Why Chespin is the best Pokemon X and Y Starter

Who will you choose? Vote for your favourite Pokemon X and Y Starter Pokemon

In Pokemon Black and White I picked Oshawott, I chose Chimchar in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and I think I'm going to complete the set by picking Chespin as my Starter Pokemon in Pokemon X and Y.

I've never picked a Grass Starter Pokemon before but that's not the main reason I'm going with Chespin. I think he is the best Pokemon of the three simply because I don't know what it is. Fennekin is a fox, admittedly not a fox you'd see rummaging through your rubbish in your front yard, but a fox nevertheless.

But I prefer Fennekin to Froakie who really is just a frog. Game Freak isn't even trying to hide the lack of inspiration for this Pokemon, its name being a combination of frog and croak.

At least you have to dig around a bit for the creature that inspired Fennekin - it's a Fennec fox, a really cute small nocturnal fox from the Sahara desert with big ears like Fennekin.

I do like Fennekin but I prefer Chespin because it is the creature who looks most like a Pokemon. What is it? Now Bulbapedia has some interesting info on the origin of its name which gives away a few clues as to its identity.

It had been reported that its name was a combination of Chestnut and Pin. So Chespin is a mutant chestnut? Well, it has since been suggested that its name may also be inspired by a species of chestnut called Chinkapin, spina (Latin for thorn) and Urchin (the Middle English term for hedgehog).

Indeed, there's a bit of hedgehog in its Japanese name Harimaron (the Japanese for hedgehog is harinezumi. Not that you'd look at Chespin and think: 'that's definitely a cross between a chestnut and a hedgehog.'

You might have spotted that I'm not that keen on Pokemon who just look like animals. Wailord - that's not a Pokemon, it's a whale. Same goes for Swanna, Seel and Horsea. Changing the spelling doesn't fool anyone!

I much prefer the Pokemon who look a bit mysterious, whose identity isn't clear, who look like Pokemon. Although I do find it funny when Game Freak create ludicrous Pokemon based on everyday items. Vanillish or Trubbish, for example. While I'm on the subject, I reckon Trubbish is Game Freak's little joke - aimed at those who say that Pokemon have been getting worse since the original 151.

Anyway, back to the point. Chespin is the one for me. Maybe I will need to see the Starter's evolutions first as I did regret my choice of Oshawott when I saw the mighty Emboar and Serperior, but right now it's Chespin.

How about you? Which Starter will you pick? Vote in the poll below!

Comments

1. mario_boi Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 13:19

Hey! I already started this Poll in the Pokémon forum :(
    Anyway, I pick Chesoin too!

2. Tamzily01 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 13:31

FENNIKIN ARMY UNITE!

Though Chespin is a close second for me. There's just something about that smile...

3. KH81314 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 13:57

How is Chespin loosing. He looks like the best basic starter pokemon and will be the first grass starter pokemon that I choose. I still not decided though. I have to see the evolutions before I make my final decision.

4. IPecksU Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 14:01

This is what I love about the pokemon designs; the designs never cater to one specific group. There's something for everybody. Even if it does make everyone argue! Anyway QWILFISH FTW

I like all the starters this time round so it's tough but I might go with Fennekin depending on the evolutions.

5. metalgario Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 14:05

It's more important what there final evolution looks like for me

6. Commandervideo Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 14:33

Chespin for me. *votes* Ouch! Chespin is getting a hammering in the poll.

7. marioman268 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 14:39

Ill probably choose Fennekin, i mean come on its a Fire Fox, perhaps I should call it Mozilla :D

8. Ai64 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 15:52

I'll likely go for Fennekin. A fox or not I find it the most attractive of the three. :)

9. TheSlenderman Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:12

Chespin looks a bit odd, but I'm going with it, since it is the only one of the three that is clearly NOT just an animal with some funny pattern on it. Also, THAT SMILE!!! :D

10. LewiiG Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:20

Fennekin. Fire types have always been my first pick. Not because they are fire, but because they look awesome. Imagine the final evolution! Fennekin's stage 3! I still like the other the starters though.

11. CBTIRL Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:26

Fennikin, only because it reminds me of Lillipup

12. ThePokekid78 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:48

Why isn't there a 'hateallofthemandplantoditchmystarterassoonasIhavemorethan6otherpokemon' category?

13. shy guy 64 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:49

im going for chespin

14. mrmariomaster Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:50

Exactly the same with me :)

15. mrmariomaster Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:51

basically oshawott.

16. CyberGW Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 16:54

From first evolutions only, Chespin. He looks amazing! Lets hope his evolutions are just as unique and awesome.

17. Nintendalek42 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 17:24

Fennekin for me, cos, erm, it's cool and fennecs are awesome animals to take inspiration from (I'm still waiting for a pokemon twist on a lemur, a platypus, a koala, an armadillo... although gen V did treat us in that respect. Note that I say twist because although I do enjoy pokemon like Wailord, I prefer those whose designs combine an animal with an original idea).
    As for Unova starters, my opinion is just the reverse to this article's. I think Snivy goes from OK to boring, Tepig from uninspired to awful and only Oshawott goes from OK to Great. I mean, Emboar is just a fat ugly pig, and Samurott is a samurai/sealion/otter!! How is that not cool? In my opinion, if Emboar had remained a quadruped and been made Dark-type, he could of had immense potential as a badass design.
    I personally think Chespin and Froakie are fine, although we probably have enough pokefrogs to make feel Froakie is a bit unnecessary and his evolution should provide a sufficient payoff. I hope the evolutions don't dissapoint, and I trust Game Freak to surprise us, although I think the Psychic/Dark/Fight attacks shown in the trailer may well be clues to typing as has been speculated.
    As for Legendaries, I think Xerneas is bit bland and prefer Yveltal, but it's refreshing to not have once again generic yet amorphic dragons after 2 generations of them.
    Bring on gen VI, the first gen where I can play a game without having the choice between spoiling myself the new batch or 6 months of Poke-Void!

18. koopa_kicker Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 17:59

Pick the one that you reckon will be picked the least, so then you can easily trade it online with the other people who may be desperate to obtain it. Hey it worked in Gen V to get up to a total of 13 Victini (though I traded one to a mate because they didn't even have any).

Lol, I told my mate who said he'd pick it too, to call his that..
    My brother said he'd have Froakie, despite only knowing its name, and not what type it is, or even what it looks like...
    And I'm left with Chespin, which I was going to choose anyway, because it looks like something new. It is not something that looks like a frog, or a fox...it's a hedgehog, pin, chesnut, something hybrid! My mate however, irritatingly alerts me that its bound to be the one with the most weaknesses. I picked Snivy in White then Oshawott in White 2 (refused to pick Fire starters since Sapphire they have all caught an illness that causes then to mutate into Fighting types in every Gen since), but it never really seems to matter that much as I often ditch starters at some point: ie White 2, having wild riolu near start is just asking for trouble...reaches Elite 4 champ with level 89 Lucario... I feel the starters shouldn't be able to take down everything as it would make catching more unnecessary in some ways.

19. thenintendoer Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 18:33

first time ill be using a fire pokemon for a starter

20. Accelgor7 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 18:58

what on earth is so great about fennekin! i guess i will use fennekin on Y though, chespin on x and froakie whenever i get the chance

21. dap005 Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 19:18

Froakie because he reminds me of a famous historical figure that I can't quite pinpoint on. It must be the glasses and beard look that froakie possesses. I'll have to pick a fire type starter eventually so maybe next gen (fennekin and chespin all look like great starters but there's something very odd and quirky about froakie that stood out for me). I'm just hoping there'll be more fire types in X & Y than previous gens.

22. VinceLovesToast Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 20:33

Y is froakie last its not as if we have already had lots of frog pokemon!!!!!!!! :evil:
    :shock: Oh wait

23. lazy_by_choice Monday 14th Jan 2013 at 23:53

I personally am torn between Fennekin and Chespin....I almost always go for the water type, however, this time not so much; Froakie just does not add up to my expectations. That said, I will wait and see what their evolutions are like before I make a final judgement! but for now....its Chespin for me! just because it looks so much more unique/different. :)

24. Pikachuu Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 07:22

I'm gonna go with my typical choice of the Fire starter. :)

25. JaySuthEFC Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 09:18

Froakie looks awesome, I'll pick him

26. Nintendo4Ever Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 11:15

I haven't chosen a fire starter since Gen 2 (nothing beats Charmander and Cyndaquil :D ). Gen's 3 and 5 I chose water and for Gen 4 I chose Turtwig (it was my personal favourite of the 3) and although I like Froakie (and will probably choose it as my starter for Pokemon Z or whatever it's going to be) I think I may choose the fire starter for now but maybe after seeing their evolutions I may change my mind.

Bring on October!!!

27. adamatsu Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:48

I love the look of Chespin !! He's definitely my fave

28. theycallmejack Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:38

I like them all! Froakie seems to be the least popular but he's a hilarious blue frog! Chespin is a cheerful cute little... unknown. And Fennekin is based off what was probably my favourite animal in Zoo Tycoon 2! I'll obviously wait until we see some final evolutions, but I'll probably go with Chespin on Y first, and then buy X and play with Fennekin... if they make a Z or whatever, I'll get Froakie on that! Simples. Speaking of which, we need a meerkat Pokemon!

29. Yaldabaoth Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 22:07

Fennekin: I will forever choose the fire type. If Yveltal is a fire hybrid I will definitely be picking up Y. And about froakie looking like a famous historical figure..... Benjamin Franklin. Oh God. That beard. And the spectacle-like balls of fluff.

30. MagicMan5 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 19:47

I'm going to choose Chespin. I don't see why everyone loves Fennekin so much, sure it's elegant, but it's not interesting. Froakie is going to be one of those Pokemon that barely anyone picks, simply because it's not that cute (ok, so it's a little cute) and it's not really awesome-looking. But Chespin is adorable and is possibly and Mutant (Ninja?) Chesnut Hedgehog. What isn't awesome about that?

31. King Slazo Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 22:55

Quite an easy choice this time around. Froakie looks alright but nothing special, Fennekin gives off a sophisticated aura, and Chespin is a great example of how not to design a Pokémon, with a stupid ass grin that no animal except a human makes and some terrible beanie hat stuck to it. Its a good thing we don't live in the Pokémon world, because upon seeing a Chespin I would kick it hard in the face so it could never make that expression at me again, and promptly be dragged away by their equivalent of PETA.

Anyway, Fennekin wins with ease for moi. Lets just hope it doesn't evolve into a Fire-Fighting. Otherwise you'll need more than PETA to stop my rage.

32. Mozalien Jetzee Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 05:46

Tis I, Jetzee. People keep saying that the new starters look "better than ever" and "creative" but I must disagree. For example, Chespin looks like oshawott, drillbur, and shaymin got smashed into each other. Fenniken has already been taken by Vulpix. So Not very creative. Sereously? Victini, Vulpix, Ninetails, Flareon, Fennikin, Are all Fire foxes. Why not make it like a giraffe or a squirrell or something. Then there is frokie... The only justification i have for this is polytoad, sesmitoad and etc. the point is, they need to start steping up their game here, the new game is amazing but the starters arnt nessisarily "creative" in fact, they are worn out and starting to look cliche. But im going to go with fenniken this time. Into a new pokemon world were the probability of having a seizure goes up by 20% and makes you buy a new ds system. Sounds like i better get that 3ds. im not going to miss this for the rebirth of baby mccheesus.

33. omega pit 626 Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 13:26

No, it's not. Chespin is the worst out of the new starters, it's a horrible combination of Oshawott and Slowking's crown, an abomination of a pokemon.

Froakie and Fennekin on the other hand are really cool.

34. Mozalien Jetzee Friday 18th Jan 2013 at 00:42

I mean, Wouldn't a Fire Giraffe Look Boss? Or...... A Grass Giraffe?!?!?! :twisted: I say its a capital idea!
    @omegapit Look At chespins feet, thats why i say drillbur.

35. keir Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 13:59

Chespin is the boss

36. PikachuKJ Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 00:14

Froakie is what I am chosing for the first time. I hope it evolves into something good and awesome.

37. Jaffrotortoise3 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 18:55

Froakie and Fennekin on the other hand are really cool.

Finally, someone i can relate to! :D

38. jeremyjerry003 Saturday 23rd Mar 2013 at 17:23

Im definitinely choosing Fennekin, I always choose water type pokemons, but now I'll choose a fire type besides Fennekin looks awesome :D :) :lol: :wink:

39. Ella Holliday Tuesday 28th May 2013 at 12:54

Oooh, I'm am definitely choosing Fennekin cuz' I'm a sucker for cute starter pokemon! Chespin does seem really cool and sweet, but I love canine pokemon like Zoroark, Zorua and pokemon like that. I love how Fennekin looks kind of shifty but loyal; not the typical cute, sweet, friendly and kind pokemon, Fennekin looks like it has a deeper personality. Anyways, Fennekin is AWESOME! 8)

40. Lloy2 Sunday 4th Aug 2013 at 22:11

Really can't decide out of Fennekin and Froakie... I'm leaning over to Froakie though: