Pokemon X and Y to feature more complex types of Pokemon

The number of Pokemon goes over 700 with new games

Pokemon X and Y will feature more complex types of Pokemon. That's the word from Ishihara Tsunekazu, the President of the Pokemon Company.

So far, we have seen five new Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y, including the Starters, and two other Pokemon who look like they could be Legendary. Yet beyond the traditional Water, Fire and Grass Types, it seems there will be more complex types.

Speaking with 4Gamer, Ishihara Tsunekazu said that you can expect a rich ecosystem and more complex types of Pokemon as the number of Pokemon in existence pushes over 700.

Whether there will be 700 Pokemon to catch in Pokemon X And Y is a different matter. After all, Pokemon Black And White only featured new Pokemon until you completed the story.

The Pokemon X And Y release date is set for October.

What new Types would you like to see in Pokemon X and Y?

Comments

1. Slinkington Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:11

Black and White suffered because you fought such a small handful of different Pokemon throughout the story. They should really vary it this time. B/W 2 was a bit better about it, so I'm hoping this will be better still.

2. hammster Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:23

He wasn't speaking with 4Chan!

3. boxdude10 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:24

You got this info from 4Chan?? Yeah, that's a really reliable source :roll:

4. SnorlaxMonster Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:27

I think you mean 4Gamer, not 4Chan.

5. BattleGooseUK Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:27

4Chan... erm... I don't think so.

6. shy guy 64 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:31

good to know

7. King Slazo Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 10:37

Freudian slip, Mr East? :wink:

But yeah, every gen features "complex" and "simple" Pokémon, so that's hardly news. Main interest willbe just how many they add. We'll be up to 750 total at least, maybe pushing towards 800...

Not really. BW1 were intended as a new set of "originals", and I thought they did a great job with creating a whole new set (even if some were clearly just redos of Pokémon from the first four gens, like Chansey to Audino). Heck, fighting the Elite Four for the first time who all pulled out final evolutions you hadn't seen before was great. There was the occassional time where the lack of choice limited them I admit (Drayden and Iris's Gym comes to mind), but on the whole I didn't notice Pokémon repeating all the time.

8. tomonm Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 11:09

:oops: Yes, 4Gamer!

9. Tailzy Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 14:23

Just over 700 hundred isn't a lot, really. It doesn't look like the list will be as big as B/W at any rate

10. Mew3 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 15:21

Instead of having more types, I think those "more complex types of pokemon" might be something to do with the dna references

11. PeterR Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 15:48

Well that's interesting. I wonder what he means by more complex types. Maybe Mew3 is right and its to do with dna, in which case maybe it will turn out pokemon have recessive genotypes we have never seen and by breeding them in certain ways you can create all sorts of wonderful cross breeds of water charizards and psychic braviarys although maybe that would be going a bit far. Only time will tell i suppose.

12. BrychanCymru Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 16:33

a light type would be great, maybe sun and moon?maybe there'll be 3 different types for one Pokemon? also a space and star type :D

13. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 17:13

Don't think they'll add any types, I think what they mean by 'more complex' is the whole DNA theory, or just some cooler type combinations (like the starters being Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting etc)

14. Nintendo4Ever Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 17:53

When it says 'complex types' I think they'll either introduce new type combinations to make the type system more complicated or (and I hope this is the case) they'll allow us to change one type of dual type Pokemon, or possibly give them new types altogether which would link into the DNA aspect of the titles.

Bring on October so I can see if I'm right or not (and so I can get my hands on these games Dagnabbitt!!!!!)
    :D

15. thenintendoer Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 18:34

i hate to think whatll be like when there more than 1000 pokemon

16. singlesaviour Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 19:07

At first I thought maybe a new type, although I'd love to see maybe cross breeding or something? Also triple type Pokemon would be pretty awesome ^_^

17. Argenthor Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 19:23

Very good point which I hadn't considered,

What about DNA mergers? (Similar to digimon's DNA digivolve) Maybe even requiring two pokemon to become one... e.g. Slowbro

18. Accelgor7 Wednesday 9th Jan 2013 at 19:58

There aren't really any new types i can think of.

19. K-tet Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 12:11

I'm one for more types, I'm also one for more unusual dual-typing. Glad to see someone here likes the whole idea I proposed of Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting dual-type starters in another thread. Perhaps that will catch on. ^^

We'll wait and see. If anything, if they are going to add new types, it needs to bring balance to the metagame. Anything that checks Dragons in their entirety whilst holding a weakness to a lesser-type (e.g. Psychic, they're not as strong as they once were) would benefit the game in the long run. Ice isn't exactly a wonderful type defensively (given Fighting-type is one of the most excessively-used types in the game, plus Rock weakness puts it on the 'suck' list).

20. Nintendo4Ever Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 14:59

Instead of more types, I think they should introduce more moves focused on reducing/ increasing special attack. Almost every stat reducing move is either for defence or attack, the only Sp.Att reducing move I can think of is that weak bug type move introduce last gen. Although new types (or new type combinations) would be good, I think they should pay attention to the fact that there's hardly any moves to reduce Sp.Att and a lot for physical attacks (there's even an ability that reduces it for Pete's sake)!

21. pppongi Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 14:13

it's strange... when i first saw these Pokemon i thought they were fake and some random person made them but now...sheesh :?:

22. Zuhzoo Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 23:41

If it means new type combos I would love to see some conflicting type combos like fire/water or grass/fire etc, could be really interesting. Grass/fire makes me think of those plants that survive wildfire/use it to spread their seeds. There could be other stuff like fire/ice or basically any combo we haven't seen yet, and I would be happy!

It would be strange to add a new type after all this time and I'm not sure what would work. And would old pokemon be reclassified like magnemite from the first gen? Light type seems kind of doable but unneccessary... it seems similar to electric or psychic (hey, another great combo there- electric/psychic). I can't think of any new type at the moment that would really be good in the games. I used to want fungus type when I was younger but the games have been fine without it.

*edit: I'd have to reserve judgement on triple-types to see how it worked. My instinct is that it shouldn't be done but I don't want to underestimate the potential of them because I would probably end up enjoying triple types! :lol: