Luigi's Mansion 2 has a multiplayer mode

Official Nintendo website reveals local multiplayer for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

You'll be able to play Luigi's Mansion 2 with at least one friend. Yes, as revealed on Nintendo's website, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon will boast a local multiplayer mode.

No details have been mentioned about the nature of the multiplayer mode in a summary about the game on the website which reads:

"With so many new places to explore, all new ways to capture ghosts, and a brand new local multiplayer mode, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is another star turn for Mario's heroic brother-and it's only on Nintendo 3DS."

The Luigi's Mansion 2 UK release date has been set for March 2013.

Comments

1. LugiaCake Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 10:33

Awesome! This is great news, my hype for the game is suddenly extreme. I can't wait!

2. vix_chan Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 10:35

I hope it's a single cart multiplayer like Mario Kart 7.

Me and my boyfriend both love the original Luigis mansion so it's going to be great fun to be able to play together rather than have to steal the controller (or rather 3DS in this case) from eachother.

3. Slinkington Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 10:48

Thanks to the industry state today, this immediately made me think of "maps" and "guns".

4. theycallmejack Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 10:56

Does the game actually have a multiplayer mode though? Originally Nintendo said that there was one, then pretty soon after they said that there definitely wasn't and it was a mistake, now they're saying that there is one but the page for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on their website says 'Number of Players: 1'. I think some examination into this is probably required before branding it as fact...

5. MartinIsAwesome Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 11:10

I can't even begin to imagine how that would work! Would you both play as Luigi to compete in catching the most ghosts in a time limit, or prehaps the second player plays as Toad (or even MARIO) in a co-op mode.
    As Vix said, I hope it's single card mulitplayer. When he got New Super Mario Bros 2 we were both excited about playing 2 player co-op mode, only to find that it required a second game card.

6. lazy_by_choice Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 11:11

awesome!! this just adds fuel to my burning desire to get this game :)

7. tomonm Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 11:30

I understand what you're saying. We didn't report on the original story because it seemed that it could be a mistake. It was soon taken down. However, this word from IGN would suggest that this isn't a mistake, even if the website still says; Players: 1.

The real question - what will this multiplayer entail? Competitive? Cooperative? Number of players? You might want to stay tuned to IGN in the coming days. Just saying.

8. torterratrainer Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 13:58

this just got a whole lot more interesting! (it was already on the wishlist just moved up a notch! :) )

but i wanna get a hard drive for the wii u :( - should'nt have gone for basic

9. samus_killer Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 14:12

I'm intruigued with the concept of multiplayer in Luigi's Mansion, but have a giut feeling that it'll feel very much an afterthought. Especially given that we've known about LM2 for nearly 2 years and yet heard nothing official of the multiplayer with only 2 months until its release.

Much like the recent announcement of multiplayer in the upcoming Tomb Raider this feels tacked on, but won't affect my decision on whether to get it or not, because I always knew I that wanted Luigi's Mansion 2 since it was announced.

Also, like Martin said, how will this work? The only thing I can think of is 2-player vs. where you each have a time limit to see who can suck up the most ghosts. Unless one player controls Luigi, whilst the other controls the ghosts, a la Nintendo Land. I mean I'd love a full co-op mode, but I can't see how that would work.

10. shadowlugia101 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 15:37

would this be co-op campaign or competing against each other to see who can catch the most ghosts. either way could be executed well

11. KH81314 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:43

Does this mean that you can go through the story with somebody else or that there is a different part with someone else. I hope that its the first one.

12. thenintendoer Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 18:30

would love it to be campaign co-op :) (thats not gonna happen though)

13. Dalekbuster523 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 19:27

This puts Rayman Origins to shame. If Luigi's Mansion is able to have a multiplayer option,then why couldn't a 3DS port of a game that was originally multiplayer in the first place?

14. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 13:14

Sounds interesting.

15. MatthewONM Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 13:26

I have a feeling that it's going to be a self-contained co-op mode. Having played the game a few weeks ago, the single-player is already pushing the 3DS to breaking point, visuals-wise, so I imagine they need to build something more bespoke. The combat has a more arcade-y kick to it than before, so some kind of focused combat challenge would make sense.

16. theycallmejack Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 13:48

Ahh, thanks Tom, that makes it clearer! I reckon it'll be one person playing as a ghost and trying to spook the other one playing as Luigi, or maybe a competitive 'who can catch the most ghosts', kind of thing! Exciting either way! :D