Pokemon X and Y - Your verdict

What ONM forum members have been saying about the new games.

Amazing! Incredible! Awesome! Just some of the things you've said about the new Pokemon X and Y games since they were announced yesterday. Judging by the reaction to the announcement, these new Pokemon 3DS adventures have jumped to the top of many of your most wanted games lists for 2013. Apart from those who wanted a Ruby and Sapphire remake.

Even then, it's hard not to be impressed by these, the first proper Pokemon adventures to come to 3DS. While we don't know a great deal about them, fans have been discussing every little detail from the names to the Starters and The Legendaries, plus the new battle animations. Here's what you're saying about Pokemon X and Y.

The names

As the first Pokemon games that aren't named after colours or precious metals, many of you think there is more to Pokemon X and Y than meets the eye. Take the doublehelix in the Japanese logo - does that point to something to do with DNA?

ONM forum member Bulbasaur483 thinks so. "I think that with the X and Y they're referring to DNA. Look at the logos. That rainbow-coloured thing looks like DNA. It probably is DNA unless they they release Pokemon Z which would be the third dimension (depth)... Or maybe Pokemon have the Z chromosome... Who knows?

But if it did have something to do with DNA, Zelda-legend93 says that he's "expecting more merging of Pokemon like Kyurem." If you remember Black Kyurem and White Kyurem from Pokemon Black and White 2 are formed when Kyurem activates its DNA splicers with Reshiram or Zekrom. Is this a continuation of that?

oOFreddieHillOo thinks not. "I'm pretty sure that the X and Y don't relate to DNA/Gender. I think it refers to the X Y Z axis (dimensions). The Legendary X Pokemon is a stag - The X axis measures distance, so the stag will travel across land.

"The Legendary Y Pokemon is a bird/dragon - The Y axis measures height, so the bird will fly up high. The third game will most likely be Z because X Y Z represent three dimensions... Which would make perfect sense as this is the first 3D Pokemon installment!"

Interesting...

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 15:02

cant wait to find out more

2. carnivine chaos Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 15:13

Unfortunately it seems like you can only move in 4 directions. If you notice in the trailer at one point, the character is running upwards and then makes a sharp, sudden turn to the left. Usually there'd at least be some sort of curving animation, or, at least you'd expect there to be.

3. theycallmejack Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 15:23

Hehe! I always love getting mentioned in these articles! I also hope we get to walk in more than 4 directions. The DS/Gameboys have all had D-Pads which have kind of necessitated the 4 direction thing, but now the 3DS has a circle pad then there's really no excuse for it to go on... Also, while the whole stretched screen size for Youtube thing is a valid argument, I still hope that GameFreak does polish things up a little. When I first saw the trailer I immediately noticed how square the male trainer's head looks. In fact, I don't really like his character design at all to be honest, he looks kind of like a rehash of the Generation V one... but still, the battles look AMAZING.

4. shy guy 64 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:00

if you look at the top left corner at the start of the trailer it says game footage not final

5. Rafael Pereira Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:08

It would be great if we could carry our pokemon by our side like in SoulSilver...!

6. lrwr14 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:13

My name is lrwr14, thank you very much lol. Sounds like this is going to be a big boost in the 3DS sales when it comes out.

7. Pyron12 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:21

I think that all Starters from Gen VI will be not as good as previous generation. Gen 1-5 had the best starters. Mudkip was famous for it's meme (so i herd u liek mudkipz), Snivy's and Chimchar's final forms were cool and Cyndaquil is easily my favorite fire starter. Charizard is just EPIC. The Gen 6 starters don't appear to have the same effect on me, although I admit the Fire starter could be my choice when I get Y.

8. neko paul Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:39

fennekin! fennekin! everywhere! its be like 2 days since they showed pokemon X & Y to the world and the internet sites such deviant art are full of Fennekin fan art. I haven seen pokemon hype like this in years, fells like the good old 90's again 8)

9. koopa_kicker Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:52

Noticed from the trailer it appears that trainers can follow you around again (just before wild pikachu appears), presumely AI. Dunno how much of the game they are in and/or if they battle with you, but I'm fine as long as they refrain from defeating wild shinies as they refused to do in White 2 for me ...sad times... :(

10. Gapa Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 16:55

I think it would be awesome if when you used HM moves out of battle, you actually saw it happen, rather than just seeing an image of the Pokémon using it pop up on the screen.

It would also be good if they improved the battle looks aswell, to make it seem more like the Pokémon are actually fighting!

11. Smyrlie Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 17:04

Yay, I was quoted! :D
    I dont think yous I'll be able to walk in any direction because, as carnivine chaos pointed out, the character makes a sharp left turn in the video. But on the upside, at this point in the video, about 8 minutes 10 in think, both male and female characters are running beside each other, does this mean there could be a co-op option? I hope so. :)

12. ThePokekid78 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 17:23

Nice, my first time being quoted in an ONM article! Thanks guys!

And do forgive my cynicism, I love Pokemon really!

Though I do stand by what I said about the starters....

13. Dan-the-Wii-man Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 18:48

Before this I couldn't imagine how they'd be able to step it up from the Battle Revolution style battles but I guess thats why I'm not a game designer! The battles look incredible and I reckon the rest will too by launch (WHICH IS IN OCTOBER)

14. Dan-the-Wii-man Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 18:50

Though there never was anything more about the release date...

15. TomMc92 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 19:28

When the game looks this good you really shouldn't complain about walking animations thats being a bit to picky. Just be happy that pokemon is finally looking amazing in full 3d. I really can't wait for the game after enjoying white 2 so much, this and monster hunter are my games of the year for sure. Really hoping for new evolutions of old pokemon, i know i mentioned it already but i have loads i'd like to see, would love to see a steel evee, robot type evolution would look great and ghost evolution as i'm just a big fan of ghost types in general.

16. fisher2007 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 21:22

cant wait to find out more

17. CraigEmberson Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 22:09

I just need to say one thing... STOP CALLING IT THE ORIGINAL DS! Seriously, how are you a Nintendo fan, without realising that the DS is the DS and the 3DS is the 3DS - not a new DS. It bugs me that almost 2 years on, nobody is getting it.

18. Rawful Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 23:33

we just got black and white 2 a couple of months ago and now we are on generation 6. i will be picking up pokemon x ( or y depending on the exclusive pokemons.)

19. JMurf19 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 23:58

If FreddieHill is right with his XYZ Dimensions theory, then considering Z is for depth, the legendary Pokémon for Z could be a water-type (travel the depths of the ocean).

20. Lew3107 Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 00:02

I want to customize my character. Clothes, skin colour, facial features; I want my character to look like a virtual version of me, not just a generic Caucasian character again. Also, a full 3D game based on a grid based movement system might be a bit awkward and restrictive, so I hope they add a bit more freedom to it. Hey, the have a 360 degree circle pad, might as well make use of it!

I have to buy a 3DS for this game, though. The battles look great, the graphics are pretty good, and I actually like all 5 Pokémon shown in the trailer. I'm going to guess that Chespin is Grass/Dark, Fennekin is Fire/Psychic, Froakie is Water/Fighting, Xerneas is Steel/Psychic, and Yveltal is Dark/Flying. The European styled setting is pretty cool. I hope they have a city based on London!

I'm glad that old Pokémon are back too. I hope Eevee comes back, because I need my Umbreon. Usually, I would want Growlithe as well, but Fennekin looks cool enough to be my main Fire type. I hope they add some new Eeveelutions to this game. I'd love to see Rock, Fighting and Steel type Eeveelutions.

I'm sure that X and Y are to do with DNA. The Japanese logos have double helices in both X and Y versions. Maybe the antagonists are manufacturing/genetically modifying Pokémon to make them stronger/merge them with others? This could lead to some interesting type match-ups.

21. CraigEmberson Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 03:23

I think it's more likely to be based on 3D Space. As others noted: Y flies (just like a vertical Y-Axis), X travels across (just like the X-Axis), so it's safe to assume that Z should travel as a Water type.

I don't know what to make of it, if that is the case... Could this mean our Legendaries are also following the starter Pokemon types? and are they introducing triple types (I've always thought some moves should have double-types and some Pokemon could be classfied with a third type:

Xerneas: Psychic/Grass/Normal
    Yveltal: Psychic/Fire/Flying
    "Z": Psychic/Water/Fighting

(possibly?)

22. GloverMist Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 17:23

I am SO hyped for this it's not real. I am the only person that thinks that this could be better than Generation V? Either way, I bet you can walk in diagonals, I mean, what else would you do with the circle pad?

23. keir Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 17:29

Can you trasfer your old pokemon :?:

24. IPecksU Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 19:02

Maybe they could make EV training not be be something that sucks the fun out of the game. It'd be really simple; they could have you select the stat(s) you want focus on and with each battle you get a certain amount of points depending on the pokemon

e.g. you want to train attack so you select attack, then you ko a chansey and get 2 points in atk, or if you want to train attack and speed you'd select both then get 1 or 2 points in each. Or if you KO a machop you'd get an atk bonus so it'd be 3 atk and 1 or 2 in speed. Chansey would probably give a HP bonus but you'd only get that if you selected HP to train.

Also would it kill them to add a bars or counters that show you how many EVs your pokemon has in each stat?

That's my idea anyway, I like the idea of being able to level up ad EV train at the same time. Don't know what anyone else thinks of it :P

25. Combusken Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 20:17

GameFreak could decide to use the circle pad as a way to rotate the camera so rotating the circle pad in a full circle causes us see what going around us in the game in a full 360 degress circle similar to if we were to move our feet around (and thus the rest of our body) slowly in real life while standing in the same spot.

26. SaulAvenger Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 06:54

I would love to see some new pokemon types, or maybe a fusion of two existing types, eg. instead of water/ground- mud (or something slightly more creative xD ). Even an evolution in types depending on the power of your pokemon, from the fairly meek and feeble fire type moves, to the cooler sounding and infinitely more powerful blaze or inferno types, then you could use the same root types against each other to an altogether different effect. Views?

27. Version10 Saturday 13th Apr 2013 at 19:05