Pokemon X and Y Announced For 3DS

A new generation of fully 3D Pokemon coming in October

We waited, we got excited and it was all worth it - Pokemon X and Y are coming to 3DS. With a release date set for October, these new Pokemon games mark the beginning of a new generation.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata held a special, Pokemon-themed Nintendo Direct today to announce the games. After a brief history of the main series, he announced that the Pokemon X and Pokemon Y would be fully 3D, with new and old monsters making appearances, not to mention taking advantage of the 3DS' unique features in as-yet unspecified ways. Although the footage doesn't necessarily represent the final version, some of what we saw - including a giant spiderweb and what seemed to be a disco - certainly looked interesting.

In terms of new monsters, we have so far seen the three starters - the grass-type Chespin, fire-type Fennekin and water-type Froakie - as well as two unnamed new legendary Pokemon. We also saw the likes of Psyduck, Dratini and, of course, Pikachu.

Iwata also went into detail about how this would be the first Pokemon game to see simultaneous release across every major territory.

Unfortunately, the only thing we didn't get was the now-traditional Iwata insanity we've come to expect from Nintendo Directs. We can only hope he'll go for double the craziness in the next conference. We're predicting it will involve beehives or clones.

You can watch the full presentation yourself below, underneath those massive logos:

Comments

1. onmsam Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 11:48

i need them now :D

2. K-tet Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 11:51

This took us pleasantly by surprise, but Junichi Masuda inadvertently leaked the location of the game in his Twitter display pic. Shame the game isn't set here in England, because you know, it's a far superior country to France. =P </patriotism>

Those that called Gen 6 called it right. Gen 6 would've been my second option but instead I plumped for an RS remake. Oh well, I'm pleased either way. Worldwide release by October of this year too means the gauntlet has been thrown down by Iwata himself.

I'll probably pick up X. The flagship legendary looks boss!

3. onmsam Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 11:52

this game will really distract me when i go uni later this year

4. vix_chan Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 11:53

Oh-hoh, Yes, this is just what I wanted! :D
    Am most definitely getting Y, and who knows, might even get X if I feel like it.
    Starter has to be the Fire type.

I am so glad Nintendo have finally moved Pokémon onto the 3DS.
    Can’t wait to use all the 3DS unique qualities in this game (I am so sure that AR and Streetpass will be used)

Just a thought, wondering if they are going to somehow make trading between the old Black and White to the new Y and X games possible...

5. K-tet Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 11:57

Imagine a Pokémon Box app for the 3DS that accesses the Pokémon in your DS games and allows you to store them there. After that, you can upload them onto X and Y. That could most definitely work.

6. TomMc92 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:02

Fantastic news really enjoying white 2 so i can't wait for this release. The images you have look great, was hoping for a better looking pokemon and i'm not dissapointed. A world wide release too is brilliant as that means we won't have to wait like usual. I hope they keep dream world as i really enjoy that, or at least on improve on the idea. So is the better version of these two going to be Pokemon Z? I know it's way to early for that i just like the sound of it. I hope they also add more evolutions for older pokemon, really would like to see a lucario evolve form.

7. Kirby8 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:05

I knew it was going to be Gen VI! Just had to be!! That direct was short and sweet but absolutely amazing! Was a bit shocked by the names, I thought they might be placeholders at first, until the legendaries and then the image of the games names! No more colour names, but then Diamond and Pearl aren't really colour names (but were linked to blue and pink), Gen II and Gen III are more metals and gems, but are also colours. These two are linked to blue and pink again.

Can't believe we are getting them before the year ends! So excited!!! AHHHH!!! The games look amazing! Bit sad to see sprites go, but it does look fantastic!! Fire for me, because I always get fire! And the legendaries looked amazing! So damn awesome! Looks like the deer pokémon would be X and the bird is Y! Love them both! X looks stunning! Y looks amazingly evil!

I WANNA KNOW MORE ALREADY! I can't wait until more information is released! Is the region going to "carry on" from Unova or be new, starting back at Route 1. What will it be called? How many new Pokémon are we getting? How big is the region? What else is new? Who are the baddies? Why X and Y? I'm guessing ties to DNA and gender?

8. Ursa Minora Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:06

Where did he say it was set? To me it looks as if it's inspired heavily by Europe, as you can see the Eiffel Tower and Spanish canyons in the trailer.

9. zelda-legend93 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:07

Definitely thinking that the X and Y titles are in reference to DNA. I'm expecting more merging of Pokemon like Kyurem

10. Shinnos Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:09

I've never played a Pokemon game before, but I'm quite excited about the 3DS games and think I'll finally be taking the plunge and picking one up in October!

11. vix_chan Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:09

I am with you on that, no reson that they can't do it (they made a way to send pokemon from the old GBA carts to DS cards to as i recall)

12. Kirby8 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:16

Definitely the best way to go about it! They definitely need a quick way to transfer the whole lot of your Pokémon to your new game in one go (or at least in big chunks!).

13. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:25

I'll wait for the inevitable Z version XD
    Only joking! I won't be buying any of them.

14. Bulbasaur483 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:31

I predicted the names back in 2011. :shock:
    The starters are weird, but I like that deer-like legendary. Why do the graphics look like it's a DS game, though? Anyways, I'm still looking forward to these games.

15. lrwr14 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:31

I'll wait for the inevitable Z version XD
    Only joking! I won't be buying any of them.

Who's to say Nintendo won't make a Pokemon X2 and Pokemon Y2? Pkm B2/W2 could be the start of a new pokemon trend

16. Nintendo4Ever Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:42

I want to see a Farfetch'd evolution its had no love since 1995 :(. Apart from that, will definitely be preordering this as soon as I can, I'm so happy that this is happening. If Iwata announces a Pokemon Snap sequel before October I will just explode with Pokemon happiness... and I definitely wouldn't get any Uni work done :D .

This year is gonna be all about the 3DS!

17. Nintendo4Ever Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:47

Forget October pick one up now!!! You won't be able to fully appreciate the epicness of 3D Pokemon if you don't :D .
    I've waited since the GameCube and Pokemon Colosseum for this to happen and now it finally is!!!

18. ZodiacXYZ Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 12:55

This game is going to be like Ł40 and I'm going to be like "Yes. That is fine. Would you like more?" I am seriously too excited for words.

EDIT: I'm also going to tip right now some connection between Luvdisc and Alomomola in this generation.

19. ZodiacXYZ Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 13:05

I wouldn't feel too bad, the only reason I wasn't counting on it is because the graphical update since Gen 3 and Gen 5 isn't so great that it'd feel much different from the original. But if I knew they were working on those graphics then Id be singing a different tune! Imagine Cycling Road, Mt. Chinemy, surfing on Mr. Briney's ship towards Staleport beach with full 3D graphics.

20. Shmilly Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 13:05

Absolutely blew me away. I love the outlining on the 3D sprites, it's much better than the 3DS models in terms of the actual Pokemon art direction. Since I'm going to Japan for a year in September, it looks like for the first time ever I'm going to have to import a Pokemon game xD

21. KLMOSS Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 13:15

As a 32 year old gamer who still owns Yellow, Gold, Sapphire and White this announcement is EPIC! I will definitely be getting this delivered :) and yes I am aware I am that age and to some people too old but you know what I really couldn't care :P

22. toffeeman30 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 13:18

3d pokemon eh? i will stick to pokemon yellow ta

23. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 13:31

Fully 3D pokemon

This has been my dream since 1999.

This may well be the game that gets me back into Pokemon after Silver (I got Platinum but couldn't really get into it).

24. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 14:22

3D Pokemon = dream come true.

25. kirlia trainer Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 14:36

I'm so happy that I could cry! Good work, Pokémon!

26. fisher2007 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 14:55

that great news that Pokemon X and Y Announced For 3DS also i like the Fire type Starter.

27. LostNoob Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:00

I don't like the name, X and Y seriously?
    I like the art style but it could do with being a bit sharper, right now it looks like an original DS game, also the draw distance is a bit low, I assume they will fix that.
    Also what were all forgetting here, the biggest innovation to the Pokemon world, the ability to walk diagonally, yep at long last Pokemon trainers everywhere can move freely, no more having to build their structures to make up for the lack of movement.
    I wonder if gamefreak will release DLC packs for the games that allow for new quests, pokemon, areas to explore etc, that would be cool.

28. sciqueen Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:06

The Water-type starter is hysterical. The Fire type will be my chosen Pokemon. The Grass type looks like Oshawott :/

29. fapchapval Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:09

I'm highly expecting Fennekin's evolutions to be Fire/Psychic, because at 8:00 in the video, Fennekin perfoms a Psychic looking attack, and also the Pokemon itself looks quite....psychic-ey. (Reminds me a bit of Zorua, actually) The other two I have no clue of. Probably Water/Fighting and Grass/Ground or perhaps just Grass evos. Anyway, that's enough speculating for now. But this game looks great!!! :D :D :D It looks like the setting is going to be Europe, as some people said already. If so, it'd be awesome to run around places you know you've been to in reality :)

30. Laughlyn Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:18

The blue deer type (what i pressume) legendary looked like a cross between Dialga and Virizion, the red one looked pretty beasty too, think i may end up buying both versions this time round

Av also just gotta have Froakie, proper amazing

31. Da_Epic_Fail Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:19

Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie all look great. The two legendaries look like they're from Miyazaki movies and the graphical overhaul and 3D world look amazing.
    Well, this is the first time a trailer has gotten me this pumped. :D

32. Laughlyn Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:22

I don't like the name, X and Y seriously?

to be fair tho 3DS screenshots and videos in 2D always look awful, i've heard of some wii u announcement too so hopefully some kinda NFC linkup to get unique new event pokemon and as for dlc in a way pokemon has always had dlc, oaks letter, secret key all opened up new areas in the game which technically is what dlc is and even with the items being on cart already, its deffinitly up there with what EA and capcom are doing lol

33. K-tet Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:25

For those wondering why X and Y as the game names? Part of it is related to chromosomes yes, but actually, it's more to do with axial planes. X is horizontal, Y is vertical. Z jokes have been going around the internet, with me being responsible for the "on the next exciting episode of Pokémon Z..." I couldn't pass up a DBZ reference. =P

I'm hoping for an interesting mix of dual-types for the starters. We could have a Fire/Psychic type right off the bat, so how cool would it be to have a Grass/Dark and a Water/Fighting hybrid to bring about a reversible yet interchangeable balance to the formula?

The type weaknesses (and resistances if you were to reverse the direction) would read this way (primary type top, secondary type bottom):
    Fire ----> Grass ----> Water --->
    Psychic <- Dark <- Fighting <-
    (N.B. Extra arrows added just so that you can see the wrap around from Water back to Fire. Water beats Fire, Psychic beats Fighting).

It would certainly make for an interesting competition between the starters, knowing they're weak and resistant to each others primary and secondary types respectively. Of course, I'm simply throwing my own ideas out there. Don't mind me.

If it does happen, I totally called it. =3

34. Ai64 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:31

Yay! The main pokemon series has finaly made it to the 3DS!
    I'm impressed with the 3D too. I can't wait for more details to come. :D

35. oOFreddieHillOo Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:35

I'm pretty sure that the X and Y don't relate to DNA/Gender

I think it refers to the X Y Z axis (Dimensions)

The Legendary X Pokemon is a stag - The X axis measures distance, so the stag will travel across land
    The Legendary Y Pokemon is a bird/dragon - The Y axis measures height, so the bird will fly up high etc

The third game will most likely be Z because X Y Z represent three dimensions - which would make perfect sense as this is the first 3D pokemon installment! :D

36. shadowlugia101 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:45

OH MY GOD!!! THIS LOOKS AMAZING MUST HAVE NOW! :D

37. Silverkin Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:47

(SCREAM!!)
    Shout up and take my money!! Shut the Front Door!!! Shut Up!!
    Words cant express my excitement, i feel like an child now but who cares...

38. DynamicPunch202 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:52

We knew this was going to happen, this just looks amazing. The new starters look fantastic and I adore the new legendary's. The only reason I wont get these is if I die of excitement looking at the trailers! When these come out, no one will see me for a few months.

39. PeterR Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 15:53

Fire ----> Grass ----> Water --->
    Psychic <- Dark <- Fighting <-

If it does happen, I totally called it. =3

yea thats what i thought about the x/y axis and great idea about the reverse secondary type match ups, hope they do that.

but yea re-watching the video that statue as he crosses the bridge seems to have several pokemon on. one appears to be golurk and i think an eevee may be standing on its hand but i cant make it out properly, can anyone else?

40. NintyFan90 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:08

I'm pretty sure that the X and Y don't relate to DNA/Gender

I think it refers to the X Y Z axis (Dimensions)

I agree with your comment :)

There have been comments on Youtube and forums saying that the X legendary is female and y legendary is male, or X and Y are based on the genders of Pokemon in each game ect. The gender of Pokemon has been around since G/S/C (Gen 2) so those statements are incorrect. To add my opinion to the reasoning behind the names, as these 3D based Pokemon games are the first to be introduced on the 3DS, the X and Y were taken from the 'three-dimensional space' concept where there are 3 co-ordinates labeled (X,Y and Z).

I was thinking the announcement might of been a new spin-off game for the Wii U and 3DS to be released simultaneously. Possibly a game similar to Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. My prediction wasn't too far off considering it is a 3D game but it's only going to be on the 3DS. :)

41. BrychanCymru Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:08

the y mascot will be the bird pokemon because when it spreads it wings and tail it looks like a y, the stag on the other hand probably is but i cant think of a way that it could represent x, horns and legs maybe?

42. Pyron12 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:20

The X and Y has 2 meanings. The axis X, Y and Z and the 23rd Chromosome XX/XY. (I can't believe I actually made a science reference for pokemon).

43. Samster296 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:32

Wow. This game looks stunning. The new graphics look awesome and the new starters look pretty cool. I assume the bird Pokémon at the end of the trailer is the legendary Pokémon for Y (seeing as it made a Y shape) and the Deer like Pokémon will be the legendary for X.

I am really looking forward to seeing the 3D battles and looking at the new Pokémon.

Bring on October!

44. Smyrlie Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:37

Omygod Omygod Omygod. I just celebrated for about 20 minutes, these games look EPIC. I cannot wait to pick these up. I'm a bit disappointed at no RS remakes but this look absolutely amazing! :mrgreen:

45. TenTen Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:50

These look awesome...it's just how I wanted Gen VI to be like. I like the idea of a global release, too. When I first saw the starters, I was like 'Wait...there's a firefox?' Prefer the Y lengdary.

46. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:52

I was honestly more excited for this announcement than I was for Christmas...and...well, GameFreak, you've done it. You genuinely surprised me. Well done!

Starters: Waterboarding torture, anyone? Seems less painful....They honestly suck. The worst ever. Hate them with all my heart.

Legendaries: Actually look pretty cool. Nice designs and reasonably cool without looking like yugioh cards (as Zekrom/Reshiram did)

Names: Bad. Interesting idea about the DNA, but....'X Version' and 'Y Version' aren't working for me :L

Graphics: Woah. Hell yeah! Full 3d will be awesome.....that said I'm gonna miss the sprites! We've been with them for so long!

Overall: Great announcement (apart from the starters.) I was amazed they have a trailer out, and about the release date being so soon - obviously they've been working on them for a while, which explains why BW2 even exist....

But yeah, looking pretty sweet!

Oh, I almost forgot....DIAGONAL WALKING

47. Mew3 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:57

I hope they do a limited edition 3ds with the game. I'll probably get x because my brother wants y and i can't choose between those awesome legendaries, and the fire starter is adorable. Can't wait to see it's evolutions :D

48. Starman64O Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 17:12

*watches announcement*

OH SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOT

By Arceus. I just practically finished Black 2, now this?

I mean, it looks awesome and epic and I hope for the life of me that there's character customisation, but how many Pokémon will there be this time? Judging by the previous increases, I'd imagine there will be around the 750 mark...

Please... No going over 800...

Anyway, the starters look... okay.
    Chespin is a grass type Osshawot, or at least looks like one.
    Froakie... What the Froak is it?
    Fennekin, a stupid name, but best looking at the mo, just waiting to see the evolutions.

Finally, those legendary thingys resemble Trios from Unova. The Bird thing may be soemthing to do with the Kami Trio (you know, Therian formes and stuff), and I bet my copy of Yellow that the glowy reindeer thing has something related to the Swords of Justice. Maybe?

Only time will tell...

49. shy guy 64 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 17:21

looking forward to them immensely

probably going to go for the one with that awesome stag on it

50. singlesaviour Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 18:24

So excited about this, it looks so awesome!

51. Cloneydew2000 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:14

It looks awesome, but it'll still be slightly annoying if they use 3d and still make us walk in four directions :roll:

52. roshpat42 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:16

Based on the shape and colour of the two new legendaries, I think the deer will be on Pokemon X and the bird on Pokemon Y.

53. pikachu101 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:29

Pokemon X and Y look like there in a league of their own. cannot wait for it to be released. BRING ON OCTOBER 2013 :D :)

54. vtheyoshi Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:33

If I'm getting this, I'll be choosing the fire type, for sure.

55. dap005 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:35

I was expecting a spin-off, that alone would have made me happy (especially if it had been Snap).

But this was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

Pokemon it finally venturing into the 3D world of XYZ (took me a while to click about the names) in what's probably the most appropriate console for it. I know the new look may divide some; all I know is that my heart skipped a beat when I saw the first screenshot on this page so I'm definitely on board.

56. IG-42 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:44

i was in the college canteen when i saw this
    i literally had to keep myself from squeeing

57. Lego master Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:46

Just last year I played my first Pokemon game, Diamond, and I enjoyed it so I'll definitely be getting this!

58. Argenthor Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 19:53

Totally surprised by this.

The best parts of the trailer was the shot outside the town, letting us see that the normal wilds have been made completely 3d and the battles. This looks good!

59. chazrinelli Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 20:02

Looks so horribly rendered :( hopefully its just those images!!

60. Tams Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 21:24

So excited! I've been dreaming of a handheld 3D pokémon for years (like many I assume). I think I might buy both for a change and if there is a Z, that as well, though that doesn't seem to be the route pokémon is taking now.

I'm so happy that I could cry! Good work, Pokémon!

You mean Game Freak and Nintendo?

I predicted the names back in 2011. :shock:

I'm guessing part of the reason the graphics don't look great are because they are scaled up on the screen your viewing the trailer on, YouTube quality is not great and the games are not yet finished.

61. Kirby8 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 22:09

HAHA! Same!

And I agree. When I first saw Alomomola, I was shocked that it wasn't an evolution! I get that they wanted to make Unova separate, so no pokémon were evolutions, but then maybe they should have saved some of the designs. I thought that they were then going to add the links in B2W2, since older pokémon showed up there, but nope.

Maybe with the whole DNA/Gene thing underlying (or so we are guessing), maybe they'll explain links with something like "We have discovered some pokémon's DNA are actually linked and one Pokémon can evolve into another when it couldn't before using (insert new type of evolution here, probably a new item like gene splicer or something)."

Luvdisc and Alomomola aren't the only ones. Dunsparce and Stunfisk could be linked. And Tauros and Bouffalant could be linked.

62. RiksilveR Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 22:33

Wowza. This should rather good. So long as the rest of the Pokemon they add stick to the level of creativity of the ones shown so far (excluding froakie, it's a tad rubbishy) and leave out some of the dodgy Gen V 'mon (I'm looking at you, Trubbish. Just leave.)
    I'm guessing the special 3DS features will include street pass battles of some sort of another. Things I'm hoping for are a) customisable trainers (might be looking into this too deeply, but the guy had a mirror, so he must care about his appearance, so he must be able to change it) and b) the return of the underground. Best Pokemon side attraction ever.
    As for the talk of links between genV and older Pokemon, I'm guessing they might breed for new prevolutions.

63. neilmo Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 22:39

I just want to sleep until these come out. Also, dear genwunners, don't hate. It's Pokémon. And yes there may be some 3d pieces of Pokémon, but hey, there's never been a gen of all Pokémon, there's always a few badasses, each gen has had it's strengths and weaknesses. We all remember Muk, don't we? He sucked, but nobody cares, but when Garbodor happened OH MY GOD. Wow. A Pokémon. Every gen has had them and every gen will. Besides, if they were all Charizard and Ampharos and other badass pals, how would we choose? Having stupid Pokémon is necessary for a) a wide variety b) battling stupid ass bikers with Grimer, Muk, Koffing and Weezing and c) laughing at. Pokémon is not made for genwunners, believe it or not there is another generation, who are just as valid players as those beginning in Pallet Town. Just enjoy it.
    Peace, love, Jigglypuff and that cute mofo Shaymin
    Ps I still love gen one, but every gen deserves praise.

64. mattadoor Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 22:43

Just throwing this out there, but have Nintendo/GameFreak confirmed that these are the three starter Pokemon? I love the designs I think they look amazing, it just seems an odd assortment for starters. Highly unlikely I know but is it possible that these are randomly selected Pokemon that just happen to be grass/fire/water types? Either way I ain't fussed!

This is gonna be one hell of a game!

65. Nickario Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 23:09

At first I groaned about a new Generation already (we've had a new gen and a proper sequel to it the last couple of years) and I figured it was too soon.

Then I watched the trailer!

The battle animations look spiffing! In fact totally different to the over-world graphics, the over-world seems kind of unpolished but yeah the pokemon during the battle scenes really surprised me. Very pleased to see the European setting (or just French not sure) but I do hope towns and cities will represent other capitals of Europe like London, Madrid, Berlin, Amsterdam, etc, there's a lot of cultures in Europe and would be good for Game Freak to explore to represent the people in game during development.

I do have a suspicion however, since we're getting another new generation already, it seems to me GF want to move away from Gen5 as quick as possible...I'm all too aware the complaints people had with a lot of the designs of many Gen5 Pokemon and lack of favourite Pokemon available in game.

66. Pappi Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:11

Rubbish name but otherwise looks awesome. The stag reminds me of the thing from princess monoke. But wow...they have updated the engine at last

67. Combusken Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 13:10

Looking at the battling in the trailer it reminds me of the Pokemon Stadium games where we could see our Pokemon's attacks hit our opponent's Pokemon. However Pokemon X and Pokemon Y appears to take it one step further by showing Pokemon actually touching another Pokemon when they are hit a pokemon with certain moves. (e.g. in the trailer at 8:09 where Patrat is a victim of a attack, Patrat be seen being hit by Froakie.)

68. geengy Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 17:04

The announcement of a game never made me happy enough to actually physically smile in real life ( I'm weird, I'm like an emotionless statue sometimes) but this really made me smile. It's all new and stuff. Taller characters, new perspective, 3DS, Utilization of features, new, more detailed pokemon, old pokemon-
    -ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH GIMME GIMME GIMEGIMEGIMEGIMEGGGGGGGGIIIIMMEEEEEEEEHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!-
    -*Clears throat*
    Maybe it's best I don't smile anymore.

69. Nintendo4Ever Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 18:13

If you watch the trailer again the deer Pokemon has the antlers and two small things coming out of its shoulders maybe that could be the answer? (never thought of the legs though)

If not then the X on the logo frays at the top only whereas the Y frays at each end maybe that could symbolise the antlers and feathers/ wings respectively?

So excited for October! Pokemon X and Y for Game Of The Year!!!

70. DynamicPunch202 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 18:48

So excited for October! Pokemon X and Y for Game Of The Year!!!

If you look carefully, it has X's in it's eyes

71. NoahMHathaway Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 20:45

This doesn't feel like Pokemon...it looks like a Sims game I had for the DS or Final Fantasy III, also for the DS. I liked the animation for those games, but not Pokemon. I've been a Pokemon fan sense I've been able to hold a Game Boy and the basic over-view design has never changed which was good! It feels as if it's one of the games that was like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger Etc. (Not like the main games such as Pokemon Red and Blue) It no longer feels like what I know and love... :cry:

72. SaulAvenger Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 07:46

Just focussing in on the x/y(/possibly z) detail of this new 3D venture, I wonder if you'll be able to take to the skies in search of pokemon, similar to the way r/s/e introduced dive, to add another dimension to the game?

I could be reading too much into the 3D aspect though ;D

73. Nintendo4Ever Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 18:13

I could be reading too much into the 3D aspect though ;D

Or maybe they could use ideas from the Distortion World from Pokemon Platinum but on a larger scale, it could then link into the new evil teams' idea in some way by tampering with the dimensions.

74. SaulAvenger Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 22:13

I could be reading too much into the 3D aspect though ;D

I could see that working as a new Entralink type feature, and from what some people have been suggesting, it could also be the reason for a co-op mechanic in the game. It's just a matter of how far out Game Freak are willing to push the story line after everything they've already done.

75. Kirby8 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 03:48

So excited for October! Pokemon X and Y for Game Of The Year!!!

@Dynamicpunch, yeah, it's got X in the eyes. But it's also represented by the whole body form.
    @Brychan, that's what I thought. I mentioned it on another post. The design is very clever! The legs are the bottom of the X, which isn't frayed. While the top is the antlers, which is frayed, just like the X. The body of the pokémon is also blue, like the logo.
    Y has frays on each end and is a red/pink, just like the Pokémon which has what looks like claws at the end of each wing and is red/pink underneath. Their whole body represents the logos, which is amazingly cool! I'm surprised people are unsure whether this is how it is represented, I mean it's not even mentioned in Serebii's bio of the pokémon, I thought it was quite obvious. Especially the way the fray is at each end on Y, but only the top of X, representing the pokémon. I know in the trailer, the pokémon has it's legs together, making it look more like a Y. But it's obvious that when it spreads it's legs, which it would probably do when in battle stance, it would look like an X.

76. themightyboar Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 18:52

anyone noticed that the mascot for y looks more than a little like a fusion between groundon and lugia with a little bit of darkrai thrown in.
    plus water starters forever!

77. TwilightSparkle Saturday 2nd Mar 2013 at 14:49

I bet when the fire starter evolves it will be another Fire/Fighting one