Remember Nintendo Magazine System?

Here's the first cover of the first ever official Nintendo magazine

Do you remember Nintendo Magazine System? Truth be told, I don't. Until this landed on my desk a few months ago, I thought that there was NOM and then there was ONM and that was that. Turns out there was an official Nintendo magazine before Nintendo Official Magazine and it was the brilliantly titled Nintendo Magazine System.

So you had your Nintendo Entertainment System or your Super Nintendo Entertainment System. What magazine should you buy to read about all the games on those consoles? Nintendo Magazine System, of course! Although, being an employee of Future Publishing, I should probably say Super Play!

So I became aware of this mag thanks to our Digital Designer Luc who plonked a load of them on my desk a few months back, including issue 1. He used to buy them when he was a kid, hence the doodles on Mel Gibson's face.

So why am I only writing about it now on the Official Nintendo Magazine website. Because it's the 20th anniversary of the release of Super Mario Kart in the UK. It would go on to be one of the biggest Nintendo series of all time and Nintendo Magazine System had the exclusive review for their first issue. But what did they put on the cover? Lethal Weapon SNES! Remember that? No, thought not...

Still, it's easy to laugh in hindsight. Remember that the idea of a plumber in a kart seemed odd to many people back in the early 1990s. Plus, I'm sure every magazine has at least one cover star that they regret.

Nintendo Magazine System's verdict on Mario Kart? "A superb piece of software which is let down by its lack of one-player lasting appeal. But for those with friends, this is an unmissable game."

They gave it 92 based on a 94 for Presentation, 96 for Graphics, 90 for Sound, 89 for Lastability and 94 for Playability. Remember when mags used to do give scores for graphics, sound and playability?

Do you remember Nintendo Magazine System? Share your memories below...

Comments

1. ninjaturtill Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 16:49

I have that issue at home. If I remember correctly it came with a free gift of a keyring which was a clock in the same of a GameBoy.

2. Argenthor Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:05

I remember it being shown in an old issue of NOM... mainly due to Mel Gibson's hair!

With Nintendo Power stopping in America , it's good to see how far the official mag here has come and hopefully continues :)

3. TheSlenderman Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:10

I've never heard of this mag before, but it's always good to learn something new every day!! :D

4. MartinIsAwesome Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:42

Alas, in those days I was strictly a SEGA Boy who read Sonic The Comic (and a fine publication it was too), so I wouldn't have had a reason to pick this up. I didn't start reading a Nintendo mag until after getting my Nintendo 64 by which point NMS had already changed it's name to simply "Nintendo Magazine" (although, funnily enough they referred to themselves as "ONM" too), with Issue 62 in November. What was on the cover? Why, Duke Nukem of course! Duke Nukem 64 got a score of 91%. Elsewhere inside it features the worlds first screenshots of "Hey You, Pikachu!", some very early Ocarina of Time screenshots, a review of Lylat Wars which scored 93%, and some fan-art of Mario in Mario Kart driving over a "Greystation". Mature bunch weren't we?

I still have a huge collection of almost every issue since (I'm only missing #63) right up to NOM's final issue (#162, February 2006). I love flicking through the older issues which include screenshots of games still in development and how different they ended up being.

5. MistaChristopher Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:54

I have heard of this publication, but never got one. I was born in 1994 so that's why. I do have a Mario Kart DS covered NOM issue though so close enough!

6. mog96 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 17:56

Only 2 :lol:

7. olrodlegacy Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 18:46

How about making today's mag 2?

Those were the glory days... the build-up to the legendary Tim Street era...

8. rayquaza9999 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 19:05

How about making today's mag 2?

Those were the glory days... the build-up to the legendary Tim Street era...

Accounting for inflation that number rises to 3.58 so it's not much of an increase really!

9. fisher2007 Monday 21st Jan 2013 at 21:41

i didn't buy Nintendo Magazine System also i don't remember seeing in the shop's. :(

10. dave666 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:45

yep,I remember that old nintendo magazine

best games magazine ever was CVG (sorry ONM) with that yellow freeplay pull out. Also worth a mention is maximum magazine.

11. carnivine chaos Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 23:30

Ahhh, back when the magazine was good...

12. Laughlyn Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 04:05

I have the issue still in my drawer on desk i'm typing on. think i scanned some pages in when chris was doing his desk clearout competition cos i also scanned in pages of an old donkey kong comic i had too.
    I've been trying to look for one of the TIMEBOY keyrings you got free with the mag too. that was awesome. it was a small keyring in shape of the original gameboy with just a simple lcd watch on it. was gutted when i lost it :(

13. Laughlyn Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 04:08

yep,I remember that old nintendo magazine

Your possibly old enough to remember 'GO!' that came with CVG too? when they did their infamous Gameboy version of Mario Kart and made their own 6 button attachment thing. it was a great April Fools joke back in the day when evryone didnt know everything because of the internet. Also Super Play was a great little magazine as was TOTAL! i had a big clearout several years ago of all my old gaming mags, kept all my old nms/onm but got a decent fortune for the others :D

14. Super-PWii Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:06

Not only do I remember it, but I'm also old enough to remember

Which along with the sister off shoot Mean Machines Sega, was my all time fave Mag :D

15. Dalekbuster523 Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 16:30

'lastability' is laughable,considering Mario Kart is still around.