Best 3DS eShop games for 2013

Our top five downloads for the next 12 months

There were some great games released through the 3DS eShop last year. From Fallblox to Hydroventure: Spin Cycle and Crimson Shroud, some of the best 3DS eShop games came out in 2012. 2013 has a lot to live up to but there are already some games that you should be really excited about.

We looked at the best Wii U eShop games for 2013 yesterday and now it's time to turn our attention to the 3DS digital store. Here are the top 5 best 3DS games to look forward to in 2013.

5. Mutant Mudds 2

Release date: TBC

Like your platformers to test you with Mega Man 2 levels of toughness? Mutant Mudds 2 could be for you. Many 3DS owners loved retro-style platformer Mutant Mudds and will welcome the return of Max in the sequel which is set for release through the 3DS eShop.

The original looked like a platformer from the SNES era, but Max's ability to leap between the background and foreground of a level gave it a fresh twist as he attempted to collect all the water sprites and take out the invading muddy mutants with his water blaster. With G-Land and V-Land secret levels designed to look like Game Boy and Virtual Boy games, there was a lot to like for Nintendo fans.

And if you managed to complete the game - by finishing every regular level, all 20 hidden levels, and collecting all 2000 Golden Diamonds - there was Mutant Mudds DLC waiting for you in which you could play as Grannie.

Those who completed the DLC guessed that a sequel would be on the way thanks to the message at the end (pictured above) in which Max praised Grannie for her skills before saying that he'd received some special intel on something new brewing and was off to check it out. Some have suggested that the background is a new level but Max said that he is going somewhere to check out the new intel

Still, as we have no fresh information about the sequel, you can forgive people for staring at this message looking for clues. So you've got Max who is still clutching his water blaster... and that's all we know!

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. Darkblizz Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 15:40

I do ever so want Harmoknight.

2. MJTH Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 15:54

I'm didn't know harmoknight was a download game. Now I'm a lot more excited for it! I'm also quite looking forward to Ikachan.

And "potentially" an official announcement for GBA games for 3DS, and some more game boy colour games (Super Mario Bros Duluxe and the original Shantae game) That would be nice for 2013 too.

3. ledreppe Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 15:57

Is Harmonight like, say, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy or Rhythm Thief, cause those are 2 rhythm games I'm quite good at. That's about it for what I want from this list, NightSky looks like it could get fiendishly difficult towards the end.

4. skyluigi Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 16:28

Eh... I'm not really looking forward to Harmoknight. I am looking forward to Mutant Mudds 2, NightSky and, even though it's not on the list, Denpa Men 2. That game was awesome! :D
    Oh, and Ikachan too, that looks great!

5. Rufan Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 17:52

I loved and completed Rhythm Thief, so I'm looking forward to Harmonknight.

6. Commandervideo Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 19:24

What about Cave story+ and Denpa Men 2. I'm really looking forward to them myself as well as Nightsky, 1001spikes and Mutant Mudds2. Ikachan is alright too. It's gunna be another great year for the eshop.

7. shy guy 64 Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 19:26

im really looking forward to harmo knight

8. IG-42 Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 20:20

my god harmoknight is going to drive people out of their minds after perfect scores

9. GuitarHero Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 20:27

Harmoknight does look interesting, and if they release a demo then I'll definitely try it.

10. mirage 5x5 Friday 4th Jan 2013 at 20:40

the second Shantae was very good on the ipad :D
    so i will be looking forward to Shantae And The Pirate's Curse :D
    but don't think i will get any of the other games on this list

11. alexkinch Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 11:18

I did not think cave story + was coming to Europe. It's been on USA dsi for a while but I heard it got removed to make way for the plus version. I got cave story 3d a while back I'm hoping the plus version is the same so I wont have to get it again.

12. adamatsu Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 12:03

Hey ONM, is there any way you could add a schedule on the front page for upcoming Wii U/3DS UK release dates? I can only ever find US release dates on other sites which aren't the same. It would make a great addition to the site (unless you've already done it and i just can't see it!!).

13. MartinIsAwesome Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 12:12

They all look rather decent. Now though, I'm wondering which system I should get 1,001 Spikes for. Considering it was originally designed for home consoles, I might have to go for the Wii U version... when I get one.
    Certainly, Harmonknight is also my most anticipated 3DS eShop game.

14. GuitarHero Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 17:05

I actually was about to ask for this, as it would be very useful to see.

15. fisher2007 Saturday 5th Jan 2013 at 21:34

harmo knight.

16. Waldy565 Sunday 6th Jan 2013 at 19:45

I saw the screenshots and saw Shantea... looking good, and Risky's Revenge is on the watch list (I can only find the original for a wallet-busting 100! I thought 10 was a lot better hehe,) ,and I was SO excited when Harmoknight was released, to find it was pushed back was devastating, but now we have a release date to juggle with, it's sounding good!

17. Waldy565 Sunday 6th Jan 2013 at 19:59

the trailer for 1001 spikes... SO GENERIC. Put me off, not only that, it looks really similar to other games all ready available... Maybe Nicalis will release some better games later down the line, still Harmoknight and Shantae for me

18. TheSlenderman Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 18:42

I have said before that I haven't seen anything on the 3ds eshop in a while that has caught my eye, but some of these games might just change that. I'm particularly interested by nightsky and harmoknight. :D