Pokemon X and Y is an evolution rather than a reboot - Nintendo

Game Freak working hard to make games look slick and polished

The Pokemon Company has said that there wasn't a conscious decidion to reboot the Pokemon series with Pokemon X and Y. Despite being a 3D Pokemon adventure on a new platform, the company's International director of consumer marketing J.C. Smith has said that it is a natural evolution.

Speaking with Polygon, Smith said: "There's never been a conscious decision to reboot. There's always been an evolution of the look and feel; it just happens to be that we played Black and White, and Heart Gold and Soul Silver, and Diamond and Pearl, and Platinum - all of those games on the same platform.

"So it feels like it's been a long time in the same way. But between the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color, and moving up into the DS now, it's always had that change."

Just because Pokemon X and Y shouldn't be considered to be a reboot, it doesn't mean that it won't look great. Smith added that the new Pokemon adventures look fantastic even at this early stage of development.

"Obviously, Game Freak wanted to make sure that when they created this new universe on the 3DS, that it looked fantastic; both in the polygonal style and also when people are able to see the 3D effects as well. It's really exciting to see the Pokemon come to life a little more. They're always working hard to make sure the games are as slick and polished as possible."

Do you like Pokemon X and Y's new look? Have your say below...

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 10:30

it looks awesome

2. maartenpitt Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 10:33

First reply.
    I think the same way, no reboot in any way with X & Y. There's more to it than another Gen. To be honest, i'm at an age where I should stop playing Pokémon but with this, I'll keep aiming to be the best!

3. vix_chan Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 10:36

Games have always needed to Evolve to keep people interested.
    Although older fans are happy with the franchise how it is, it's not pulling in new players to keep everything as pixelated sprites.

I love Retro as much as anyone else. But if Pokémon want to include new players as well as the old fans of the series then changes must be made to the game. And I think Game Freak have gone the correct way.

4. K-tet Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 12:02

Wait a second... why would people insinuate these games as a reboot anyway? Pokémon is not only the biggest RPG franchise on the market today, but it's also the second biggest franchise in the video game industry (behind Mario). It hasn't died down or stagnated despite what some people say.

I guess some people say the wildest things. *shrugs*

5. Joe_Crow Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 12:11

First reply.

You're not at an age where you should stop playing Pokemon. They're fanastic, deep games, that are better than most of the trash that big devs come out with these days. Age doesn't come into it.

6. cthesupergenius Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 14:35

BIG FAT YES - It's amazing!!

7. garydbz88 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 15:23

The only Pokemon games I played on a handheld are blue, gold and leaf green. After that I went off Pokemon games because most of the new ones are to similar to each other Plus you can't beat the first 151 right? After seeing this trailer for Pokemon x & y I was totally amazed and really feel hyped to get it in October. I been waiting for this evolution for many years and It's finally come. Lets not forget Luigi's mansion dark moon that's going to be awesome too what a year the 3ds is going to have I CAN NOT WAIT!

8. ThePokekid78 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 17:10

Well we knew Pokemon was always gonna go 3D at some point...yeah the games look great but I'm honestly going to miss having sprites! We've been playing with them for over 16 years and it'll be sad to see them go....

Actually I can just solve this problem by continuing to play Ruby & Emerald. As I already do.

9. Argenthor Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 18:04

I believe I saw that we can move diagonally now?

That, is a revolution!

10. Linebeck013 Thursday 10th Jan 2013 at 22:06

I believe I saw that we can move diagonally now?

That, is a revolution!

Exactly the same thought entered my head too!

11. meagman2 Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 20:58

ok i am going to be true here i think that the trailer looks awsome and the graphics are epic but the player looks a bit mis shapen
    if you were to to take my advise not to be mean but u should use a motion capture suit to get real human movments
    or just make the avatar from black 2 in to a 3d model
    but the battles are the most epic pokemon battles u guys ever made
    u guys rule keep making pokemon games beacause they never dont seese to impress me :!: :!: :!:
    rock on guys 8) :D

12. bloominblathers Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 17:25

First reply.

could not of put it better myself.

13. TheSlenderman Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 17:14

I believe I saw that we can move diagonally now?

That, is a revolution!

About time, too.

14. garraofthedesert Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 06:20

well my brother and i would like to see a slight change in the gameplay but don't know how to go about trying to get our idea to the creators. but a few ideas would be like if we got to choose which city to start and depending on where you start you would be allowed to choose different starters. and my brother wants them to try and incorporate what they did with silver and gold and try to make all the regions combined in one game so a total of about 40 badges now but that idea i have no idea of how they would go about it. and in the current direction they are heading with this 3d gaming i think they might eventually try and create something like WOW in which you would be able to go around and then possibly duel other people around the area but that would probably cause them to make it into an online computer thing because i doubt that would all fit on a ds disc. lol. so lots of ideas and as for this game so far i see an improvement on the design of pokemon but as for the water and grass starters. all i can say is scary. lol. i traditionally start with grass but this time it'll have to be fire =-) and i think i'll get pokemon y first then eventually x =-)

15. Ankit Tuesday 5th Feb 2013 at 20:46

I love new Gens, but I hope they are not scrapping remakes. I'd love it if they made a Hoenn Sinnoh combined remake :D

16. Jaffrotortoise3 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:38

Firstly, there would need to be a milion starters, also, could just go to easiest place to get to other gyms, and things like people preventing u from going certian routes until youv done something would be harder.
    Secondly, Its called pokemon global link where you can battle people across globe.
    Wish there was a face palm smiley to put on end.

17. WeirdNerdWorld Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 14:27

I can already tell that this game will be taking over my life. Goodbye real world.