LEGO City Undercover: 'It will take 10 minutes to drive a loop of the city'

Travellers Tales tell ONM more about their new LEGO Wii U game

The city in LEGO City Undercover is so big it would take ten minutes just to drive around the edge of it. That's the word from executive producer Loz Doyle who told ONM more about the forthcoming Wii U game for a special feature which appears in ONM 91.

LEGO City Undercover takes place in a GTA-style open world and puts you in the shoes of undercover cop Chase McCain who has to drive around the city in a bid to put a stop to Rex Fury's crime wave. You have to don many disguises to find out how Rex escaped from Albatross Island prison before finding him and making the city a peaceful place again.

As Doyle told ONM, exploring this city will take some time. "It would take 10 minutes just to drive a loop of the city. That doesn't even include exploring all the side roads and other regions. Not only is there the ground level city to explore but you can also get up on the rooftops where there is a whole load of additional gameplay."

The City itself is a mixture of New York and San Francisco, complete with its own versions of Times Square, the Statue Of Liberty, The Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz (Albatross Island).

You can read more about LEGO City Undercover in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which is out now.

Comments

1. GuyWhoLikesBlue2 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 11:27

10 minutes to loop the map is pathetic compared to a lot of open world games xD

2. Waldy565 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 12:10

Sounding good, if I get a Wii U for Christmas (missed out, what with needing a car this year, lessons etc) I will pick it up then (I'll be a bit late, but I'm late all ready really haha :P)

3. Fox_McCloud Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 12:12

10 minutes to loop the map is pathetic compared to a lot of open world games xD

Yeah, that's ridiculously tiny

4. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 13:07

That isn't that bad.

5. ChandraONM Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 13:13

That isn't that bad.

Exactly. Considering in other LEGO games you can walk around any given level in anywhere between 5 and 30 seconds, it's a huge step forward.
    There's no point having a ridiculously huge world just for the sake of it.
    The idea is to have a decent-sized world but fill it with fun stuff to do.

Whether this game actually manages the right balance is yet to be determined but we'll know soon enough.

6. KH81314 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 13:48

Haven't gotten a Lego game in a while since most of them are similar. This ones seems better than the other ones.

7. Mr Roboto Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 19:24

10 minutes to loop the map is pathetic compared to a lot of open world games xD

Yeah

But it is a Lego game after all so I'm not expecting too much.

8. TheSlenderman Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 20:04

First thing I do when I get this game; try and loop the city in under 10 minutes...

I'm way too competitive! :mrgreen:

9. LOZanges Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 21:36

I know I'll sound like a n00b (C.O.D/Halo/T.F.2 ect. reference there :mrgreen:) saying this but I need help. Here goes nothing...

1. How do you have/change your ONM profile picture?

2. How do you have/change your ONM signature/banner?

10. liveswired Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 22:20

10 minutes to loop the map is pathetic compared to a lot of open world games xD

You seem to forget this game is aimed at ALL ages - not just adults. How can you expect a kid to travel across a world the size of Skyrim........Some people!

11. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 22:29

To be fair, in Just Cause 2 would take about 15 - 20 minutes to drive around the outline of Panau. So this is big enough.

10 minutes to loop the map is pathetic compared to a lot of open world games xD

Yes because an open world automatically makes the game too hard for young children. The terrain in Skyrim could be frustrating for a child, but a load of generic streets are hardly enough for them to rage-quit. I fail to see your logic.

12. deKay Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 12:35

Takes less than 10 minutes to loop Skyrim on a horse.

13. lazy_by_choice Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:07

this trailer....I dont know if it is just me who thinks this but the scene with the prison inmate....it reminds me of Morgan Freeman's character in that movie The Shawshank Redemption LOOL

14. deKay Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:59

That's because that's exactly what it is based on. The game is full of film, TV and game references - Zelda, Titanic, The Matrix, GTA, Speed...

15. pikachu101 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:55

10 minutes isn't that bad, but it could be better. looks like a quality game though :)

16. 0010110 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 21:22

I drove the entire EDGE of Panau, going as fast as I could (and I took off about 5 minutes for crashes etc.), literally tonight and it took me 48 minutes...

17. Rainbow Shifter Saturday 26th Jan 2013 at 09:16

Yes it takes you 10 minutes to go around the outside of the city. Once you've done that you won't even have explored half of the city and none of the exciting back passages. There is so much more to do on this game and it would take you way more than 10 minutes to explore everything.