Why Pokemon X and Y aren't coming to Wii U

The Pokemon Company explains all

The Pokemon Company has explained why Game Freak decided to kick off the next generation of Pokemon games on 3DS rather than Wii U. Pokemon X and Y are coming to 3DS in October and like the previous Pokemon RPGs, they are handheld-only games.

Some fans have talked about the possibility of a Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate-style 3DS and Wii U link -up but J.C. Smith, the director of consumer marketing for the Pokémon company international, has told Game Informer why Game Freak decided to stick to handhelds for Pokemon X and Y.

"I can't speak to the specifics, but traditionally Game Freak has always loved the game to be on a portable device because of the communication, trading, and the experience of taking this adventure with you," said Smith. That's why they've always prioritised a portable version of the game first. They've always liked what you can do in the real world with that."

Asked why a proper console RPG has never been released on a console, Smith said: "It comes down to what the creators want to do. Every time I've heard them talk about it, it's been about the portable experience, taking the adventure with you, being able to share it with friends, communicate, trade, battle - really encouraging that interaction."

Are you happy that Pokemon X and Y are being released for 3DS only or would you have liked to see a Wii U Pokemon RPG?

Comments

1. Slinkington Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 09:44

I find these games far better suited to the handhelds.

However, the Wii U is what Nintendo should be focusing on right now, we already have a few 1st party 3DS games coming out this year, but the Wii U we know nothing about really. Pikmin and Wii Fit aren't cutting it.

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:36

thinking a main series pokemon game would come out for a home console is just wishful thinking

3. Zen Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:48

Pokemon games are better suited for handhelds, but that doesn't mean it can't function on a home console. It would be nice if they released Pokemon X and Y for the Wii U as well, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

4. vix_chan Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 11:05

I would like X and Y to be able to communicate with the Wii U ( a bit like how we have used our old games on GameCube and Wii as storage or 3D battles, but something more spectacular for Wii U I think)

We have to remember that Pokémon means Pocket Monsters, the whole point being that (not just the characters carrying monsters in little balls) the game is portable and that we can carry it wherever we go.

5. LewiiG Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 12:54

It definitely makes more sense for games like these to be mainly on a portable console...
    But we definitely need another pokemon home console game! Colosseum and XD were amazing and we haven't had anything like it for years.

6. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 13:44

The games are more suited for handhelds,thought I wouldn't say no to a proper Pokemon game on Wii U.

7. Kirby8 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 14:56

It shouldn't be on the Wii U. I agree with their decision. Like vix-chan said above, it's called Pocket Monsters so they should come with you. Pokémon main series should always be handheld. They could give us a 3rd Shadow game, or a new spin-off if they want, and I'd love a 3rd Pokémon Stadium. That's what I want from the Wii U in terms of links to a/the full game. Pokémon Snap 2 would also be nice (PLEASE!).

8. CFCrusader Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 15:10

They could be clever and release Pokemon Z for the Wii U, and have compatibility with the 3DS versions - so that you can trade pokemon to eachother. Z could also be a bit different to the 3DS versions, better graphics (no 3D tho) and more things for the story instead of wireless play.

9. adamatsu Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 15:12

3DS has all the good Nintendo games this year.

10. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 17:11

They've said it won't happen so I honestly don't know why people continue to get their hopes up...

11. Jake 346 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 21:46

Err... Who expected it to come to Wii U?

12. Ankit Tuesday 5th Feb 2013 at 20:42

I'd think these games would be great on a Wii U, the remote of the Wii U should have been portable and basically replace 3ds's so that you could save games on the WIii u AND on your portable device

13. Kain Davison Friday 22nd Mar 2013 at 16:55

I have always wished that they would make a Pokemon RPG for home devices. I have wanted this since he Wii first came out. Why can't they bring out the game and link the DS to the Wii U and then all corners are covered. However, if they were to create a Pokemon RPG for the Wii U, I think they should begin with remaking Pokemon yellow and letting people remember how pokemon started. (But with running shoes.) :lol:

14. xDry Bones Thursday 11th Apr 2013 at 19:51

I made this account strictly to say this, if the handheld aspect is the only thing preventing pokemon from hitting a console I would make a humble suggestion, I would love to see a way to play on the handheld as an extension of an MMO version that I desperately want to see eventually. All I'm saying is if I could play pokemon on the handheld as usual BUT come home and plug in to a system and suddenly were in an MMO scenario with all of your data or whatnot with a whole new objective. If you can make a mysterious gift function with a little pikachu walky interact with a gameboy, then take that idea on a larger scale and you'd have my money for the rest of my life! New games become new expansions and it will all flow together instead of a broken up continuation which eventually will become the beating of a dead horse! Just my opinion.

15. Zamros Thursday 11th Apr 2013 at 23:33

Nevertheless, I'd love to see another Console Pokemon game. Maybe bringing back Genius Sonority to develop it. It would save their talent going to waste on Learn with Pokemon and The Denpa Men.

16. smashbrother Saturday 14th Sep 2013 at 15:05

Maybe they could do a Pokemon Stadium style game that has a X/Y game mode that works by uploading your save file just like on Monster Hunter, which would also have a few extras like colosseum mode, mini games, and a visual version of Pokémon Bank where you could see you Pokémon as if they were on a ranch or something, but not with the toy looking versions of Pokemon. There's potential and I'm sure the Wii U could handle it. I'd just quite like a Stadium game anyway with HD Pokémon. :)