Pokemon X and Y wish list

Chris Rooke wants bigger cities in the first Pokemon 3DS adventures.

The letters X and Y have been used to symbolise a vast array of things during their multi-millennia usage: commonly found as algebraic variables in mathematics, or as denoting sex-determining chromosomes in the human body, or even as theories of human motivation. This week, they were given a whole other meaning: the version titles (although, as pointed out by Joe Merrick of Serebii on Twitter, these are first English Pokemon game titles not to include the word 'version') of the new Pokemon games.

Indeed, enter X and Y into Google and you'll see that Pokemon appears scattered through the first page of results already. Clearly, for gamers, the letters have taken on an entirely new meaning.

Although it's not currently clear if the letters will have any link to one of their many real-world uses, or were chosen just because they make for pretty cool logos, but nonetheless the names of the new Pokemon games have already swept the globe: taking over the aforementioned Google searches, trending on Twitter, and adorning the frontpages of many Nintendo and Pokemon sites. Now we've watched the Pokemon X and Y trailer, learned the names of the new Legendary Pokemon and exhausted every piece of information about the games, it's time to consider what we'd like in the new Pokemon adventures. Here's my wish list.

Bigger cities

As the game moves into a 3D overworld (hoorah!), this would be the perfect opportunity to overhaul the world design and layout. Let's face it: cities aren't situated in the middle of nowhere with forests or deserts surrounding them on all sides (Chris has clearly never been to Las Vegas - Ed). Where are the suburbs, the housing estates, the parks, and the sunny beachside resorts? Bring them all to the Pokemon world! An expansion of the Castelia City design would be fantastic, but on a bigger scale: have a city centre area, but then have streets leading away from it with houses or small shops, containing residents to battle with in the park or on the street, and a beach where you can spend your hard-earned Poke-dollars on a seaside cottage for your retirement.

While all this may sound closer to Animal Crossing than Pokemon, it's for good reason - these would add many hours to the gameplay time of a Pokemon game, and could potentially replace the mini-games that have too frequently been shoved into the games, and have offered inconsistent amounts of value and fun to the games.

Pokestudios, contests, and musicals, all seem to be "fads" within the Pokemon universe. It's time to replace these with proper side quests for Non Playable Characters - be it catching a Pokemon for them, fetching an item, and consequently being rewarded with an item or skill that actively helps you or your party. A tangible benefit is far more rewarding than a trophy on a plinth in Pokestudios that you can't even take with you!

The revamped world areas would then assist with that, and provide plenty of opportunities to pick up these odd jobs. As well as that, if the world has been based on Paris (as was hinted in the trailer), it would allow for Game Freak to make full use of the unique architecture within the town areas.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Gapa Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 08:43

There already is a beach resort in B/W...

2. shy guy 64 Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 18:27

i dont think open world is necessarie and it would be interesting to see more types but i doubt it'll happen

3. Serebii Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 18:30

Tossing in a few more type combinations would be fun, as would removing IVs from the game - while competitive players will disagree, it is a totally alienating feature of the game to many players, preventing them from being able to engage with the competitive side of the game, and Pokemon community, fully.

I disagree with this Chris.

IVs are what make each Pokémon unique. To remove them would make every single Pokémon the same. What they need to do is prevent people hacking/RNGing to get flawless Pokémon, and with the games on the 3DS, that is what they have done.

Besides, I don't mess about with IVs and I win the majority of my battles. I know people who ranked in the VGC and WiFi competitions without messing about with IVs.

It's not as big a problem as people make it out to be

4. IPecksU Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 18:47

Would definitely love to see an open world and less linear pokeon :) Maybe we can get a wii u spin off that'll do it open world style :P Still would love them to ditch random battles and change the encounters to be xenoblade style while keeping pokemon esque batte mechanics. And EV training can be made much less depressing rather easily.

And I agree with serebii, IVs are quite nifty. Makes my pokemon feel a little bit more special :)

5. HughPR Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 19:04

I disagree with this Chris.

It's not as big a problem as people make it out to be

First of all is this Serebii as in....you know, actual Serebii??? If so coooool :P

And I completely agree. I never bothered about IVs until Gen 5 and I did fine when I battled friends/played a bit online. They prevent everyone having exactly the same pokemon, else battles would essentially be entirely down to luck. They're not a game-breaker though. Removing them would just be...wrong!

6. dunc247 Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 19:42

Loved the introduction.

The 'level adjusting - freedom to explore areas in order of preference' is a quality idea. Sadly don't see it happening though :(

As for IVs, I'm a bit on the fence. While they do importantly add a huge layer of 'uniqueness' to pokemon, it's depressing knowing that one has to put so much work in (anything but fun) to get a 'perfect' pokemon :/

7. Komodo_Wolfgang Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 20:48

Lol, new to ONM forums? yes its the 'real' Serebii

I agree with Chris though, the discovery IVs and EVs on the widespread front ruined the game for me. I like collecting pokemon I think look great and what attacks would suit them, but EVs and IVs render some pokemon practicaly Useless.
    Whatever happened to "there is no such thing as the worlds strongest pokemon"?

On another note... the trailer has made me dubious. It says you can encounter SOME of the pokemon you know. Does that mean, even after completing the new dex, you wont be able to send others across?

8. king of Games Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 21:21

I hope that now pokemon has moved onto a powerful handheld we can see something that i loved from the pokemon ranger games. Where you can actually see the wild pokemon and be able to dodge them rather than just the random battles of the previous 5 gens. Also the possibility to catch evolved pokemon earlier than in previous gens.

I would also like to see something taken from the anime series where you can meet wild injured pokemon and have to heal them or take them to the pokemon centre. So when they have been healed depending on how fast you managed to heal them they might challenge you to a battle to see if you can capture them.

Last but by no means least I wish for a return to Hoenn in these games, seeing as though we have had no word on the remakes they have usually done by now. I could see a reason to go to Hoenn as part of the actual storyline just like in Fire Red/Leaf Green when you had to go to the Sevii Islands to continue on in the story.

9. RiksilveR Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 21:29

Personally I'm not bothered about IV's, I didn't even know they existed till the feature in ONM a while back, but I reckon the more competitive players will rage if they're removed. What I want to see is some form of difficulty setting so that more seasoned players can have a greater challenge from the very start whilst not alienating newbies.
    I'd also like to say (again) the Underground needs to make a return. It's the only side-game in the series to actually have some use (other than slots, but they were never as much fun anyway and they just got too complicated) what with it supplying you with Stones and Fossils and stuff.

10. jaykthepikachu Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 21:39

Yeah i think the Cities should be at least Castelia City size
    Personally i thought Nimbasa looked more like a Town
    because it was so small and yeah Perhaps Pokemon should be more Open World
    EDIT:@^
    I agree the Underground should come back,i enjoyed that a LOT
    and well wasn't the key System A Difficulty Setting
    Perhaps if they have that WITHOUT the need to get the other version

11. Waldy565 Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 22:45

I agree on most of that list - Chris sounds like he wants to go for more of a world that is closer to the anime - this is something I have been crying out for for an age. But getting rid of IV's is what makes each monster unique. I'm not a Pokemon Master (official title: MIT = Master in Training :P) but IV's do really give Pokemon, the series that is, the edge over all other collect-em-ups... but yeah, nice list Chris! As mentioned, I WANT MOST OF THIS! hehe

12. Waldy565 Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 22:49

I only quoted this one because I never though of this, but your other ideas are amazing too bro/sis! But yeah, I was, to be honest, quite disappointed that no info on a Hoenn remake was announced, but this could totally work! Good thinking Batman, if that is your real name... don't ask.

13. VaatiKaiba Saturday 12th Jan 2013 at 23:54

I disagree with this Chris.

It's not as big a problem as people make it out to be

I'm slightly surprised that IVs are the main point of contention from this blog!

Yes, I totally agree that IVs make each Pokemon unique, and I totally believe there should be a way of differentiating Pokemon. However, I just wish it was implemented in such a way that it couldn't be abused by the truly obsessive competitive players as it is at the moment. Even keeping IVs, but not allowing people to check what IVs were held by an individual Pokemon might fix that.

It's not a problem for in-game battles, but I really feel that it is for competitive play. I don't consider using soft-resetting, and other methods, to get the "perfect" Pokemon a feature of the game, and so I do see it as an abuse of the implemented system when players do harvest Pokemon with specific IVs. I know that I would never do that, as that is as far away from being fun as is possible for me to imagine, and yet there's no point in me entering the competitive sphere when that sort of practice takes place. I do feel it's a massive problem: I've been playing Pokemon almost as long as I can remember, but I don't feel I can get involved in competitive play.

So I'm not against the concept of IVs (which is admittedly how it came across in the blog), but their current implementation. But really, I think this is a debate about whether practices like soft-resetting are how the game was intended to be played. I'm assuming not.

14. Hams96 Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 04:45

The bigger cities were what actually put me off 5th Gen. If I wanted to explore a city, I could just hop on a train to Glasgow

15. KH81314 Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 07:50

I agree that stuff like Pokestudios should be thrown out the window. Sidequests would also be great. I dont think we have to add more types I think that shouldn't change.

16. Pokemon Luke Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 08:24

Throughout All The Forums And Speculation about X And Y (That Ive Been On) No One Has Thought Of Mentioning About Using This Particular Feature From The Anime

In Normal Battles In Game You Do Turn To Turn Battling Whereas In The Anime The Terrain Has Uses For Example Ash Tells Pikachu To Use Thunderbolt On The Floor Causing An Attack Almost Like Stone Edge To Attack The Opponent, If I Am Not Mistaken... there Are Tonnes Of Other Examples Too

But For Pokemon X And Y I Am More Than Happy With The 3D Polygons Battling

As For The New Pokemon I Think Around A Third Will Be Just New Evolutions, They Added Some In the Second And Fourth Generation So Why, Not The 6th But If Game Freak Are Good Enough They Will Hopefully Scrape Over 800 Pokemon.

But Thats All Mainly Hope...

17. Tamzily01 Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 08:56

Personally, the thing I want most from these games can be summed up in three words: fully orchestrated soundtrack. The 3DS is more powerful than its predecessor, and so having a proper orchestra instead of a synth orchestra would be a nice change. Plus, I can already imagine hearing a few accordions in the city based on Paris.

18. Pyron12 Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 09:27

I really want the Underground system to come back. It was just great. They had the perfect opportunity to do this with Clay but it never happened.

19. keir Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 10:47

Will pokemon Y and X have nintendo network,spotpass,streetpass,creat your on pokemon trainer,any new pokemon moves or region and types :?:

20. Smouvy Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 10:54

While on one hand, I'd like to have actual city-sized cities, Castelia city was a pain. For example, when I wanted to see that one guy in the lobby of that one building who was also collecting medals to show him off mine in B2/W2, I'd have to go through all of the buildings before I finally found the one he was in. let alone if I actually needed to search for someone on a building's top floor.

It wasn't fun remembering that a certain person you want to talk to is in Castelia city, but you have no clue where.

21. 06harrisj Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 11:26

While we're on the subject of stat modifiers, the thing that always frustrated me was natures. Competitively, they are very useful for making that Sucker Punch powerful enough to KO something, or to make your Eviolite Chansey that bit bulkier, but they just irritate me in-game. I find myself always catching something, and then checking the nature against Smogon's list and endlessly catching more until I find one with a workable nature so I don't end up with a dud pokemon.

While I'm not suggesting that natures are removed from the game, I'd like to see their in-game effects neutralised a bit. Perhaps the system could be tweaked so they only have an effect in multiplayer, or after you beat the E4, for example?

22. Combusken Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 11:34

More former player characters from other generations (e.g. Dawn, May, Nate, etc) making an appearance as strong trainers after we beat the Elite 4. (So far we have only had Red as the only former player character that be battled against outside their generation's games in the games yet in the anime we have seen May in Sinnoh and Dawn in Unova.)

23. ThePokekid78 Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 14:11

I disagree with this Chris.

It's not as big a problem as people make it out to be

Yes, it's the actual Serebii lol.

But yeah, IVs should stay. There are even people saying EVs should be scrapped, which seems ridiculous! If casual players do feel 'alienated' from competitive play due to advanced mechanics like IVs, the solution is simple: they need to learn.

It's the same principle for anything in the world: you don't know how to do something, so you learn, and then you can do it. I don't see what the problem is with advanced mechanics in Pokemon.

24. Nintendo4Ever Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 14:54

It's not exactly a wish but... I think this Gen will be adding more pre/ evolutions for Hoenn and Unova Pokemon as they both have the most unevolved non-legendary Pokemon in the series (Hoenn = 18 and Unova = 14). Obviously some will stay unevolved but it is interesting how new pre/ evolutions are introduced in every even numbered generation and I believe gen 6 will continue this trend.

25. nintendo rules Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 15:17

proper pokemon cries

26. TheSlenderman Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 15:27

Hyrule field is a bit empty, really. If there is going to be an open world pokemon game, it shouldn't be too open. It should be full of interesting things to look at, not just grass.

27. TheSlenderman Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 15:38

28. hammster Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 16:25

I vaguely agree with most of this but I'd bring back the Pokemon Contests from Ruby/Sapphire. They were the best of the mini-game side quest things.

29. TheSlenderman Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 18:45

Oops. I've written the same thing twice. Damn short term memory...

30. neko paul Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 19:02

No Lvs? that a terrible idea. I've never even heard of lvs stopping people playing each other before now. At its core, the Pokemon series are RPGs and a big part of RPG is the leveling system. having an RPG with no form of Leveling system, you might as well be playing an action-adventure game like zelda...

31. JAYMCK2103 Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 21:01

did anyone else notice that in the X and Y trailers when the boy trainer swings across the ropes his glasses are left floating in midair at the spot he jumps onto the rope?

32. Smyrlie Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 22:09

No, not levels, IVs as in iv. :lol: It stands for individual values. Ever wonder why, when you catch 2 of the same Pokemon at the same levels, they usually have different stats? That's because of IVs (as well as natures). Every Pokemon gets a number between 1 and 31 for each stat and the higher the number, the better the stat. Google it for a better explanation. :)

33. superthingymabob Sunday 13th Jan 2013 at 23:03

I'd like to be able to beat gyms in any order, with trainers becoming stronger alongside you, so you can't end up owning everybody.

34. K-tet Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 11:10

Removing Pokémon IVs because they're inaccessible to the majority of gamers? Did I understand that right?

Clearly someone doesn't understand Pokémon at all, or is too lazy to even bother taking time out to study the game in-depth.

That aside, I'd happily plump for a few more types just to keep everything in balance. Something that can destroy Dragon-types that isn't already an Ice-type (because defensively, it sucks), possibly having a weakness to say Psychic, would be perfect. Clearly this new type would have to not be included in Hidden Power's typelist given that Hidden Power only caters for each of the 16 existing (as of Gen 5 and time of this post) non-Normal types. On the subject of Hidden Power, IVs determine its type AND power. Throwing away Pokémon IVs would mean no point to Hidden Power, which further hurts Special Sweepers such as Alakazam who might need a Hidden Power Ground as an option to cover for the inaccurate Focus Blast.

Pokémon should not be treated as a game that can be played casually. When you take the time and effort to study the game in-depth, it's more hardcore than virtually every other game on the market today. You don't need blood and gore to be hardcore, but a solid engine and gameplay mechanics that, when studied further, change the dimension of the game you're playing.

35. Lloy2 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 21:45

I'd love to see types having advantages depending on the landscape they battle on (so a Water-type Pokémon would have raised Defense etc) and, PLEASE can the opponent switch Pokémon by itself every now and then. Why should the player be the only person in the Pokémon World who can switch their Pokémon out in a battle?

Adding to that, more anime-like cries would be nice. I'm pretty sick on 8-bit junk coming out of Pokémon wen I see them.

Customisable trainer is a must, and I mean changing everything, even the facial features. Having Pokémon follow you around like in Yellow and HG/SS would be awesome as well as running away from Trainer Battles.

If all of these and other stuff are added I'll be very happy!

36. omegarayyan Monday 6th May 2013 at 13:05

This guy is really talented and has created a "Fakedex" but in my opinion, it is WAY better than most of Game Freak's creations! He really should be given credit for his work and should be recognized and hired by Game Freak. Check it out http://daniel-dna.deviantart.com/art/Fa ... ?#comments

37. Faeriegoddess Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 05:02

I have an idea for a pokemon. It is called bananice . It is a ice and ghost type.

Here is the bio- Bananice was once a human that slipped on a ice cube while eating a banana and died. After the human died it became this pokemon. Bananice still remembers to this day how delicious the banana was it had eaten before it died .

Here is the picture i made of it . It is not good but i just wanted to get the idea down . http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/827/1q10.png

It is a banana peel with a ice cube for a head . It is suppose to look kind of like a ghost .