Nintendo make top 3 in Edge 50 best developers list

Nintendo beat Rockstar and Bungie

The 50 best developers in the world are listed in the 250th edition of Edge Magazine and Nintendo have made the top three, beating the likes of Rockstar, Platinum Games and Bungie.

Yes, Nintendo EAD were only beaten by Half Life and Portal developers Valve and Minecraft studio Mojang to make the top three. Result! Here is the top 10.

1. Valve

2. Mojang

3. Nintendo EAD

4. Platinum Games

5. Naughty Dog

6. Rockstar North

7. Bungie

8. From Software

9. Arkane Studios

10. Riot Games

To read the full top 50, get hold of the latest edition of Edge which goes on sale on 17 January. In the meantime, why not download the free Edge iPad sampler of issue 249 here.

Comments

1. master sword Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 11:21

Ok i'll give them Valve, but minus minecraft 'Mohjang' haven't really done much else worth mentioning, meh someone elses opinion I suppose, Glad to see Nintendo doing well

2. vix_chan Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 11:24

Thatís great news, it shows that no matter how much people complain about Nintendo games being "Childish" they just can't keep away from playing and enjoying the nostalgia.

3. MatthewONM Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 11:31

Was disappointed that Level-5 didn't make the list. A rare Japanese success story and real digital craftsman.

4. Commandervideo Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 12:29

Where there any other Nintendo related developers in there? Game Freak, Retro studios, RARE?

5. jaco_p Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 12:32

I thought that. While layton may not be as critically acclaimed as it is succesful, they also did inazuma eleven and ni no kuni

And as for Mojang only making minecraft, only the most important game of recent years that has changed the face of gaming!!

6. KH81314 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 13:45

This is great news for Nintendo. Valve does make some pretty good games so I dont mind that they got first.

7. Donkey Kong Jr. Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 13:46

mojang...? MOJANG? ... what complete balls

8. Toastie Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:05

mojang...? MOJANG? ... what complete balls

This isn't just the best companies in terms of games, but also in terms of how good it is to work there etc. Mojang is really fun to work for. Everyone can put their own ideas in, and it has a great, relaxed atmosphere, and everyone knows each other.

Of course, there's also the fact that they made one of the most critically acclaimed games of the decade.

Glad to see Valve at #1. They really deserve it. Not only are their games consistently amazing, but they're a fantastic company to work for (like Mojang), and they have a brilliant sense of humour.

9. geengy Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:11

Valve of course deserved it, but Nintendo deserved second! Mojang are only recognized for Minecraft, and Rareware should be in there! (Not Rare these days, Microsoft ruined it because most Rare staff stuck with Ninty and joined Retro *Trollface*

10. Pyron12 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:19

I agree with the top 3. Valve thoroughly deserve the top spot. Mojang have created one of the most unique game but only one so it's a bit debatable but still they deserve a top 3 spot at least.

11. TheSlenderman Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:31

To be fair, what have nintendo really done recently to get into the top 2? For a while now it has just been a continuous stream of mario games. And while no-one can doubt the quality of these games, it's time for something new. That's why I'm so excited by the wii u and 3ds. Come this time in one or two years, and Nintendo will have top spot. :D

12. Argenthor Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:56

You are not the only one to think that. Notch replied to this on Twitter saying:

"#2? Really? One released game and almost no proven track record. Great honor, of course, but no. ;)"
    "Valve was voted #1, and that I agree with!"

I have to say I agree with him! It's a great game, but Nintendo and Valve have shown so many times how to make amazing games.

13. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 17:31

Valve I can understand. Better than Nintendo? Nah, but no doubt they're a quality developer.

But Mojang?! I'm not a big Minecraft player, though I can't deny the quality of it.

However, they're saying that a company with 1 game to it's name is better than all of Nintendo's years of creativeness, experience and innovation?! It just seems ludicrous...

14. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 17:55

My top three would be Naughty Dog, Platinum Games, and Nintendo. Three amazing developers. Naughty Dog games are some of the finest out there that push the consoles they are on to the absolute limits. Platinum Games seem incapable of making a bad game, and yet keep putting out one after another. Nintendo of course are Nintendo. They're iconic for a reason, and while they can stray off occasionally from amazing games, that's because they innovate and reiterate constantly. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes they don't innovate enough, but when they get it right (which they more often than not do) we're left with some of the best and most unique games out there. There is nothing quite like a Nintendo game.

Mojang shouldn't be there, one game isn't enough.

Level-5 are great when it comes to world-building and vision within a game, but sometimes the actual execution/gameplay can let them down. Look at White Knight Chronicles as a prime example. Although Ni No Kuni looks absolutely stunning, and the initial English reviews look very promising, and Layton is always solid if not that innovative since the first game. So I agree, they should be on the list. Although I wouldn't put them right near the top.

15. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:20

There's not much to fault about Valve, but Mojang? They haven't done anything in years other than update Minecraft, and Minecraft was awful to begin with anyway. Someone please explain why they deserve to be on that list.

16. 3DSRulesO.K Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:33

Mojang sholdn't be higher than Nintendo, they shoud be in the top ten, but not above Nintendo. The only critically acclaimed game that they've ever made is Minecraft. A masterpiece nontheless, but it is just one game. Nintendo, onthe other hand, has been making games for more than 30 years and have established much more IP's than Valve, and have made a greater amount of amazing games than either. Valve and Mojang are both deserving of having their praises sung from rooftops, but Nintendo simply deserves louder praises and from more rooftops. It is a little insulting to put Mojang, a studio with only one game in its companies library, above others like Naughty Dog, Platinum Games and ID Software. Companies with a lot of good games. Even after that, I must ask where SEGA, Capcom and Square Enix placed on this list.

17. vtheyoshi Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:57

Capcom anyone?

18. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 19:00

Capcom really need to up their game. They whore out their games again and again to make money while neglecting their fans (just look at what they've done to Megaman)

19. K-tet Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 19:27

I guess it's far too easy to put Nintendo at number one, but it shows you that, in terms of the industry nowadays, there's more recognition for some smaller developers, and both the attitude towards gaming and gaming in general nowadays has changed significantly from what it was say 15-20 years ago. However, to be absolutely honest, Valve are responsible for Steam, so with that in mind, it's easy to see why they're number one on that list. Mojang on the other hand... why is it number two on that list? Aside from Minecraft, they're responsible for what exactly? I honestly don't believe the hype of Minecraft either. I've played a little bit of it, think it's neat, but that's about it. I guess Sandbox games aren't for me.

However, in terms of gaming pedigree, Valve are nowhere close to Nintendo. On my list, Valve aren't in the top 10, and Mojang wouldn't even feature in my top 20. That's being honest.

20. Mr Roboto Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 19:31

Nintendo has created so many gaming phenomenons over the years no one can touch them. They should be at the No.1 spot no question about it.

21. Baker1000 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 20:25

Hmm, when you compare the number of quality titles produced by the top 3, why isn't Nintendo top? Valve is primarily a first person shooter developer. Nintendo have created games in a wide array of different genres with success in each of them. Probably the only reason Valve is so high is because they created Steam. I might be bias because I only play Nintendo games, but just doing the math with the sheer amount of titles, the range of different genres and how long they've been doing it for and still producing quality games...can there be any other winner?

Also, just as Valve is great at making FPS games, Sqaure Enix is the RPG equivalent...why aren't they even in the top 10?

22. Commandervideo Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 21:01

No Capcom? No Sqaure enix? It sounds like a terrible list

23. lazy_by_choice Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 21:20

i would have thought Square Enix would make it....but Nintendo in the top 3 is great news!! YAAY NINTENDO!!!!! :D

24. super yoshifan Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 08:33

Honestly am I the only one not surprised that Nintendo EAD were ranked so highly? They've got one of the biggest legacies in the industry, have the closet thing to a household game developer name you can get (Shigeru Miyamoto) and they've consistently made games which receive universal acclaim and innovate.

Mojang deserves to be high on the list but compared it to the next 4 or 5 developers and it makes me question why it's so high on the list. As much as I respect the impact of Minecraft one game isn't enough for me.

25. King Slazo Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 11:54

Mojang deserves to be in the top twenty, but to stand between Nintendo and Valve? They're not even close to being at that level.

And yeah, Valve does deserve the top spot more than Nintendo. Between Steam, a total adoption of online communities, a stream of very successful, genre-defining games and the best development enviroment in the industry, they surpass the xenophobic and sometimes misguided Nintendo dev studios. Its a close second though.

Squeenix aren't in the list because they've really dropped the ball over the last decade, splitting fans with each new game they make, Capcom, while they did revive the fighting game genre, then tried to monetise it to hell and back losing sight of why people came back in the first place. Level-5 I can't argue with deserving a spot somewhere on the list, but not in the top half.

26. K-tet Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 12:20

QFT. It also further illustrates the trends in modern gaming. 10 years ago Valve wouldn't have even featured. Perhaps maybe 5 years ago it would've been pretty high on the list, but still nowhere close to Nintendo. Nowadays its position at the top is justified, but gaming purists (and by that I mean those that have been gaming on every major platform for 15+ years) will still argue that, when compared to Nintendo, they don't come anywhere close, and that's one of the great debates we can have as gamers in general.

Recent VS Legacy (or if you will, Modern VS Oldskool) is always a great topic for discussion.

27. 25BBB Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 15:46

I wouldn't put Mojang anywhere near 2nd. Scrolls and Minecraft are all they've released so far (well Scrolls in alpha anyway), any neither of them are anywhere as good as game that people like Nintendo, Platinum and Naughty Dog have made. Glad Nintendo were near the top at least. :)

28. Mmmyeah Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 17:29

I suppose this is a list of the greatest developers at the moment, as in the quality of the games they are currently producing and what they are like to work for.

At first I though this was a list of the best games developers ever, as in the developers who have produced the best games over their entire history, so I was thinking in that case this list is utter nonsense and of course Nintendo should be first, but considering this is a list of developers as current developers then I think it seems pretty fair.

Yeah, I think you misunderstood in the same way I originally did. This isn't about legacy at all, otherwise the list would be completely different, with much more older developers on there.

29. Jake 346 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 18:24

Well, Nintendo WAS number 1 in IGN's recent Top Developers list.

30. K-tet Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 10:03

Sorry to disappoint you, but I hadn't misunderstood the criteria at all. I'm not sure why you'd assume that as I've already outlined why it's fair to say Valve are at the top in an earlier post. Stating that discussion between the trends in gaming nowadays to what they were 10-15 or so years ago is always a good topical point among gamers.

The reason why I said in an earlier post that "it's too easy to put Nintendo at the top" is mostly because of their legacy, but look at the games they've released on their systems within the last five years. You have to admit, even Valve find themselves lacking in that quality department, but PC gaming has had a massive shift in popularity thanks to Steam, hence their justification at the top in Edge's publication. If Nintendo had an online service that was as good as what Steam is, you might find their positions reversed. It's all about current trends, something I most definitely factored in, and I've been a gamer for over 20 years. The cat will be thrown amongst the pigeons when and once OUYA is released.

Everyone's opinions will be different, but as long as sense can be made from such an opinion, it's legit. Remember, if you don't know what you're passing an opinion on, don't pass an opinion on it. If you do, have at it. Discussions are encouraged.

31. King Slazo Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 10:55

Er, no. Not at all.

I mean, if we're talking the last 5 years that just takes Orange Box out of contention, but even then.

Left 4 Dead. Amazing game that redefining co-op play in many ways. 89% on Metacritic.
    L4D2. Took the original and ran with it, adding to it in every way. Also 89% on Metacritic.
    Portal 2 - Phenominal game that took the original and made an epic full length game, plus another full length co-op campaign . 95% on Metacritic.

And those are just the three I've played, there's also DotA2, Alien Swarm and CounterStrike Global Offensive. Valve are even more renowned than Nintendo for releasing quality titles, afterall.

32. K-tet Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 16:02

I take all Metacritic scores with a pinch of salt. I'll give you Portal, but L4D didn't interest me.

I preferred Super Mario Galaxy over Portal in terms of what I'd deem the complete package. Don't get me wrong, I loved playing Portal (and thanks to that I got a Steam account) and thought its sequel was also extremely entertaining without feeling foreign. I prefer my puzzlers with the traditional action element though, so while that's my preference, I'm not knocking Portal. ^.~

As for the others you mentioned, fair enough. Valve have made some good games, but in terms of quality compared to Nintendo, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.