Pikmin 3 will be more like Pikmin 1 - Miyamoto

Pikmin creator bringing the stress levels back to his strategy game following 'user-friendly' Pikmin 2

Shigeru Miyamoto has told GamesMaster that Pikmin 3 will return to its roots in a strategy game that's more like the original than the second game in the series.

Miyamoto admitted that he didn't entirely agree with the decision to make the game less stressful for the player with Pikmin 2 which dropped the time limits that were placed on the player in the original GameCube title.

Asked if his team had to make some important decisions about the direction of Pikmin before they started development, Miyamoto said: "That's actually something that all the staff members had to debate over when we were discussing what kind of direction we should take for Pikmin 3. First of all by looking at Pikmin 1 we noticed that it wasn't a very easy game for people to play, and from time to time they had to feel some stress.

"Our main aim in Pikmin 2 was to get rid of any stress as much as possible, so that it would be very user-friendly. Well, I myself couldn't agree with that direction perfectly. That kind of nature of Pikmin 1 was exactly what I wanted to reproduce and I was actually intentionally doing so, so that Pikmin 1 could be a strategic game."

Miyamoto said that he wanted to get back to basics with Pikmin 3: "When we started creating Pikmin 3 I gathered the main members who worked on Pikmin 2 and talked about how I thought it was important to get back to the basics of Pikmin 1. Or I should say that half of my job at that time wasn't just to talk, but rather to persuade them to understand what I intended to do and to agree to my idea."

What do you think about the decision to bring Pikmin back to basics? Did you prefer Pikmin or Pikmin 2?

Pikmin 3 is one of ONM's best Wii U games for 2013.

You can read the full interview with Shigeru Miyamoto in the new issue of GamesMaster magazine. You can buy the magazine here.

Comments

1. mu3zzer Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 09:57

I've not played Pikmin 2, but I didn't really like the strict time limits of the first so was hoping for it to be more like the second. But I'm still excited for this game and will definitely pick it up.

2. Stitch Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 10:09

I much preferred Pikmin 2. The time limits in the original were annoying and for someone who likes to explore and appreciate the game's surroundings it was too much. I really hope the time limits don't make an appearance in Pikmin 3 or I may very well skip the experience altogether.

3. Lego master Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 10:44

I don't necessarily think that is a bad idea however that has stopped me from buying it now...

4. master sword Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 10:48

This honestly depends on if he's bringing back the time limits, and if so how strict are they going to be, I like to take my time playing a game and not feel to rushed, so i enjoyed Pikmin 2 more, Pikmin 1 was good but it's a bit hard to enjoy the world around you if you're constantly being rushed.
    Plus I loved some of the references to real-life products in Pikmin 2, some of the name and descriptions were brilliant

5. DrGenisi Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 11:02

I preferred Pikmin 2 because it was a longer game and putting a time limit on it actually makes it shorter because you can't go on for as long. And you can't say that Pikmin 2 was user-friendly until you have played The Submerged Castle. I don't call that dungeon "user-friendly".

6. King Slazo Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 11:19

Pikmin 2 was far more fun than the original, so that's a disappointment that probably means I won't be picking this game up now...

7. thenintendoer Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 11:37

i reckon that they hsould have the time limits the first time through and then after completeing the game have the option to turn it off on subsequent playthroughs so it hopefully pleases everyone

8. MJTH Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 11:55

I think that it's a good thing that they bring back a sense of urgency to the game, I found Pikmin 2 whilst it was a better game, there wasn't as big a drive to finish it completely as there was in pikmin original.

What I would like from Pikmin 3 was that there was urgency for the first half of the game, having you be required to reach a certain goal before a certain time period, but after that you were allowed to continue after that and have a different objective after that which increases the longevity of the game.

Oh, and can we have less dungeons and more, larger explorable environment this time, and more bosses in those environments! My one major problem with pikmin 2, the best parts were when you weren't in dungeons, but that made up less then half of the game....

9. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 12:12

I completely agree. Although I haven't played the first two Pikmin games, I think I would much prefer it if the game was a challenge - it would be more fun that way - but I also want the freedom of being able to explore the content of the maps at my own leisure.

10. myowlisdead Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 12:18

Oh good heavens.
    If the mere IDEA of Pikmin 3 being more like the first game is enough to put you off buying it, then perhaps you should consider choosing a different hobby. Fishing, for example.
    After all the long years of Miyamoto showing us again and again that we can trust him with the franchises we care about, why on earth do things like this comments section still happen?

11. MrGooseyMoose Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 12:31

Thank. God.

Pikmin is one of my favourite games ever, and the time limits and restraints and STRESS are some of the key reasons for that. The second game was so lacking in drive because there was no reason to worry, and no motivation to be particularly efficient because you could get away with doing only tiny amounts each day. I mean, I didn't like the second game full stop because of a few reasons, but...

Anyway, I'll quit there. Very happy about this decision. Right on.

12. MrGooseyMoose Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 12:33

Agree with everything you said.

13. Baker1000 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:01

What the...time limits were dropped in Pikmin 2? I don't think so. You might not have had a limit on the amount of days you could spend, but you still had limits on the time spent during the day. That was stressful enough for me. I remember you literally couldn't wait more than a few minutes before setting off for some of the treasure if you wanted to make it back by nightfall. There were days when I would spend half of it re-populating my Pikmin count and then, even with quite a bit of time left in the day, it was just too late to try and find treasure to bring back. The only thing that made the game less stressful were the underground areas, where you had an endless amount of time. Even then you could only take 100 Pikmin with you and couldn't go back for more, so it was still stressful if you lost a huge chunk of them before reaching the bottom.

Pikmin 2 was perfection for me. You could spend a day or two exploring (which let's face it, with HD in Pikmin 3, you're gonna want to do) and not worry if you packed up empty handed that day. I wouldn't welcome the return of the day limit in Pikmin 3.

14. JoeOdranDoran Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:02

Not sure whether I agree, but.....Miyamoto taking a hard-line on games being easy? That could be a good thing.

15. Lego master Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:25

why on earth do things like this comments section still happen?

First of all it would be pronounced "these comments".
    Second of all, because people have opinions!!! It's not that I don't trust miyamoto's decision, however for me personally I like being able to explore freely in video games without restraints such as time. I think a good idea would be to have time limit optional.

16. TheNUKEnukeM Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:30

Pikmin 1 was a challenge and in my opinion the only reason I liked it was the time limit. The time limit gave me a reason to continue to play the game. I can't even sit through pikmin 2. I think it is dull and I didnt really care for what was to happen to Olimar. SO this new is a good thing in my opinion :D

17. toffeeman30 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 13:55

pikmin 3 to get back to basics of pikmin 1? think i will pass then

18. TheRexFactor Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 14:18

As long as he doesn't mean "we're bringing back the time limit".

Being against the clock like that just means people will be forced to rush and end up missing out on things

19. CDS Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 14:27

Is it time for me to step up and try and persuade people again?
    I'm not even getting a WiiU so will definitely not be getting Pikmin 3. I have both games on Gamecube, and if I was to pick one of them up to play again, it would be the first. The time limits kept you on a schedule and made things a harder time. While Pikmin 2 had more levels/dungeons and Pikmin types, the first was a basic three-types-mulitple-challenges game. The second, while it had the clock time to persuade you to get back quick before you lost Pikmin, didn't give you a strict day time which meant you could separate tasks into days.
    Now, with Pikmin 3, it is taking the best of both of these two, by having more Pikmin types, and going back to the Pikmin 1 basics. Now while the article gives talk of the day time, it might not be back. And to be fair, even if it is, you've got four men to take control of Pikmin this time, not just one. And you have a map on your second screen so you can swipe and zoom and watch what's happening, then jump in and swap to that person if they need help or are ready to move on.

20. King Slazo Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 15:37

Oh good heavens.

Alternatively, maybe some people didn't like the first nearly as much as the second and wouldn't want to waste their hard earned money on an experience they know they won't enjoy?

21. Jack Markley Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 16:48

This makes me very excited, I was hoping they were adding back the time limits since the first interviews with miyamoto about pikmin 3. While I initially didn't like that there would be a time limit on the first game, that my time with the pikmin would be limited. Now that i've experienced the other side of the coin in pikmin 2 I realize how important it is to give the player that restriction to make them value their time more. I also hope they're focusing more on having large, beautiful overworld levels instead of the tiled quantity over quality caves from the second.

22. Oocoo Jr. Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 16:54

The time limits in the first Pikmin actually prevented me from finishing the game. I got about three-quarters of the way through but just got tired of constantly having to cancel my saves so that I could still have all my Pikmin, and just gave up. I really hope Pikmin 3 is more like the second game.

23. Chewie Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 17:15

One of my biggest issues with the first Pikmin was how short it was, the time limit being a huge factor in this, seeing as it forced you to rush through what was a very short game anyway. Bringing back the time limit isn't the way to go in my opinion, I'll wait it out and hope for a price drop.

24. jazatz2 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 22:16

Why don't they just make the time limit optional. I loved the challenge from pikmin 1 and still thought there was enough to to submerge yourself into the game. But i know my younger brother did not enjoy the time limit perhaps it should be optional and you should win a special award for completing it on "time mode"

25. CDS Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 22:20

^^
    Yes. Good idea.

26. Ymmot392 Wednesday 2nd Jan 2013 at 23:36

Are people seriously giving up on Pikmin 3 just because they can't take a little bit of challenge? Personally, I loved the time limit of the first Pikmin game, and it gave me motivation to get Captain Olimar off the planet. Honestly, I wasn't even challenged by it much at all. I mean, come on! One ship part per day. It's not hard. Heck, I even got 7 ship parts in one day in the Distant Spring! If I can do it, anyone can.

One may argue that this takes out all opportunity to explore the beautiful environment of the Pikmin planet. This is simply not true. The first few times I played Pikmin 1 with no knowledge of where any of the ship parts were, I took these steps every day:
    1) Explore. Look out for potential threats that may get in the way of you Pikmin carrying anything back.
    2) Populate. Using the enemies that I had killed, I can get a decent number of new Pikmin.
    3) Explore. Use the time that the Pikmin are using to carry back enemy spoils to search for any ship parts if none have been found yet.
    4) Collect. Now that all creatures are out of the way, I can get my Pikmin to safely take a ship part back to the S.S. Dolphin.
    5) Explore. Use the time it takes for Pikmin to carry back the ship part to explore some more, and locate more ship parts.

Probably over half of every day, I spent my time exploring the area, and admiring the beauty of the Pikmin planet. Is a time limit really that harsh? I will admit, however, that after you collect the final ship part, there is nothing else to do, which is kind of disheartening... I'm sure Shigeru Miyamoto will allow use to continue our adventures after the main plot, just like in Pikmin 2. Who knows? Maybe there will be a ton of side quests to do.

I really hope people can use my advice next time they play through Pikmin 1, and hopefully enjoy it a little more.

27. pikmAn Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 00:38

From looking at the comments it looks like the best coarse of action for nintendo would be to create a timed mode and a free-play mode.

28. WOLFENFTW Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 20:30

I actually quite like this idea. I honestly prefer Pikimin 1 to Pikmin 2 simply because of the time limit. I enjoyed the sense of urgency and making decisions that could change the ending. What needs to be done though is to make the main story longer, something like 100 pieces in 100 days (Pikmin 1 style). Also after the main story is complete, perhaps an extra story that involves revisiting locations without a time limit (Pikmin 2 style). Also get rid of the underground caves please.