Pokemon X and Y looks amazing

Serebii's Joe Merrick and our own Marti Bennett deliver their verdicts on the new games

We were stunned when Pokemon X and Y were announced this morning. Of course it was only a matter of time before we saw a 3D Pokemon game on 3DS but the news that the Pokemon X and Y release date is set for October all over the world is amazing. But what do the Pokemon experts think of the new games. Joe Merrick, founder of the excellent Pokemon fan site Serebii.net, and ONM blogger Marti Bennett deliver their verdicts.

Marti Bennett's trailer analysis

When Iwata started going through the history of Pokemon during Pokemon Direct I was convinced he was going to announce Generation VI. He was also pointing out the lengthy release gaps between countries, so I assumed he was building up to saying 'and these games are getting a same day worldwide release!'. He did just that. Well, the same month anyway.

After a brief six minute history lesson on past main series Pokemon games, Pikachu introduced to us the new generation of Pokemon games on 3DS (with handy subtitles for those of you not fluent in Pikachu-speak).

The trailer started with the main character looking into a mirror. Could this mean customisable main characters? I hope so! I had previously wished for Pokemon to stick with sprite-based animation, but I understand that the series needs to move forward and the 3D models still have the same feel.

Then the silhouettes of the Starters appeared and I just went CRAZY. I didn't think they would actually show us the Starters yet but they then went on to show our new Starters - Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie. I'm already in love with Fennekin and I cant wait to see its further evolutions.

The new improved 3D battle system looks amazing. I have often turned battle animations off in my games to save time but I can't see myself turning off these battle moves. They almost look like a home console battle simulator. If this can be done on a handheld, I cant wait to see if it will happen on the Wii U someday.

We then saw a short non-gameplay cinematic showing off what looks like the new Legendaries. I look forward to finding out more about the story behind them.

After the cinematic, the names of the games were finally revealed - Pokemon X and Pokemon Y versions. I'm happy the series is moving away from colours, as people's predictions for 'the next Pokemon colours' were getting a little bit silly. Pokemon Grey, for example.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the announcement. I was sceptical about such a big change but I understand it's just what the series needs. I hope the world in which it is set is just as big as the previous games and I look forward to seeing all the new features. Roll on October!

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Commandervideo Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:09

However, the X & Y plus inclusion of the double helix in the Japanese logos (pictured above) is intriguing. To me, it seems like this game will have some sort of Pokemon genetics feature so I can't wait to see how this is handled.

DNA it is then. Some say X,Y,Z dimensions. But I never noticed the helix in the logo. Defiantly DNA, or maybe a bit of both.

2. DynamicPunch202 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:11

I wish October would hurry up and arrive, but I'm gonna have lots of fun building up to them.

3. CyberGW Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:22

Great article.
    I love the look of X and Y. The starters are absolutely amazing. Love Chespin but Froakie is also very cool indeed. I guess I'll have to wait and see the evolutions before I decide. And then the 3D world, brilliant. Just what I've wanted in the Pokémon series.
    I'm not mad about the new legendaries yet, but they do look really rather cool and I'm sure when they've got names and we know their origins, they'll really grow on me. I was the same with Reshiram and Zekrom at first.
    I also love how they both form an X and a Y, the bird one especially.
    And interesting idea Marti, it could end up with a great story if they involve and genetic kind of idea.
    Simply, cannot wait!

4. torterratrainer Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:28

now i wants BW2!!! :(

why did i have to get Mario and wii U

shame i cant finish off with a pun as i finished Unit 1 Biology a year ago and am currently onto unit 3 with and exam in the next two weeks on unit 2.

5. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 16:43

All the love for the starters honestly make me feel a little ill....but I won't rant, already left my (strong) opinions on them in the 'New Pokemon' article :)

I was honestly surprised by this. Clearly they've been working on the games for a long time, which explains why BW2 even exist.

So as I checked Serebii for the news, these are my reaction stages:

*Sees starters* "OMG KILL ME NOW SOMEONE PLEASE"

*Watched trailer* WOWOW FULL 3D = DIAGONAL WALKING LOOKS SICK AND LEGENDARIES ARE BEAST

*Pokemon X/Y* ....Oh.....well that sounds dumb, guess they ran out of colours at last

Still, was more excited for this news than I was by Christmas, and I was very surprised! Gonna miss the sprites though!

6. shy guy 64 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 17:27

its pokemon i'll love it no matter what

7. VinceLovesToast Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 17:45

Cant wait 2 see new pokemon I,d like another water type legendary but poisin is the only type without a legendary so it should get one

8. Amidamaru Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 18:42

wow nintendo are actually listening to fans for once, it only took them almost 15 years. Why didn't they do this the other year instead of bringing out the rubbish they did. Can't wait for October, I'm in a hurry to forget B/W and B/W 2

9. Zuhzoo Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 20:02

I agree exactly with this article! I thought of character customisation when I saw the mirror too, although I don't know if I am being too hopeful there. Even if the customisation was basic I would love it! Otherwise the look of the game is amazing.

I can't wait to play this! I was pretty excited for black and white, but this is something else :P

10. CraigEmberson Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 20:50

It is possible that it's a double entendre, being based on D.N.A. and referencing the new updated 3D Space involved. 3D Space has an X, Y and Z axis. It's been pointed out that while both legendaries share the general pattern of an X and Y - They both have one eye that is an X and one that is a Y, as well as their body stature being posable in both formations (the Y legendary's wings, tail and head can also be an X and then we saw the X legendary in a Y pose). I have a feeling we'll see a Land, Sky and Sea theme - meaning that the 3rd will possibly be a sea creature.

11. vix_chan Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 21:13

The trailer started with the main character looking into a mirror. Could this mean customizable main characters? I hope so!

This is one think I have been hoping for in a Pokémon game for a long time now. How much better is it that players from around the world are all individually created.
    I hope it is true, but who can say for sure...
    Only time will tell.

12. lrwr14 Tuesday 8th Jan 2013 at 21:36

I guess Nintendo like the idea of merging two pokemon together (Pokemon black2/white2 did this) that they are going to make it the focus of the next game.

13. Kirby8 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 01:59

It was so obvious they were going to announce Gen VI before the actual presentation. They've never done one before and they made a big deal out of it. Masuda said Pokémon will evolve. Logical conclusion would be Gen VI and would have been surprised to see anything else.

The history of the games made me smile so much!! And when he was showing it all, you could tell he was going to announce Gen Vi, taking a giant leap as well as he was saying that Pokémon always takes use of everything. And with the narrowing dates, not just for Pokémon as he was pointing out, but for all big Nintendo games, I would have been surprised the the release wasn't simultaneous.

I was also very intrigued by the mirror. It could be an added customisation, but maybe it's just trying to show how far the graphics have come.

The visuals are breathtaking! It's sad to see sprites go, but then a guess the day had to come. And I'm not complaining...as they are absolutely amazing!! The world looks frickin' fantastic!! I can't wait to see more of it! Ooo, and how it's going to look in 3D, ahhh!!

When they showed the silhouettes, I thought "Damn! It's going to be like last time when they kept teasing us with silhouettes!"!! Like I said in my prediction, I thought they were going to show at least a couple of new Pokémon, and feared we'd be teased with silhouettes, which would drive me crazy and would have kept screaming "SHOW THEM." HAHA!. So glad that they did!! Definitely Fire for me too. I always get fire, so it's kinda moot. But Fennekin does look super cool! I can't wait to see how they all evolve! I want more already!

The new 3D battle system looks fantastic. Can't believe you turn it off on other games Marti. But glad you'll keep this one on. This blows BW version of 'dynamic' out of the water! It does make you think of the 3D battle systems on the home consoles, very dynamic! And it did make me think just how great Pokémon Stadium 3 could be!! WANT!

The legendaries look amazing!! I love how they both signify the letters, the bird being shaped as a Y and the Deer being shaped as an X (when it spreads it legs out that is, in the video it's more of a Y pose). They fit them nearly exactly with the colours being the same. Also, for Y, it has the wavy, flow 4 branch part on each end (like Y legend has claws on each end =, but only 3), and X has the wavy bits only at the top (like the Deer has branchy antlers, but normal legs). Definitely mascots for each version, I'd say.

The XY part to me immediately struck me as genetics related. I know you could have Z version and have it represent dimensions, but I didn't think so. I somehow think that they would more likely to X2 Y2. I think the storyline will be based around genetics this time. Maybe the baddies have some sort of gene splicer and it can help them make something amazing. Flashbacks of Mewtwo storyline and DNA obviously makes me think of Deoxys. I think that they are definitely going down a DNA storyline, but we'll have to see.

All in all, a short, sweet and AMAZING presentation! So hyped for this game!! Can't wait!!