Top 5 best party games

The Wii and Wii U games you should play at New Year parties

Throwing a party on New Year's Eve? Want to know which are the best party games you should play? Here are five Wii and Wii U games that everyone, no matter how skilled they are at games, will love.

You see, it would be easy to mess this up. There are plenty of games which by definition shouldn't have the word party in their title. Most definitions of party include the word entertainment but you won't be entertained by games such as Game Party Champions or Family Party: 30 Great Games. In fact, your guests will probably walk out if you forced them to play either.

So don't be misled by confusing titles. Follow our guide and you'll have a great party.

5. Mario Party 9 (Wii)

Family Party can offer 30 far-from-great games but Mario Party 9 has 78 mini-games for you to play through and while not all of them are brilliant there are plenty of great moments for you to enjoy in the best Mario Party game for years.

We like the button bashing action of Launch Break, which sees you battering the 1 button, then the 2 button, then shaking the Remote to launch a Super Mario Bros. 2-style rocket as high as possible.

The racer Speeding Bullets which has you riding a Bullet Bill like a Mario Kart is also good fun while the reaction-based challenges such as Growing Up, which asks you to press a series of buttons before anyone else to make your beanstalk grow higher, offer another example of the variety on offer here.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 13:09

darksiders 2

2. raphaelcoelho15 Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 13:18

Mario Party 1, 2 and 3 are far better than any Mario Party of the Wii. Nintendo changed the formula and it made me doubt of those games.

3. samus_killer Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 13:31

Did think that Nintendo Land would top the list, and it deserves it too. So much fun, with so much to do, there's literally something for everyone.

I know that this will be the new thing that replaces Wii Sports for Christmas in my house.

4. Mew3 Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 15:57

I'm suprised that Kirbys Wii wasn't on here. You don't want to know how many fights me and my brother have had on Super Smash Bros where the other person keeps dying :oops:

5. skyluigi Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 16:09

Wii Party.
    I see no Wii Party.
    Wii Party is by FAR my favourite party game ever (I mean, it's called Wii PARTY)! It's just so much fun to play with friends. :D

6. MartinIsAwesome Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 17:20

I would personally argue that Smash Bros isn't a game that anyone can play regardless of skill level. Especially if your not very good at it and playing against someone who is.
    The Mario & Sonic sports games are a much better all-skills party game in my opinion, the best being Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (it's also more seasonal). Even the first game got a mention in hit BBC sitcom, Outnumbered. ONe of my favourite moments in that show is hearing Hugh Dennis proclaim "I am NOT playing as Princess Peach!"

7. GuitarHero Friday 21st Dec 2012 at 17:24

Good to see Nintendoland deservedly at number 1.

8. Zenuous Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 00:11

Wait whos' that in the screenshot for Super Smash bros brawl, below Samus? Doesn't look like a regular character to me.

9. superthingymabob Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 00:25

It's an assist trophy. And that apostrophe is wrong.

10. grunt35 Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 11:21

this has been bugging me for awhile. ONM, u need to put ur count down segments on just one page so i can scroll through them instead of haveing to load a new web page for the next. i wanna click on but get borded very quick and quite offrn dont finish ur articals :/

11. epiclink Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 14:54

Nintendo Land and Mario party 9, though i prefer Nintendo Land.

12. IG-42 Saturday 22nd Dec 2012 at 23:38

no one wants to play SSBB with me at home anymore :( i just keep winning even when i play with random characters

13. Yinyanreshiram Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 21:16

Wii Sports,Just Dance and Sing Star are good for parties too

14. ThePokekid78 Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 13:11

Good luck finding enough people to come to a New Year's party who will be willing to play a load of Nintendo games on a Wii/Wii U...

15. King Slazo Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 14:45

I find it funny how I look at most of these and think "the Gamecube version was so much better".

Then again, people tend to play stuff like Rockband at parties which is more accessible than all of these combined, so yeah.

16. nintenu Monday 31st Dec 2012 at 15:29

Wii Sports,Just Dance and Sing Star are good for parties too

Yeah, and WeDare too! :P

...oops, wrong type of party game!!!

17. callum2003 Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 00:55

Played nintendo land with my sister and mum. So much fun getting them in luigi's ghost mansion.

18. skyluigi Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 18:31

I think I'm the only person who likes Wii Party... but it won't stop me from being excited about the Wii U version! :D