Mutant Mudds Deluxe interview - 'HD brings a whole new experience'

Jools Watsham on the new Ghost levels, his favourite Nintendo games and hardcore platformers

2013 is the year of the hardcore platformer on the Wii U eShop. With games such as Cloudberry Kingdom, Runner2 and Mutant Mudds Deluxe coming to Nintendo's new digital store, fans of rock hard platformers should be challenged like never before this year.

Set for release in March 2013, Mutant Mudds Deluxe is making the leap from 3DS to Wii U. It's an HD remake of the retro platformer that was released on 3DS last year and, like Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive, it features some new treats for those who downloaded the original. As revealed earlier this week, there are 20 new Super Mario World-inspired Ghost Levels to get stuck into which or Max blasts down spooks with the new ammo ghost shot power-ups.

Ahead of what will be a busy year for developer Renegade Kid, studio co-founder Jools Watsham took time out to speak to ONM about Mutant Mudds Deluxe, telling us about the new features, his favourite Nintendo games and making challenging games for hardcore fans.

For those who haven't played the original 3DS game, can you explain what Mutant Mudds is all about and why Wii U owners should download it?

Jools Watsham: Mutant Mudds is a challenging 2D platformer where you can leap into the background and foreground playfields for some dimensionally-woven fun. Why should Wii U owners download it? Well, my personal bias opinion would be because it is a game that is simple to understand yet challenging and rewarding. Plus, it has over 80 levels to frolic in!

So you're making Mutant Mudds Deluxe for Wii U. What's new for the Wii U version? Is there anything you wanted to improve?

Jools Watsham: Regarding improvements for the Wii U version, the only addition in that regard is the checkpoints really. I think this is an improvement in the way that it enables more players to enjoy the game and not get frustrated by the challenge presented.

We were also very mindful of how we added the 20 new Ghost World levels. I wanted to make sure the new content could be accessed by players immediately.

One nice side-effect of the game being displayed on HDTVs is that you can see more of the game world around Max (see picture below). This will help those who found the Eye Shots particularly difficult to handle as it gives you a clearer picture of their whereabouts and more time to approach them.

Do you think that Mutant Mudds is well suited to the Wii U? leaping between the background and foreground seems like it was designed specifically for 3DS...

Jools Watsham: We designed the original 3DS title to work in 2D, just in case players decided to play with the 3D turned off. So, there's just as much fun to be had with no stereoscopic 3D. Plus, traversing the many different neo-retro worlds on your HD TV does bring a whole new experience to the game.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. Slinkington Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:34

I think this game is better suited to the 3DS. Like Mighty Switch Force, although this game more so. I'll still download it as It's a fairly good game.

2. Aboyandhissequel Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:42

So they added checkpoints to the Wii U game? Tom East will no doubt be delighted with that (and I'm sure the game will get a good 80+ accordingly, even though the 3DS game should have had that already) but you can count me out. I do not want easier, I wanted the same harder or extra hard. Not interested thanks.

3. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:51

I love the 3DS version, but found it so annoying having to replay levels over and over until that one time where you get it right. It really needed the checkpoints from the start and should include them on the 3DS version as another update. I got stuck on one of the last V-Lands and I really don't want to rage smash my 3DS like I did with my first GBA SP, so the checkpoints would really help me finish the game.
    I'm excited about number 2 and will most likely buy straight away.

4. RenegadeJools Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 16:54

Checkpoints can be toggled on/off btw. :)

5. Aboyandhissequel Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 17:44

Checkpoints can be toggled on/off btw. :)

Ah, that's good to know; pretty cool you decided to register with us btw. But yeah the truth is that I've already played through the game twice already, and doing so a third time just to get some extra ghost levels isn't enough purchase justification. For others that haven't played it on 3DS though that's awesome and they should buy it.

Looking forward to MM2 though as well as finding out about the FPS you have up your sleeve at any rate - hopefully no more unwarranted outcries about piracy though please. :wink:

6. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 17:59

RenegadeJools are you actually from Renegade Kid? :o

7. RenegadeJools Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:41

Thanks for playing through the game twice already, Aboyandhissequel. Based on the fact that you're obviously a skilled player, you might find the 20 new ghost levels right up your alley. And, yes, let's hope my "outcries" about piracy are indeed unwarranted. :)

Yes, Herbert_Rarr, I am from Renegade Kid. The checkpoints are not planned for a 3DS update as of yet. Maybe one day. If you do decide to check out the Wii U version; hopefully, the checkpoints will help you avoid rage smashing the GamePad. But, no guarantees on that. :)

8. LOZanges Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:41

Right now, I'm pondering as to what score ONM will give it. A possible 80%, maybe?

9. LOZanges Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:51

Checkpoints can be toggled on/off btw. :)

Mutant Mudds as an FPS! Ingenious!! What will they think of next!!! Although I hope RK rest on their laurels a little tiny bit and stick to MM's graphical style, 'cause it's eye-wateringly beautiful. I hope all goes well with the project, Renegade Kid.

PS. Who would care if it looked like Doom with a little less gore? I wouldn't.

-Realises that it isn't a MM FPS, but more like cod. frowns. :(

10. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:52

Great! Finally a game developer who listens to the gamers :D .
    I wasn't planning on getting the Wii U version, sadly, since I probably will rage smash the Gamepad. I had to stop playing at home and start playing it on the bus so I wouldn't start screaming at the game given the fact that there were others around. But nevertheless I really loved the style, physics and gameplay of Mutant Mudds, but I don't think I'd want to do it all again; but it's a different matter for new levels - I would be happy to have more of the game, especially with checkpoints :P . I need something to motivate me to finish the damn thing :mrgreen: .

11. TheSlenderman Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 18:55

The only thing that put me off downloading this for 3ds was the price. I played the, demo though, and it seemed enjoyable enough. If it is in the next 3ds eshop sale, then I will get it.

12. KH81314 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 19:08

I want such a big fan of the original Mutant Mudds. Maybe this version will be better.

13. K-tet Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 19:34

I for one echo the sentiments that for Jools to be among us is indeed an honour and a privilege. We welcome you with open arms (although those that ragequitted so many times whilst playing a true F-off Nintendo Hard game would probably welcome you with a ball & chain and a meat mallet).

Personally, I'd have to have a real justifiable reason to buy the same game again. The reason why I didn't bother with Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition was because it was essentially an HD port. HD isn't a real concrete reason for me to invest, although I do like the idea of having Checkpoints, and more levels is always good. I'm just not feeling it at this moment in time.

Now a discount for being a repeat customer and owning the game on the 3DS would be a deal maker. Shame that ideal world where NNID's are unified doesn't exist at this moment in time. \o/;