Nintendo 2013 wish list

Metroid and F-Zero are on Marc Zablotny's wish list...

So here we are, at the start of another year. I'm sure you're all still busy enjoying the masses of chocolates and treats you received over the holiday period, or, like me, only just finishing the leftovers of a very ill-advised 18 pound turkey.

2012 was a great year wasn't it? The world united during the Olympic and Paralympic games, a very brave man jumped from the edge of space, Mars is being explored in more detail than ever before and we all survived an imaginary apocalypse. Nintendo have had a decent year too. We've all enjoyed some great titles such as Kid Icarus: Uprising, Resident Evil Revelations, The Last Story and Pokemon Black and White 2. On top of that, the Wii U finally found its way to the hands of gamers everywhere.

What's next for Nintendo? 2013 is already looking rather promising with the likes of Luigi's Mansion 2 and Pikmin 3 coming our way, and there's no doubt in my mind that there's a whole host of wonders that remain unannounced. We all have our own version of what will make a perfect year for Nintendo gaming, and here's a glimpse into mine...

Metroid Dread

In 2005, rumours of a new Metroid title for the Nintendo DS arose. The game was thought to be called Metroid Dread, a direct sequel to 2002's Metroid Fusion with more classic 2D side-scrolling gameplay.

Dedicated Nintendo/Metroid fans know how the story goes. Whispers of the game persisted throughout the rest of 2005 and all of 2006 and it frequently appeared on release schedules but after a couple of E3 no-shows, many fans, including myself, assumed the game had been cancelled or was in development hell.

However, a small glimmer of hope appeared in the form of an easter egg in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for the Wii in 2007. Scanning a Space Pirate terminal would yield the message: "Experiment status report update: Metroid project 'Dread' is nearing the final stages of completion." Naturally fans went crazy and interest in this elusive game shot through the roof. Did it exist after all? Was Nintendo going to surprise us with an official reveal soon?

Sadly, as you know, it was not meant to be. Here we are a whole five years later and Metroid Dread is simply nowhere to be seen. Personally, I'd love to see it brought back from the depths of obscurity. If you think about it, the return of Metroid Dread is not in the realms of impossibility. Let us not forget that Kirby's: Return to Dreamland on the Nintendo Wii is actually the final result of an unnamed Kirby title for the Gamecube revealed in 2005, which subsequently slipped into uncertainty in much the same way that Metroid Dread did.

Why do I want Metroid Dread to return? We need a new 2D Metroid game. Metroid: Other M did a respectable job of trying to merge the first-person action of the Prime series and third-person platforming, but it didn't replicate the quality of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion.

In a way, I've become attached to what Metroid Dread stood for rather than the specific game itself. It promised to be the two things I've been wanting most from a Metroid game for a while now. The first is a proper traditional 2D adventure, because we've been without one for about ten years now. The second is a sequel to Metroid Fusion, which is currently the latest story chronologically, as I'd like the series story to progress rather than filling in the blanks (as is the case with Other M).

With that in mind, I'd be more than happy to settle for a Metroid game on the 3DS or DS that ticks those two boxes regardless of if it is called Dread or not.

Although, the title Dread really piqued my interest as it seemed to imply a horror element. Personally, I think that's something that would work really well with a Metroid game, even a 2D one. If you think back to Metroid Fusion, it did an excellent job of making you feel fearful of the SA-X, a clone of Samus not too dissimilar from Prime's Dark Samus. The SA-X was horrendously powerful and was pretty much invulnerable to all of your weapons to begin with, meaning for a large portion of the game you had to hide from it, sneak past it, or run the hell away if it saw you. If Nintendo took that element and developed it significantly, that could make for a really interesting direction to take the franchise.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. JoeOdranDoran Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:06

This article contains an excess of Win.

2. TheNUKEnukeM Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:14

The metriod facts were really interesting and I think that we should see Majoras Mask 3D, I doubt we will get a new zelda game. But I could agree with the last bit. Nintendo haven't re-released pokemon on the e-shop because it is impossible to complete the pokedex because you cannot trade. So why don't you let people trade and then release it on e-shop, it will sell by the bucket load. In a way I also hope that Nintendo just confirm more games and show us more trailers for upcoming games in 2013. Its hard to explain but when we look at the line up for this year we dont have much to look forward to pass the spring because we simply have no idea what is coming up and if it is looking any good or not.

3. Baker1000 Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:15

I second the need for a better Virtual Console. What really bugs me about the Wii VC, is that it seems after WiiWare started, thy took it as a reason to slow down the classic game releases. Wasn't there a point when it was literally one week we'd get VC games, and next week it would be WiiWare, then back to VC the week after? I don't have much interest in WiiWare TBH. I know I might be missing out on some great games, but I've always been into first party titles more than third party. I probably only have about 10 or so non-Nintendo games and most of those are Sonic. I don't understand why Nintendo couldn't release VC and WiiWare at the same time in that period.

And as for the 3DS VC, why haven't there been more 3D classics released? When they first started it was pretty month a monthly thing. 3rd week of every month, bang you could expect a 3D classic. What happened to those? I wish they'd make more, because it gives people a reason to buy a game they've probably already got on the Wii VC.

4. hannahmay Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:18

I want the new animal crossing to come out!

5. K-tet Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:21

Five things I want Nintendo to do:

1. Unification of the Nintendo Network ID to include Wii U, 3DS, and Wii hardware - Why? No-one should have to pay full price to download a game they have already bought for another Nintendo hardware device they own. For example, Virtual Console games would benefit from this. If I bought Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels on my Wii, I should be able to download it for free on my 3DS without paying full price again. It would be dead easy to implement. The NNID owner registers their 3DS and Wii Console Codes. Alongside that, all purchase history can also be linked to their Club Nintendo Account. Simple idea in theory right?

2. Use Nintendo Network ID's as legal ID when accessing data on the eShop - We do not live in Germany, and despite there being German Youth Protection laws in place, they do not apply to customers outside of Germany. Germany does not govern the European Union, and there was none of this debacle in the first place. Compromises can be made, and we as a territorial region hate being shafted because of setbacks like this. It seems to many that due to these laws, Nintendo (and Germany) do not trust their consumers in terms of their age, and that's a big minus. We know how old we are, and NNID's force you to put in your date of birth. Yes you can falsify that, but once you've created your account, that's it, you can't change your Date of Birth details. Failing that, Nintendo should split their eShop servers across the whole of the European Union. They already have HQ's in other European countries (such as here in the UK), and it wouldn't cost them too much to do either.

3. Bring out the big guns - Wii's had its swansong last year with two absolutely awesome games in The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. We're expecting Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 on the Wii U front, but with last year being more a transitional year in the gaming industry with very few super-selling blockbusters compared to 2010 and 2011, it's been the indie devs that have wowed us the most. The 3DS is beginning to snowball in popularity with many getting one over this past Christmas period so this year can be Nintendo's year to capitalise and lay not only a solid foundation for the Wii U, but also force Sony and Microsoft into pre-emptive gestures. Also, bring out the full-library of Virtual Console games from Wii onto Wii U, and bring out GameCube Virtual Console support too. On the 3DS front? SNES, Megadrive, and PC-Engine (Turbografx) support is more than possible, so make it happen. This year is tailor made for Nintendo to excel. Your move, Nintendo.

4. Promote cross-play promotional offers - Something Sony has initiated with Sony Smash Bros is if you buy the PS3 version, you get a one-time use download code for your Vita version providing it's linked to the same PSN account. This is where Nintendo needs to unify the NNID's to account for all Nintendo hardware you own. Let's use Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate as the prime example. The Wii U version may be out for Ł50, and the 3DS version for Ł40. If Nintendo offer a 3DS one-time use download code alongside the Wii U version, everybody wins. You can't argue that Nintendo would lose money on 3DS hard sales because not everyone owns a Wii U yet. Better still, if they did this and Wii U sales went through the roof, it bodes well for their future games as well.

5. Region-free gaming - Yes, I'm being far too optimistic but quite frankly I don't give a cows arse about region locking. All region locking does is protect territorial sales, and in a world where the longer the bridges, the taller the walls are, this needs to be addressed. The DS was region free, as were non-DSi/3DS enhanced DS games, but to region lock 3DS games is absurd. Yes, region lock the eShop if you're that bothered about territorial sales, but for hard copies of games, make the systems region free. Same goes for Wii U. Also, Wii U Game Pads being region locked to work with the same region systems? Seriously, that's so full of fail that I think Iwata-san's on the slow boat to China with a plank of wood as his oar.

A bonus thing I want Nintendo to do? Media player for Wii U. The system's tailor made for it. Release a media player for say Ł10 that allows you to play music, view photos, and watch videos from your External Hard Drive, as well as codec support for DVD's and Blu-Ray Discs. If the Homebrew scene can get this part working fine on Wii then there's no reason that Nintendo can't do this themselves. Again, your move, Nintendo.

6. King Slazo Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:45

Nintendo embracing online is still a way away. They've only just changed their online system to use usernames (or NNID or whatever they call their version of Gamertags) instead of friend codes, and last year proved when they released their first full digital game... for the RRP... that they still just don't get it. A day will come when they do, and they're getting better, but I doubt we'll see a fully online Nintendo this generation.

As for the rest, can't see a Metroid game coming out for a little while after Other M annoyed many fans and F-Zero has been all but condemned bcause there isn't really a market for it (sorry, I loved it too). The new Zelda... in all honesty, I far prefer the artstyle of the "cutesy" ones, WindWaker and Skyward Sword looked far, far better than Ocarina or Twilight Princess (and were better games too, but that's only my opinion).

A Nintendo FPS would be interested though. If only because, as you said, it'd be different and not just a me-too generic experience like so many modern shooters.

Ultimately though, 2013 will be, most likely, what we've come to expect from Nintendo. Them playing it safe with their traditional big sellers of Pokémon and Mario (Mario Kart 8 wouldn't surprise me for an end of year release), with one of their old franchises being dusted off for the Nintendo hardcore (Pikmin 3), one game so they can go "look, we've got games for the hardcore gamer too" (Bayonetta 2) and some announcements for 2014 games so nobody trades their consoles in. Just like last year. And the year before. And the etc.

7. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 13:51

If those games came out this year they wouldn't be games, they'd be half-done, bad-textured, unfinished crap. I wouldn't want any of those to come out until 2014 at the earliest, give the dev's some time.

8. LavaTwilight Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 14:19

I definitely share the sentiment that the VC and Wiiware needs a massive improvement! I kinda hoped it would be incorporated into the eShop in a future update... here's hoping. That said, the layout and functionality of the e-Shop can be improved too.
    A new F-Zero game is definitely needed, but as long as it doesnt use the same controls as in Nintendo Land. Those are fine for a minigame, but it wouldn't work for a full-budget retail release. Also a new Legend of Zelda is what I'm looking forward to. A lot of fans want a 'darker' one, but I'm more concerned about the quality. I felt that Skyward Sword veered off from the Zelda blueprints quite enough but apparently the next one is looking to 'change' it some more? No thanks. Make it darker, make it lighter, whatever I don't mind just don't change it if it's not broken.

Plus, how about Generic-Looking Action Figure for a new IP? :lol:

9. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 15:08

Nintendo should really start reading these comments.

10. shy guy 64 Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 15:53

these wishlists all ways have f-zero and metroid

not that the're unlikely choices (except the fps one) just dont expect them all this year

11. Mmmyeah Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 17:50

Some nice ideas here. Before this article I was mainly hoping that the Oracle Zeldas will be released on 3DS virtual console soon! Now I'm looking to the future and hoping for more surprising stuff.

For me, a new Okami on the Wii U or 3DS would be phenomenal.

12. WOLFENFTW Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 20:01

I agree that we need a new 2D Metroid, a new F-Zero and a dark Zelda game, but I'd also like to see a new Star Fox title. Not counting the Lylat wars remake the latest Star Fox was Command (2006). Star Fox is a brilliant series that would look brilliant on both 3DS and Wii U, but I've seen very little demand from anyone.

STAR FOX FANS! PLEASE SHOW ME YOUR STILL HERE!!!

13. KairiZero Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 20:15

I agree Nintendo need to up the rate of E-shop releases. I know the consoles only been out just over a month or so, but there are only two wii u demos, and a handful of games to buy. they need more solid content - I think demos of big releases (Zombi U, ACIII and Batman would be a good start), and they do need to release some gamecube and wii games on the shop, as well as older titles.....I'm a little dissapointed with the E-shop right now, I really hope they don't drop the ball with it!

14. VinceLovesToast Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 21:09

Any of the old pokemon games could be released on the 3ds eshop !
    they dont even have to make a new game but being able to transfer your pokemon would be awesome!

15. Dan-the-Wii-man Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 21:56

PLEASE NINTENDO I NEED A NEW METROID. Something scary would be amazing!!

16. CDS Tuesday 1st Jan 2013 at 22:16

My list.
    1] As stated before, unified accounts. This is the only thing stopping me from actually buying anything from the e-Shop. If your 3DS is no longer working, or gets stolen. That's it. Everything lost. If PSN and XBOX LIVE can do it, why not Nintendo. Long overdue.

2] A proper Star Wars game on the 3DS. The n-Space games were absolute New IP's and new in-series games. A lot have stated for new Zelda's or Metroid's, and at least one vote for Star Fox. There's also been interest for new IP's. I give the yes to both of these things. While the revival of Star Fox 64 was good I'd be interested in seeing what else can become of it. And also, instead of remaking games, use elements from those older games. For instance, a lot might argue against this, but I'd be pretty interested in a Mario Kart with the Double Dash elements, while keeping new features.

17. TheVelvetRoom Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 00:49

A proper new Starfox for Wii U would be lovely.

18. Zabba 2 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 00:52

Not necessarily. Games are usually a fair way into development by the time they are announced/revealed (granted, not always, for example Super Smash Bros. 4), so it's possible that a new F-Zero game or 2D Metroid have been in the works for some time already.

Realistically, of the four games I put forward, only one probably wouldn't see a 2013 release and that's the FPS. This is purely because Miyamoto's words on the matter seemed to imply no work has been started on such a project yet. Still, it's nice to think there may be some surprises out there.

19. superthingymabob Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 02:02

I agree with everything on this list, apart from the FPS thing. However, they should make the games at their own pace. Sonic '06 is a prime example of what happens when developers are rushed.

20. toffeeman30 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 07:44

standard and obvious choices. nice article and read all the same

21. 3DSRulesO.K Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 14:04

Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are the closest that Nintendo have got to Half-Life and Portals way of story telling. You know what's going on, but if you read between the lines there is something much darker and unexplained. But I may be gettin gconfused with fan-fiction. The same can be said for Pokemon.

22. Bleachyleachy Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 14:58

Not a bad article, but I strongly disagree with the Nintendo themed FPS. Another FPS game is exactly what we don't need.
    Also I can't be the only one who noticed:

IDBVXFBVLHXVJZSPAIW guys Zabba posted! Are you back or just dropping by?

23. Zabba 2 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 15:21

My list.

Out of all the points you made, this is the one I agree with most. It's something that came to my attention when I found out Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels was coming to 3DS eShop. I bought it on the Wii Virtual Console when it came out during the Hanabi festival, but because there's no unified account system, I'd have to buy it again if I wanted it on 3DS. In my opinion, that's wrong. There's also the lost and stolen issue too. It'd make things a lot easier with unified accounts.

standard and obvious choices. nice article and read all the same

If I ever get round to doing another similar article I had planned, I'll be talking about some much more obscure series and games, so maybe that'll be more to your liking.

IDBVXFBVLHXVJZSPAIW guys Zabba posted! Are you back or just dropping by?

Just dropping by I'm afraid! Nice to know I'm missed though haha

For me, a new Okami on the Wii U or 3DS would be phenomenal.

I'd even settle for the PSN's Okami HD to make it's way to the Wii U store.

24. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 20:53

I just want a Donkey Kong 3DS game. Something similar to 'Donkey Kong Country Returns'. Oh,and a Doctor Who 50th anniversary 3DS game starring all the Doctors.

25. Argenthor Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 00:56

POI
    The picture on page 4 is of Bulletstorm, not CoD :)

26. King Slazo Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 01:12

POI
    The picture on page 4 is of Bulletstorm, not CoD :)

Maybe because he references Bulletstorm? :P

27. Accelgor7 Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 16:24

I still maintain that first, second and 3rd gen pokemon games would do well on e-shop