10 most violent video games in Nintendo's history

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is just the latest game that shatters Nintendo's family-friendly image

Wii U would appear to be very different from Wii. While Wii had a family friendly image, in the first month of the Wii U's release four violent 18-rated games have hit the console. The latest, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, is arguably the bloodiest of the lot with vats of blood spilled as you slice through bone and muscle. It's all a bit silly but you might need a strong stomach to handle it. Yet, violent video games appearing on Nintendo consoles is nothing new.

From SNES right up to Wii U, plenty of blood has been spilled in these, the most violent and controversial games in Nintendo's history.

Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES 1994)

With Mario, Pikachu and Link as its famous faces, Nintendo still has a family friendly image but back in early 1990s, the company made it their business to preserve it. So the SNES version of Mortal Kombat, a violent fighting game which stood out thanks to its spine-ripping finishing moves, was toned down. Some of the fatalities were replaced with less violent finishing moves and, hilariously, we had sweat instead of blood. The result? Mortal Kombat sold really well. On Mega Drive. We do what Nintendon't had never been more apt.

It wouldn't be the only time a game would be toned down for Nintendo platforms. Carmageddon 64 replaced the humans from the PC original with zombies and blood with green gore but the difference was that Carmageddon was rubbish. People loved Mortal Kombat.

So by the time Mortal Kombat 2 was released for SNES in 1994, the blood was back. Apart from in Japan, where the blood was coloured green. And Germany where all versions of the game were confiscated. Indeed Mortal Kombat is the reason the M rating exists. Rated M for Mortal Kombat...

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. ACRID Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 16:00

The controversy surrounding Manhunt 2 had died down by the time it sneaked out on Wii with little fanfare a year after it had arrived on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Manhunt 2 was never released on the HD home consoles, it was PS2 and PSP.

I got bored of Scarface after a few hours, it just seemed to be lacking in character and I felt I was playing it more for the movie than anything else.

I remember playing Mortal Kombat on SNES at a friends house and couldn't understand why there was no blood code to 'turn on the good stuff' ABACABB & DULLARD will be forever etched in my mind.

2. Pyron12 Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 16:25

MadWorld crosses the line twice. In a level and in the final battle against the Black Baron because you find out he ISN'T EVEN BLACK (In his theme Look Pimpin')! Again, crossing the line twice.

3. MartinIsAwesome Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 17:12

What about No More Heroes? NMH 2: Desperate Struggle in particular with it's opening where the protagonist, Travis Touchdown, swears directly at you, the player, before entering a fight with Skelter-Helter which ends with with his head being cut off, sent flying into the air and land back on his neck. If I remember rightly, he still talks after that... somehow. Also, Matt Helms death and post-fight cutscene where rather violent affairs.
    Again it's more comical than anything, but still I wouldn't want to play it with my mum in the same room.

4. Trans_Goth_Girl Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 19:37

Where's the revamped versions of Resi Evil 1 and 3 for the GC (2 didn't look that great for what the GC was able to do)

5. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 11th Jan 2013 at 21:10

MK2 is my favourite snes game of all time , it was the game that made me sit up and notice nintendo , it was just as good as the arcade !

6. Sonic_Freak Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 00:14

I love your top 10 features, but do they really need to be spread across 10 pages? :?

7. MartinIsAwesome Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 12:07

That's because Resi 2 on Gamecube was a straight port of the PS1 game which didn't even have the improvements that the N64 version had. For the record, Resi 3 on Gamecube was also just a straight port of the PS1 game, again with no improvements. I believe that Resident Evil 1 was the only game in the series to get revamped on Gamecube.

8. TheSlenderman Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 19:20

Yes, these games are violent, but in terms of scarey-ness, they have nothing on Slender Man!!! :mrgreen:

9. CaptainFuckNuts Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 20:44

the more i play violent video games the more violent I become myself...for example I sometimes beat my goldfish...with the other goldfish

10. sedativegod Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 02:31

so ninja gaiden 3 is essentially devil may twixt dead or alive?
    having never played the series i was unaware of this, i know feel a compulsion to buy these games!

11. TheAPERSON Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 12:32

Wait, didn't Chinatown Wars get released on the PSP a few years after the DS release? If that's the case then it isn't an exclusive.

12. toffeeman30 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 13:20

the new wii u game ninja gaiden 3 is showing that nintendos willingness to shirk their kiddy perception

13. deKay Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 12:45

No Carmageddon 64?!

14. deKay Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 12:46

It was an exclusive at the time. It's on iOS too.

15. pokemaniac 212 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 13:07

Please stop trolling, although on the off chance this is serious its probably not the best thing to have admitted unless you want the RSPCA on your case.

16. captain1531 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 16:56

Ninja Gaidin 3 Is One Of The Violentest Games I Know But Ryu Hayabusa Is Much Less Violent In Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper.

17. dave666 Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 21:07

I love manhunt 2 on the wii and still play it to this day.

I remember the bit where you practice the kill motions at the beginning and all the can hear are the sounds of er.......killing. after that you just knew this was very different from any other violent games you had played before.

I can remember watching that toilet kill on the internet and just thinking holy $h!t

but still not as sick as the first one