Disney Infinity confirmed for Wii U and Wii - first trailer

Disney take on Skylanders with new Wii U game that comes with collectible figures

Disney has confirmed Disney Infinity for Wii U and Wii. Described as a "new interactive gaming platform," the release date has been confirmed for June 2013.

As with Skylanders, there are figures to collect - 17 in total - and the Starter Packs come with three figures - Mr Incredible from The Incredibles, Sully from Monsters and Jack Sparrow from Pirates Of The Caribbean. These are the stars of the first three 'Play Sets' based on the The Incredibles, Monsters University and Pirates Of The Caribbean. Here's a trailer:

These figures can be placed on the Infinity base to unlock the world and play experiences of Disney Infinity. There are also Disney Infinity Power Discs, interactive discs which can be placed on the Infinity base to power up characters and the Toy Box with unique powers, customisations and gadgets. Additionally, a line of 40 collectible interactive pieces will be introduced that allow players to expand and customise their play experiences.

Each of the Play Sets offer different experiences with their own storylines and gameplay but all the Disney characters will be brought together in Toy Box mode which was inspired by the Toy Story 3 game. Here, you can play quests created by Disney or create your own adventures, editing the world and mixing up the gadgets that toys can play with. It also promises to answer the question of who's faster: Lightning McQueen or Dash?

You'll unlock toys in the Play Sets and can then bring them into the Toybox.

Here's some information about the Play Sets, each of which feature multiplayer options. Disney showcased two-player split screen during the press conference.

The Incredibles

This is a game based on an alternative ending to The Incredibles film. All four characters use their super powers so Mr Incredible is really strong, Mrs Incredible is stretchy, Dash can run really fast and Violet can not only use her forcefield defensively but also offensively. Mirage also appears to help defeat Syndrome.

There's also a Superhero HQ building which you can customise, plus a catalogue of gadgets and behicles which you can take into the Toy Box.

Monsters University

This one is based on the forthcoming Disney film and is a prequel to Monsters Inc. Here, Mike and Sully are at university and you'll find out how they got together. It is slightly different from the story of the film as rival universities try to outdo each other by playing pranks on each other. You have to protect your campus from the rival university in a game that - according to Disney - is all about humour and customisation. You can customise and build your frat row area.

Pirates Of The Caribbean

The Pirates Of The Caribbean Playset is a homage to the film as well as the move. The video we saw began with Jack Sparrow rowing through the Caribbean but later on we see him at the helm of a big ship and 50% of this game will be about travelling from island to island on your ship which, of course, you can build and make your own.

There is also swordfighting and you can use a bunch of different combos.

Are you looking forward to Disney Infinity?

Comments

1. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 20:53

Day 1 purchase for me. It has so much potential, looks so original. Can't wait.

2. lazy_by_choice Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 20:56

oohhh man, this actually looks good!! If it comes out on the 3DS then i'm thinking of getting it :D

3. alexjones94 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 21:18

Even if this is the best game in the world, I'm not buying it. These games which prey on pester-power so that people spend a small fortune on a game - for practically worthless add-on content - really annoy me. Makes me imagine corporate fat cats thinking of the best way to squeeze money out of people who don't know better, pretty shameful if you ask me.

4. aidanpowers1 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 21:18

I absolutely can't wait to play this. I think Disney have struck gold with this. Skylanders is a fun game but I don't really feel bothered about getting new characters but by Disney having characters people know and love I'm sure a lot more people will buy extra figures.

5. IG-42 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 21:39

dear parents
    you are in so much damn trouble

6. Riverlution Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 21:40

It looks good, except for the darn figures that they'll make you buy :(

7. shy guy 64 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 22:19

interesting

8. Toquill Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 22:23

This pushes me towards buying a Wii U even more! I'm going to wait for Zelda U and maybe MarioKart, and when I do get a U, I'm definitely getting this game! Looks fantastic for something based on the Pixar films and the like.

9. Tailsdreggman Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 22:37

I see Perry the Platypus in that group shot. Sold.
    Trouble is, the people who complain about these extra mini-figures probably buy figures anyway; my shelves are awash with Marios, a Wolverine bobblehead and a Twilight Sparkle i'm particularly fond of. These are collectable, we're cool with them. Figures that are required for a game, however, we dislike because we are being made to buy them, or we're disallowed content. It's a bit like day-one DLC. We sorta feel cheated.
    Good to see what could be considered Pixar's 'Golden Oldies' getting a show-in, though. Continuity Cavalcade games are always fun, if not just because you can go 'Oh, it's that guy!' and feel about twelve again.

10. Guybrush20X6 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 22:45

I hope it's cheaper than skylanders.

I told myself I'd get Skylanders when the price dropped to a reasonable level. Still been sold for full price even with the sequel around.

11. Kirby8 Tuesday 15th Jan 2013 at 23:33

Urgh! Looks really good, but it's clearly going to cost a bomb like Skylanders does.

12. dave666 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 00:16

JACK SKELLINGTON FIGURE

nuff said

13. jaco_p Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 01:15

i'm sure my little girl would love tthis but it's gonna have to be one helluva game to make me want it too!

14. KH81314 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 05:37

This could actually be something great. Excited to see how good it turns out.

15. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 09:35

Am I the only one that doesn't think that this looks interesting at all? I mean, I'm a fan of Disney's films and animation and all, but the behind all the bright colours it just looks a bit lifeless if you ask me. Besides, what happens when you play the initial three Incredibles, Pirates of the Caribbean and Monsters University levels. Is that it?
    People always complain about expensive downloadable content that's already on the game disc or day one downloadable content - isn't that just what these collectible figures are? Physical DLC? No, thank you.

16. sedativegod Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 09:57

JACK SKELLINGTON FIGURE

nuff said

this man speaks the truth right here!

17. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 10:36

Damn. This looks good but I worry about falling into the trap that Skylanders players are in. So much money...oh so much.

Also, this is the perfect opportunity to please the fans. How about some classic from Disney Afternoon like Launchpad and Darkwing Duck (wishful thinking though...).

18. kevws77 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 10:56

I think that this looks amazing. I am not normally worried about games with a lot of add-on content like this but from experience Disney merchandise retains quite alot of value anyway. The interactive and changeable characters and game worlds looks fantastic and the icing on the cake is the sight of Perry the Platypus from the superb Phineas & Ferb at 01.51 of the video.

19. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 12:59

This is 100 times more interesting than Skylanders,because of the wide range of beloved Disney characters.

While the pay to play really put me of the Skylanders sequel,but this is enough to tempt me to go for it,I just hope it isn't as expensive as Skylanders,but what ever happens this will me a massive money maker for Disney.

20. samus_killer Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 13:01

Even though I'm personally not that fussed about Infinity, I think that there's more to the game than you're interpreting. I don't think it's just basic level structures, but rather an open toy box where you can create anything from the world of Disney. If you've played or heard about the Toy Story 3 game, then I think it's like that, mixed with the figures of Skylanders, but I don't think it'll play at all like Skylanders. At least that's the impression I'm getting. Besides, it's from the same developersas the Toy Story 3 game.

21. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 14:31

Yeah, I've not played Toy Story 3, so I wouldn't know. Also, I've never really got the point of that kind of sand box game. I don't even like the level creation mode in games. For me it's like building IKEA flat-pack furnature without the instructions.

22. LOZanges Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 16:08

Skylanders... Has... Been... Blown... Out... Of... The... Water...

I sure hope the Activision C.E.O didn't hear me.

PS. Wreck-It-Ralph. Need I say any more?

23. TheSlenderman Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 16:56

I wonder, will this game have Star Wars figures as well?
    Also, the NFC reader that you put the figures on doesn't look particularly interesting. I know that it's probably not important, but the skylanders one was all decorated and themed. Oh well. I might get it for 3ds all the same.

24. BrychanCymru Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 16:59

Anyone else notice stitch on the hover-surfboard at 2:11? my favorite disney character ever? no, well look harder!

25. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 17:15

Me too, I made a sarcastic comment, expecting everyone else to think it was awful, I was pretty surprised when everyone genuinely said it looked good.

Just seems like a Skylanders clone. It even looks like it runs in the same game engine as skylanders, even without the figure gimmick and Skylanders was a genuinely bad game to start. I don't even have the game, I've played it for 15 minutes in my cousins house, but I didn't enjoy a second of it. Running around linear levels, fighting enemies and solving puzzles aimed to be easy enough for 5-year-olds just isn't fun. I had heard people saying it was a good game let down by the expensive figures, but even without the figures, it was an awful game. Figures just made it worse.

Well that got off-topic a little, but anyway, I can't imagine a Skylanders clone to ever be a good game. Level editor looks alright and I have nothing against Disney, but as for the rest of the game, just no. Gameplay footage looked like nothing more than another average, budget platformer.

Also, expensive figures gimmick designed to make children spend every penny they have on DLC characters.

26. mrmariomaster Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 17:24

Day 1 purchase for me. It has so much potential, looks so original. Can't wait.

Skylanders?

27. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 17:53

Sarcasm.

I was being sarcastic.

28. shy guy 64 Wednesday 16th Jan 2013 at 18:59

Anyone else notice stitch on the hover-surfboard at 2:11? !

i noticed

anyone spot the sky lanterns from tangled?

29. Darkblizz Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 01:34

Skylanders was boring but this looks GREAT.

It'd be really awesome if we got characters who are kind of overlooked too, like Bernard and Bianca, or Robin Hood, or someone from Treasure Planet. Not that we'd get the likes of Jim or Silver, since we've already got Pirates of the Caribbean...

30. fluggy2003 Thursday 17th Jan 2013 at 14:44

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! This will be appalling. Dressed up to sound exciting. To me Infinity sounds like eternal damnation. A sinister trap for unsuspecting parents to fall into. When was the last good Disney game? It'll be a cynical, half arsed attempt to squeeze even more money out of kids. Bet it averages reviews in the late 50% mark. Disney will know its rotten when completed .... But they'll release it anyway (a la Epic Mickey 2). Play testing/quality control/integrity will all be thrown out the window in return for a fast buck.