How to get your family into gaming this Christmas

What you should play on the big day...

So it's Christmas time! Time to have fun, enjoy presents and eat loads and loads of cheese! But most importantly, it's the time when family really get together and once you've stuffed down the Christmas turkey and eaten a gazillion mince pies, it's time to just chill out. This is the perfect time for videogames! I know some folks (namely the parents) might say: "no, turn that off" because they think it's 'anti-social' but actually there are some great Nintendo games out right now that are perfect for all the family: kids, parents and even Grandparents. Here are some of the best ones to get everyone involved.

Dancing may seem like some gamer's idea of a nightmare, but being an ex-dancer myself, I've always had a soft spot for them. Back in the day, it was me and my dance mat all the way. In my opinion, Just Dance is a great dancing game series and I'm really loving Just Dance 4. It's actually perfect for getting the kids up on their little feet - cousins, nephews, and nieces, you name it! Even if they are really little, they will love it! I've taken a Just Dance game babysitting on many occasions and it's a real winner. And for us grown ups, thanks to its crazy, sweaty routines, it makes you feel slightly less guilty about eating that extra bowl of Christmas pud!

Also, want to hear something cool? My Grandad is a gamer just like me! Yep, my Grandad! So when my grandparents come over on Christmas day, he always wants to jump on the Nintendo console. My Grandma however, is not a gamer but she also likes to join in. We found the perfect game for all of us last year in the form of Mario Party 8! Seriously, you can't go wrong!

It's great because I can team up with my Grandma who isn't familiar with videogames (can't understand why the little "mushroom boy" is referred to as a Toad) and help her out! Mario Party is best played with others and with some mini-game controls being as simple as 'tap A repeatedly', literally everyone can play! I'm looking forward to showing them Mario Party 9 this Christmas but even more so, Nintendo Land! When it comes to the older folk, party games always work for me!

If you're just looking for some great family games, my favourites are definitely New Super Mario Bros Wii, due to its chaotically brilliant multiplayer. Also, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, thanks to its wacky 5 second microgames. One minute you're using the Wii Remote to sweep the floor and the next you're plucking some dudes nostril hair! However, I think Mario Kart Wii tops it for me when it comes to family games. I have hilarious family memories of replaying Rainbow Road over and over until we can ALL finish without someone falling off the track once. Yeah, it never happens!

Do the older members of your family think videogames are 'anti-social' at Christmas or are they like mine, and happy to join in? What other games do you think are great to play at family gatherings?

Comments

1. NeonTailsPrower Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 09:42

I've never tried these games on Christmas to get the family together and saying it looks like it's not gonna here I might aswell try this out. Thanks :D

2. vtheyoshi Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 10:09

My dad does think that video games are anti-social to some extant, but he used to play Zelda until a few years ago.

3. tohaker Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 11:47

No Nintendo Land? Anyone who comes round and sees the Wii U sitting there all nice and shiny asks "Yeah it looks nice but what can we play on it?!" and I whip out the Nintendo Land disc, load up the system and watch their face turn from skepticism to intense joy and concentration! :D

4. Herbert_Rarr Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 11:50

My parents are completely incompetent with video games so I guess I'll have some friends over (if they can bare the thought of playing on a Nintendo console).

5. ThePokekid78 Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 12:32

Same with me bro!

Except...I have no friends....

Foreveralone.jpg

6. Darkblizz Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 13:07

GAWWWWNGNUM STYLE

7. adamatsu Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 13:26

my family hate gaming and gamers they say it's a waste of time. if i suggest playing mario kart wii, i'll probably be laughed out of the kitchen. i'm 31 years old :(

8. dap005 Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 16:23

Beat the Beat rhythm paradise is proving rather popular in my house. Me and my cousin take turns to play and even my Mum and Dad can't help but shift their eyes onto the TV to see what on earth is going on. The fact that it got my non-gaming mum to want to try the game herself and my Dad to praise the game's wacky design as well as stimulating laughter to arise in the living room is quite magical.

9. LavaTwilight Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 17:09

The little "mushroom boy" is referred to a Toad because it's short for Toadstool (which is a mushroom). :mrgreen: For me there's not better group game than Super Smash Bros, but since I 'own' every one of my family who plays against me (friends, it's a different matter) then no one wants to play. Mario Kart is always fun but one of my favourites has been and always will be pretty much ANY Mario Party game.

10. K-tet Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 20:51

I tend to host a variety of gaming during a Christmas time. I guess it helps when the main gaming contingent of the family are intermediate at worst. Plenty of competition too. I have a feeling this year NSMBU's going to get a lot of usage, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I ended up setting up the Nintendo 64 for Lylat Wars and Goldeneye respectively, as well as setting the Wii up again for both Smash Melee and Mario Kart Wii. They always get plenty of play, and always spark fierce competition before pudding.

It's going to be a good Christmas, that's all I can say.

11. Herbert_Rarr Sunday 23rd Dec 2012 at 22:31

Nah... :O

12. jaco_p Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 00:36

Nah... :O

I reckon it's because, in centuries past, royals and well to do people had retainers and servants who were sometimes reffered to as toadies. Since toad does the same job for Peach, i would say that's where his name comes from and they just put a Toadstool on his head to tie it together. Clearly i'm no expert so if anyone wants to smash that myth for me, feel free.

This Christmas, i will mostly be playing Nintendoland.

13. Waldy565 Monday 24th Dec 2012 at 19:26

Here here friend! Maybe parent(s) will not understand, but I understand where you come from with friends, me being the only one in my friendship group W/O a 360... But, 2 of my mates really liking the look of WiiU, so come next Xmas with more money, we'll be playing Nintendo Land, yes a year late, but, y'know... ;)