5 games to keep you busy until Pokemon X and Y

Can't wait until October? Marti Bennett chooses five games that Pokemon fans might enjoy on 3DS

Good news everyone! There's only just over nine months until Pokemon X and Y are released! What do you mean that's a long time to wait? Well yes, I guess you're right. I guess knowing a release date so far in advance does mean we have a painful wait.

Here are some of the games I'll be playing to satisfy the Pokemon sized itch until X and Y are released.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

The latest Pokemon spin-off game brings back the random dungeon exploring of the Mystery Dungeon series, this time on 3DS. Yes, you are once again a human that has turned into a Pokemon (either Snivy, Tpig, Oshawott, Pikachu, or Axew) and you need to make your way through randomly generated dungeons befriending Pokemon. There are also multiplayer modes, and downloadable content to extend your adventure.

Okay, it hasn't been confirmed for a European release yet but it is coming to the US in March and considering all the Mystery Dungeon games have been released in the UK, you'd have to hope that this 3DS game would come to Europe. I wasn't a huge fan of past dungeon games, but it looks beautiful on 3DS. A small step towards our next 3D Pokemon adventure.

Freakyforms Deluxe

I didn't get around to buying Freakyforms Deluxe when it was released last year, but I was lucky enough to be able to select it as my free downloadable game as part of the 3DS XL promotion. Not only do I enjoy making my own creations but I like the challenge of creating Pokemon in the game. I've not unlocked that much yet but I have already made several Pokemon to adventure with. My most recent edition is the new X and Y grass starter, Chespin.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. KH81314 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 10:16

Not that interested in the games beside harmoknight.

2. shy guy 64 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 10:29

well i certainly plan on getting animal crossing and harmo knight

and i'll probably go back and do some more stuff on black 2

3. CDS Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 10:53

When Animal Crossing comes out, I'll be absorbed into that, but in the meantime I've still to beat the Elite Four on Black 2. And I suppose Mario Kart 7 never gets old.
    But as well as that, I've got Jetpack Joyride on two systems to complete.

4. torterratrainer Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 12:22

too many good games coming out 2013- not a good time to have a 3DS, WIIU and X360

WiiU: Rayman legends
    MH3U
    Pikmin3

3DS: AC: new leaf
    MH3U
    Pokemon X/Y
    LuigisMansion2
    PMD gates to infinity
    MH4

X360: Crysis 3
    xbox720
    battlefield 4
    halo 5

5. ThePokekid78 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 12:36

Same here Marti - I must complete the National Pokedex on BW2 before October!

*Turns cap around*

6. Samster296 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 12:55

What about Luigi's Mansion?

7. lrwr14 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 13:10

I can make it with just Monster Hunter 3U, only problem is that it doesn't come out till March :(

8. fisher2007 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 14:43

well i certainly plan on getting Castlevania lords of shadow mirror of fate,Luigi's Mansion,harmoknight,animal crossing new leaf

9. Nintendo4Ever Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 16:24

Why has no one mentioned Fire Emblem: Awakening yet isn't that coming out in April?

Anyways, looking forward to Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Pokemon X and Y obviously :D .

10. Tinstar5 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 19:00

Animal crossing New leaf (YESSSS)

11. rayquaza9999 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 19:40

Actually a trio of wii ware mystery dungeon's were realased only in japan.

WiiU: Rayman legends
    MH3U
    Pikmin3

3DS: AC: new leaf
    MH3U
    Pokemon X/Y
    LuigisMansion2
    PMD gates to infinity
    MH4

X360: Crysis 3
    xbox720
    battlefield 4
    halo 5

MH4 will not realase in the west this year and halo 5 won't come until at least 2014 if not 2015

12. Darkblizz Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 19:59

It's all about Harmo Knight and Animal Crossing for me.

13. vetdoctorvet Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 19:59

Guild Wars 2 will keep me alive until MH3U. Hopefully MH3U will keep me busy until MH4. :lol:

14. bethrj Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 21:02

"considering all the Mystery Dungeon games have been released in the UK,"

Seriously? Blazing/Stormy and Light Adventure Squad are out? When did the release of these three happen over here?

Wait, they didn't?

Oh...

Also:

"our Generation V to Generation IV games"

WOAHWOAHWOAH... Gen 5 to 4? BW to DP? The games aren't backwards compatible like THAT and never will be.

15. Linkfan42 Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 21:04

Animal Crossing should keep me busy from whenever the release date is and onwards, but I think that the main game I'll be playing until October is going to be Ni no Kuni on the PS3.

16. PokeMarti Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 21:27

"considering all the Mystery Dungeon games have been released in the UK,"

Wait, they didn't?

Oh...

Also:

"our Generation V to Generation IV games"

*checks my copy I sent Tom* Nope. Looks like Tom did some editing here. I wouldn't have said that about the Mystery Dungeon games as I am well aware of the Wii games, and in that generation sentence I used numbers instead of V and VI. It was supposed to say gen 5 to gen 6 (V to VI)

17. TheVelvetRoom Saturday 19th Jan 2013 at 22:01

I fear we might not actually be seeing Animal Crossing until the end of the year, considering there was no sign of it in the American release schedule for the first half of this year. It's not impossible for it to be released before October, but that localisation could be a considerable setback.

18. Kirby8 Sunday 20th Jan 2013 at 12:57

9 months...excruciatingly long wait!
    I really hope Animal Crossing comes out this summer. ShopTo has it placed as June, but of course, that's not accurate! I can't wait to play it! I'm also really looking forward to playing Luigi's Mansion. HarmoKnight looks really cool too!
    Also looking forward to some WiiU games, like The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover and Pikmin 3.
    Of course, the main thing that will be keeping me busy is all my Uni work *cries*
    I haven't transferred all my Pokémon to one cartridge yet either. I had the full pokédex on Pokémon Diamond, and started transferring them all to Pokémon Black way back when, but then my exams were close and had little spare time. But I did manage to get most of them onto Pokémon Black, but never got round to finishing it off. I'm going to move them all to Black 2 soon.
    I really hope they do make a quicker way, as it's way to slow at the moment. Someone else said, and I agree, the best way would to make an 3DS eshop storage app game that can take all your Pokémon, and then you put in your 3DS Pokémon X or Y and you can transfer them all from the box. So Pokémon Box 2.
    Also, give us Meoletta!! They still need to distribute Meoletta in our country. Then we can finally complete the current National Pokédex (again) before the new one comes.

19. cheatmaster30 Sunday 20th Jan 2013 at 13:59

No Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon? That comes out this March too, and that could keep people playing until Pokemon X and Y are released in October.

20. MartinIsAwesome Sunday 20th Jan 2013 at 15:55

Good news everyone!

Hi, Professor Farnsworth!

21. olrodlegacy Sunday 20th Jan 2013 at 16:02

I bought myself Black 2 for Christmas and have only just arrived at Route 4. Having played every generation, I'm determined to finish the Pokedex this time round! I've also got NSMB2 and the newest Professor Layton, both of which I haven't played yet.

22. bethrj Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 21:12

"considering all the Mystery Dungeon games have been released in the UK,"

Wait, they didn't?

Oh...

Also:

"our Generation V to Generation IV games"

...xD I thought the point of the editing was to remove any potential errors, not add a load more in... Probly worth kicking him then, or something...