Best Wii U eShop games for 2013

There are some great games coming to the Wii U's digital store

The best is yet to come from the Wii U eShop. Trine 2 is a brilliant game that every Wii U owner should download, Chasing Aurora is good fun to play with friends and although Little Inferno has split opinion, there aren't many essential download only releases in Nintendo's new digital store. That should change in 2013 as new games from excellent indie developers launch in the next 12 months.

Here are the five Wii U eShop games that we're most looking forward to in 2013

5. Two Brothers

Release date: TBC 2013

With its monochrome visuals, Two Brothers may look like an old Game Boy title from 1990 but it is a Wii U game that has been officially endorsed by Nintendo. Nintendo didn't help out until after AckkStudios successful Kickstarter bid which saw the indie dev secure far more than the $6,000 needed to begin the project, but after they said they'd be interested in releasing the game through the eShop, Nintendo immediately sent them a Wii U development kit.

Two Brothers is a RPG inspired by the likes of Secret Of Mana and The Legend Of Zelda but this isn't necessarily an adventure that has been designed like a GB game to appeal to retro-heads. You see, there is a reason why Two Brothers is lacking in colour.

Playing as Roy Guarder, you're a young inventor who suffered a near-fatal experience. Instead of being shaken by the experience, he becomes determined to find a new colour for his world after a vision of an after-life filled with colour. He's joined by his brother Bivare in his quest.

Interestingly, Ackk are also making a 3D RPG that's influenced by The World Ends With You and Earthbound. This lot have good taste.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. Slinkington Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 16:23

What an extremely biased list. All these games have very similar touches to them. Why're they all 2D or pixel art or those sort of "extreme difficult" type games? Why no mention of games like Zen Pinball (Or Pinball Arcade, which I think is better) I've not looked into what eShop games are coming but SURELY there are better choices than these..?

2. tomonm Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 16:29

Which games would you suggest are missing from this list?

3. ledreppe Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 16:46

The Cave isn't extremely difficult! The Cave is all I want from this list, the rest are 2d pixel art extreme difficulty games, which I instantly get turned off by. I love Maniac Mansion from the 80's, and The Cave seems to have been inspired from it. Ron Gilbert is one of my favourite developers. The article says released March 2013, but the trailer says January 2013?!

4. MatthewONM Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 16:49

That's the problem Slinkington (if that is your real name), there isn't a huge amount coming to eShop at the moment. Things will pick up once Wii U starts shifting more, but these are the current cream of the crop.

5. MistaChristopher Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 17:07

It's not ONM's fault, it just so happens that the best games coming out are 2D stuff. More things will come out in due time.

Anyways, these all do look good. Would buy some of 'em. ;)

6. jaco_p Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 17:30

All these games look good enough to warrant a purchase. Pinball?? No thanks! Most stagnant genre ever, if you can even call it a genre

7. torterratrainer Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 18:19

cloud berry kingdom: you have got to be bloody joking me.

8. LavaTwilight Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 at 18:52

OOO, the monochrome game sounds real interesting but I'll need more info of course. The Cave is a game I have mixed impressions for. I'm so disappointed that Maniac Mansion has not yet been released for the VC and I'm still waiting for it, since it's one of (if not the only) game I've ever started and haven't completed in some definitive sense. Still, I'll see what the reviews say for The Cave... I'm not interested in the others tho.

9. Lew3107 Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 00:34

I don't think that Cloudberry Kingdom or Aban Hawkins should be on this list. Some games that should be here are Pier Solar HD, Toki Tori 2 and Ghost Recon Online. Hopefully Fez comes to the Wii U, and Unepic could be a good game too.

10. MartinIsAwesome Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 11:16

Of those, it's Two Brothers, Aban Hakins and the 1,001 Spikes and Runner 2 that I'm looking forward to the most. I'm a sucker for modern retro-inspired games with an 8-bit soundtrack, and Bit.Trip Runner was just so good that I'm really happy that it was chosen to get a sequel.

11. Commandervideo Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 20:36

Easy mode on cloudberry kingdom looks like they've taken the level straight out of NSMB. :lol:

12. bowsersblog Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 11:25

Definitely looking forward to The Cave, that really looks like something I'd pick up and play. Though I wish they would have added Zen Pinball 2 to the list, that should be a huge draw to this eShop this year.

13. smikey666 Sunday 27th Jan 2013 at 17:23

apart from runner 2 i'll get all of them (already got the cave) i most want toki tori 2 from eshop though if it stops getting delayed hope they're fairly spaced out though i already own 22 wiiu games (20 disc 2 eshop) planning on completeing every nintendo game for every nintendo console (home & handheld even started drawing up all 100% completion criteria for every game will take a while to finish) starting from 2013 so past completions dont count i own well over 750 games so lets see how i go god help my wallet! (& yes i realise to complete every game i'd have to buy runner 2 i'll just wait for a sale not really my thing)