we are, forgot all about that and only heard about it yesterday haha! So close as well man, and I've only just started my White 2 journey. Maybe more facts on the latest mystery dungeon, and me and my mates are hoping for a Hoenn re-release!

15. Komodo_Wolfgang Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 17:32

"Best games of 2013" Been time traveling again? I love it how 'Best of' things are always a year infront.
    None of these games are out yet (here atleast), and there still could be some hidden gems that could beat some of them.
    I feel "Most Anticipated 3DS games of 2013" would me more ideal.

Expect animal pirate battles which can only be a good thing

Uhm... not necissarily. Theres been a few games that seem to have great ideas behind them turn out rubbish.Yes the whole thing looks like it could be good. But we saw no gameplay whatsoever. Makes me curious but not excited. On a side note, That looks more like a blue swallow or something >.> Penguins have flippers ;D
    Speaking of exciting games

As much as I want it, there's no way we'll get MH4 next year

Agreed.
    Im also uneased by the lack of any sort of date above 3DS' version of MH3.

Animal Crossing New Leaf was the main reason I got a 3DS, on release. I just hope I can get a replacement one in time.
    Also, why is the video of hydroventure and not AC?

Animal Crossing and the Monster Hunter games are my must haves.

16. Kirby8 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 17:38

I'm most looking forward to AA5 and Layton Vs. Wright, followed by Layton 6. Also can't wait from Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 2! Going to be a great year!!

17. K-tet Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 18:08

Let's see...
    New Leaf? Probably not. Bigged up Nintendo game with huge success in Japan yes but, I'll pass.
    Luigi's Mansion 2? Possibly. I enjoyed the first on the Cube, plus the fact that the original was going to be a 3D game if it were financially feasible back then definitely keeps me curious.
    Monster Hunter 4? I'll be surprised if it surfaces this year. I strongly doubt this. If it does, fair play, but no, MH3U on Wii U kills off such an investment. On that subject, unless MH3U on 3DS comes as a free download via a cross-promotional deal, then no dice.
    Fire Emblem Awakening? Yes. Been waiting for this for a while. April beckons.
    Ace Attorney 5? Yes! I do love me an Ace Attorney game.
    Layton 6? Not really. I don't dislike the Layton games, but I'm not a fan of them.
    Layton VS Ace Attorney? This needs no dispute. I think this will be a serious contender for critical acclaim across the board.
    Castlevania? I'll see. Not sure if I can stretch my budget to that, likewise for King Of Pirates, although that seems a more certain investment for me.

No, the one you clearly missed was Mystery Dungeon, and I would spend New Leaf money on it.

18. TheVelvetRoom Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 19:07

What have you guys got against Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Pretty much the one game next year I'd buy a 3DS for.

19. amelia_e Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 20:17

I will definitely be getting Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out, I've been waiting for that since it was announced. I'm really hoping that Bravely Default Flying Fairy gets localized, I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

20. epiclink Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 21:06

Looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2!

21. fisher2007 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 22:12

getting Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out.

22. shy guy 64 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 22:35

id say luigi's mansion and layton vs wright are what im looking forward to the most

23. shy guy 64 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 22:38

*SPOILERS ahead*

* You can play as your own mii

and the list goes on and on...

having read the "spoilers" all i can say is AWESOME

p.s. apologeis for the double post

24. MangoMutt2 Sunday 30th Dec 2012 at 23:31

I deffentily want animal crossing! ill deffentily check out other games, of to GAME tomorrow!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

25. Combusken Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 03:39

The only 3DS games that interest me so far for 2013 are Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Layton vs Phoenix Wright and Ace Attorney 5: Phoenix Wright 4 (since AA5 is the fourth Ace Attorney game to star Phoenix Wright as the main character).

26. Hams96 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 05:33

Animal Crossing are the only ones for me. That said, I have backlog of games to buy that goes back several years...

27. Mmmyeah Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 16:23

Fast forward to 1:16 on the Layton video and watch the screen that appears on the left. I'm pretty sure that is Luke's dad!

I'm looking forward to a lot of these games, particularly Luigi's Mansion 2, Monster Hunter 4 and Professor Layton 6.

28. Riverlution Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 17:00

Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing (possibly Ace Attorney 5, not sure yet) are the games I want on 3DS this year. Wii U will hopefully be where all my money goes.

29. Da_Epic_Fail Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 11:42

Pretty much gonna be getting everything on this list at some point or another, but the games i'm most excited for here are Ace Attorney 5, Layton and the Azran Legacies, PLvsAA and Luigi's Mansion. While we're at it, I might as well add Devil Survivor Overclocked since it missed the 2012 release shown in Nintendo Direct...

30. funkysi Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 11:47

Really am looking forward to a bit of Luigi's Mansion 2. Gonna be awesome.

31. Dan-the-Wii-man Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 21:53

Zelda 3DS...........................

32. Nintendofreak03 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 20:20

this game may be already be out but i want paper mario sticker star (for 3ds) and (this isnt out yet) luigis mansion. which looks awesome(espesali on my 3ds xl!) :mrgreen:

33. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 21:38

I'm looking forward to Professor Layton 6,Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright,Luigi's Mansion 2 and Sonic and all stars racing transformed 3DS most. Presuming those two Professor Layton games come out this year,of course.