New Wii U games to be revealed in Nintendo Direct on Wednesday

New Nintendo Direct scheduled for 2pm

Nintendo will showcase new Wii U games during a Nintendo Direct broadcast on Wednesday 23 January.

Presented by Satoru Iwata, this new European edition of Nintendo Direct will be broadcast in the UK at 2pm.

You'll be able to watch the show and follow all the news here. Which new Wii U games do you think will be revealed? Get your predictions in now...

Comments

1. pokemaster Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 14:51

The usual, Zelda, Metroid, and F-Zero. Although would be more interested in something new, original and surprising.

2. 5OUNDWAVE Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:08

killer instinct , diddy kong racing 2 and a new wave race ?

3. paultheotherone Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:16

If they announced any of those games, that would be extremely surprising this early in the life span of the console.

But when they say new, do they mean new games that acutally haven't been announced ever, or games that were mentioned or showcased briefly (I.E. Wii Fit U, Wonderful 101) but are considered new beacuse they haven't been given release dates?

I hope a Wii Sports sequel, and a first party franchise at least will be announced.

4. smashbros-kid Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:20

I wonder if it'll focus on 1st or 3rd party games? These events have tended to focus on the later with a smattering of 1st party announcements.
    To me this is very sensible of Nintendo. The line up from now till June looks decent enough but beyond that there's nothing. Perhaps tomorrow we'll see a big announcement or two of games that'll be playable at E3? An update on Smash would be nice, keep the trailer and playable demo till E3 but perhaps a title or a progress report would be nice.
    I hope they give Mario a rest. Now I'm not saying I'd complain if they announced a 3D Mario game, far from it; but after last year I think it's time Zelda came back and perhaps some of the lesser known titles. After Kid Icarus last year I'd love to see another franchise see some love. F-Zero, Metroid- surprise me.
    My prediction is a title or two we don't know about but the big guns will, rightfully, be held back till June.

5. Wiimote Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:27

How about Animal Crossing Wii U, Mario Kart Wii U & of cause Super Smash Bros. 4 :D lol.

6. 5OUNDWAVE Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:36

paultheotherone i as well would like a wii sport's sequel , ever since i seen that video of the gamepad on the floor - the screen filled with sand and the golf ball sitting in the sand then the person swinging over it with the wii-mote and the golf ball disappear's of the gamepad then reappear's on the tv screen - make it so nintendo !

7. lminett Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:39

I think it'll be features like the google map app thing, as well as talking more about the up and coming games like pikimin and lego city undercover. Id be surprised if they revel anything new, id like them too, but i doubt we will see them do that.

8. CyberGW Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:54

Shame it's an awkward time, I would have loved to watch it.
    Guess I'll just catch up later. I will scream my head off if it's Rhythm Thief 2 on Wii U. I may be murdered for this, but I'd be much happier with that announcement than a new Zelda.

9. Tinstar5 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:56

Here's my wishlist :

Star fox, Metroid project dread, super mario galaxy 3, new Zelda game, Pokemon stadium, animal crossing U, Beyond good and evil 2, Mario kart 8, Super smash Bros. 4, Sin and punishment 3, Super mario sunshine 2 (please god), Zelda majora's mask 2, kirby's epic yarn 2, Super mario RPG 2, F-Zero and mario strikers.

10. shy guy 64 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 15:58

cool looking forward to it

11. mario_boi Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:16

If Nintendo Directs from the past (aside from Pokémon x&y) are anything to go by, Nintendo's meaning of New is 'Games yet to be released'.
    So I'm guessing it will be details on wonderful 101 and Game & Wario etc.
    Not getting my hopes up this time :(

12. tomonm Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:20

Here's my wishlist :

I think you may be disappointed. Not that I know anything of course. Wonder if we'll see Resident Evil Revelations Wii U tomorrow?

13. ThePokekid78 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:39

Shame it's an awkward time, I would have loved to watch it.

Consider yourself murdered!

14. lyingthroughyour Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:44

Here's my wishlist :

Oh dear. Please tell me a multiplatform port of a 3DS game isn't the ENTIRE focus of the ND? Really hoping we get at least a few other game announcements..

15. NP Chilla Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:47

I reckon they'll draw attention to the games which will expected to sell well in the near future (Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3 etc) BUT will possibly throw us a couple of bones in terms of trailers for as yet unannounced opuses.

Maybe they'll announce what Retro Studios is currently developing, for example?

16. CBTIRL Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:50

Tiger Woods 14 including worlds first gameplay footage please. And GTA V but that wont happen. And a date for BO2 DLC. And Zen Pinball 2. I dont ask for much

17. hammster Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:52

Interesting extrapolation.

18. Smyrlie Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:54

Hopefully a new mario kart to celebrate the 20th anniversary and a new wii sports. I'd love to see what they do with the gamepad in either of the two, the golf and baseball games have shown what kind of thing could be done in wii u sports. Or maybe a new game which could support 2 gamepads, that would be awesome! But it will most likely just be some news on games yet to be released. :roll:

19. IPecksU Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 16:59

My body is ready for a new franchise, maybe one that targets those guys that still think Nintendo is for babies. But personally I love the wonderfully colourful and interesting Nintendo worlds.

20. KH81314 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 17:10

I would like Metroid and maybe f-zero or Mario kart would be cool.

21. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 17:17

I wonder if we'll hear about those new Sonic games SEGA said are coming out this this year.

22. Riverlution Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 17:59

Anything, as long as it doesn't suck. The Wii U has an awful lack of content past March, and we literally have nothing to look forward to at the moment. I'm hoping for a new IP straight from Nintendo themselves, though I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a major one of their franchises like Zelda or Metroid. As long as its not Mario, I'll be content.

23. Kirby8 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 18:42

Yay! Can't wait! I hope it showcases more future games (of course unlikely to give a release date, but maybe a time frame?) and some release dates for expected games. Like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101.

24. Mr Roboto Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 19:20

The Wii U needs this badly as it has a lot of negative news story's floating about.

I really need something positive to look forward too before Microsoft and Sony steal the spot light away from Wii U.

25. Layton link Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 19:30

I doubt its going to be anything massivly interesting..not gonna be a new zelda or mario..probably a few 3rd party games that wont be very interesting..probably a few sports games..maybe some ports,nothing special.

26. Samster296 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 19:33

I will make my day if they release a Super Smash Bros trailer.

27. Skyward Demise Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 19:51

I think it might be the new game from Retro!

28. debris Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 20:43

Nintendo now more than ever need to show their hand and give the world a reason to want a WiiU, the ball is firmly in their hands and they need to knock it out the park with some big announcements to at least give us a idea that some big things are in development and on the way, sure there are some great games coming like Lego City etc, but as for Aliens and Pikmin3 we don't even have a realise date yet and it now looks like Pikmin has slipped to 1st half rather than 1st Q or with in the launch window. My fingers are crossed that this Direct gives us some solid news and release dates for these titles and others like Wonderful101, Nintendo have every opportunity and reason to let us know why the WiiU is a essential purchase for gamers and for the likes of most of us here who have already bought one a reason to smile.

29. Baker1000 Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 20:44

No Zelda, no Metroid, no Mario. They'll reveal these at E3, and that's if they even reveal them this year. In the case of Zelda, I suspect we'll be waiting until next year to even see anything about that.

I'd like the new Retro game to be announced. F-Zero and Star Fox, two series long overdue a return to home consoles. Might we also see a Pilotwings on the Wii U? One can hope.

30. LOZanges Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 21:30

I want Nintendo to announce the first entry in a new series of games, with new characters, original game play, some cool Wii U features and of course, I want it to be fun. I know it's a lot to ask but, something different would be nice. Also, Mario Kart U should make an appearance.

From your good friend that you've never met and probably never heard of, LOZanges.

Goodbye!

31. Trilink Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 21:36

Realistically speaking, Nintendo will most likely cover some of the key games they revealed at E3 2012, so we're probably going to see more of Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and possibly Bayonetta 2. I have a gut instinct which tells me Nintendo will also unveil a couple of new games, hopefully from one of their key developers like Retro Studios or Monolith Software. Theres an extremely slim chance that anything Mario or Zelda related will be shown, and no chance of Smash Bros appearing. At the earliest id say they would be shown at E3. Even then im only optimistic for Mario news rather than Zelda news. I expect to hear about Smash Bros news in 2014 and that's at the earliest unfortunately!

32. CraigEmberson Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 21:40

Apparently it's full title is "Nintendo Direct: Nintendo Games"... So, first party.

33. Toosimoo Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013 at 22:01

I expect them to leave the big games til E3, we will probably get an update on Pikmin, Lego city, monster hunter and Colonial marines.

34. Ymmot392 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 00:50

I'm crossing my fingers for Pikmin 3!