Zelda: Wind Waker coming to Wii U in Autumn 2013

Surprise announcement during Nintendo Direct

Nintendo surprised everyone by revealing that a remake of the GameCube classic The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker is coming to Wii U, with a release date set for this Autumn. Zelda mastermind Eiji Aonuma announced the news during Nintendo Direct this afternoon.

The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker was released for GameCube in 2003 and was recently selected as our best GameCube game of all time. It was the first game to introduce Toon Link, setting the scene for the likes of The Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks

The HD Wind Waker remake is the first Legend Of Zelda game on Wii U and Nintendo are working on it alongside the brand new Legend Of Zelda game that was showcased at E3 2011.

According to Eiji Aonuma, the new game will take some time to complete as it will rethink the conventions of Zelda.

Are you excited about the Wind Waker remake?

Comments

1. NE1 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:49

I WANT YOUR BABIES IWATA!!

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:49

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. McGovern Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:53

Didn't see that coming, but this is my favourite Zelda so I can't wait!

4. barrybarryk Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:54

It's a sad state of affairs when the biggest title a new console has on the cards is a HD port coming out towards the end of the year. If Nintendo are planning on selling any Wii Us over the next few months they're going to have to arrange a leak of the games they and the other publishers haven't announced yet.

5. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:55

No one was expecting that, least of all me. Especially when you consider that people have been expecting remakes of Majora's Mask and A Link To The Past for ages.
    Those screens look so amazing. I'd happily buy it again.

6. mario_boi Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 14:56

I actually screamed like a little girl when this was shown

7. Tazer_Silverscar Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:03

While I didn't expect it, it's a nice thing to see. I just hope they add more to it, because the whole collecting the Triforce Shards kinda ticked me off.

8. rhemfur Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:10

I can't belive that, I was waiting for so long Zelda Wind Walker for Nintendo 3ds!! I'm really sad right now! :cry:

9. Issun2765 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:28

I literally caught my breath. I need a Wii U now, for I have never played this game and the GameCube version is near impossible to find for cheap. Wooooooooh!

10. pokemaniac 212 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:37

This just made my year. Wind Waker is my favourite zelda game, possibly linked to it being my first, but that doesn't change how awesome it is. And those pictures they showed were stunning. Add a new dungeon to lengthen it a bit, and whatever you do don't touch the pictobox sidequest, and I'm happy for life.

11. fluggy2003 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:39

Hd windwaker is Pointless. The gamecube version still plays and looks gorgeous. In fact, the HD visuals seem to remove all of the character the original had. They'd be better just sticking the original on virtual console. Nothing excited me at all at Direct. 101 looks like quirky japanese rubbish. Virtual console is hopeless and only good for possibility of GameCube games. Xenoblade looked good until those stupid numbers started streaming from the monsters.... Hate hit point crap. Yoshis yarn looked good. Liked playing Kirby with niece. Mario and new Zelda obviously good news but where were the preview reels for them? Miiverse is great .... For kids. Seriously, what adult wants to leave game notes and pics for kids to read. I turn it off on wii u games I play. I want to play a game in peace without repeatedly seeing irrelevant messages from kids or being asked if I want to post a message after every level. Stupid messages like "Watch that moving platform" or "this levels hard"! A real annoyance!!! I hate people who post boring stuff about themselves on Facebook every day. I certainly don't want that carrying over to my gaming too.

12. mandlecreed Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:42

If they add in the 'missing content' form the GC version and make the Triforce quest less of a ballache, it'll be nice.

But still, TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO.

13. masamune Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:47

I HAVE TO BUY A WII U NOW, DAMN IT NINTENDO

14. Nintendo4Ever Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:52

I'll finally get the chance to play Wind Waker without paying 40+ for a used GameCube copy... OF COURSE I'M EXCITED ABOUT A REMAKE!!!

I think Nintendo must be an organisation of Master Thieves... They're always taking my money!

15. EighteenSky Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:01

Would rather have a HD Twilight Princess as it'd benefit from the upgrade more and it was better than WW.

16. regginator3 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:05

you're a retard your opinions suck and I hate you

<user was suspended for this post>

17. EighteenSky Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:20

you're a retard your opinions suck and I hate you

Love you too.

18. MatthewONM Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:27

BOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOOO! I wish we could ban people for being killjoys. You'd be gone in an instant. BOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOOO!

19. torterratrainer Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:36

OH COME ON! THIS IS COMPLETE UNADULTERATED WALLET SLAVERY!

what about all those other games that we want. not counting any other system (xbox,pc...)

its like shoving a giant cake in your face and saying that you can only have some of it, even if it all tastes so good and beautiful.

wont stop me getting this :D

20. Jarmez Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:46

Well, I certainly did not expect this. I played Wind Waker only a few times a while back, but never managed to complete it (I was borrowing my brother's copy). It's too expensive to buy now, so I must now place Wind Waker HD onto my games wishlist now, thanks Nintendo =)

21. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:53

I never had a GameCube, so I never played wind waker, so I am really excited by this. I was mulling over the thought of getting a wii u, but this is the perfect reason!!! :D

22. TheNUKEnukeM Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:05

Twilight Princess and Wind Waker are both gamecube games as heart (even if twilight princess was ported to the wii) and Wind Waker focuses on block colours which still look good, and Twilight Princess focused more on details which just come up blurry on a hdtv. They probably only chose Wind Waker because everyone knows Majoras Mask is coming on 3DS and Twilight Princess you can play on your wiiu using the wii disc and ocarina of time was remade recently. It was a process of elimination. They are obviously trying to make this into the wii u's Ocarina of Time 3D. But there again revisiting Hyrule on 3DS was amazing, and seeing the world and characters remade was a lot better that I was expecting it to be. I will probably get my Wii U around Autumn then.

23. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:16

I wonder; will this game incorporate motion controls like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, or will it stick to button controls like the original Wind Waker?

24. Tailzy Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:52

Looking pretty nice

25. allanironmaiden Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:55

hopefully they can tidy up the collecting the shards mess AND finally include the dungeons that were scrapped from the final game that we all know about and wanted in a ''master quest'' sort of idea on any re release

26. dannyyyy Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:59

Nice, didn't see that coming at all. Hope they add in some additional content, 'cause although I want it I've played WW to death and I don't really want to buy it just because it looks prettier.

Still would of preferred a Majora's Mask remake though.

27. Mew3 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:09

I need a wii u. If they somehow manage to put Linebeck in this, I will buy 2. Anyway: OHMYGODINEEDTHISGAMERIGHTNOW!!! :mrgreen:

28. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:14

If this, the new Mario game, the new Mario Kart game, and the new Smash Bros. game don't sell the Wii U by the bucketload, I don't know what will.

29. Layton link Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:27

Well...I have a genuine reason to buy a WII U now...I mean...I want this...I dont need it..I dont know were iam going to get the money to buy a wii U...but I need this...God ..it looks so so so pretty..

30. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:27

None-specific action figure.

31. liveswired Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:31

I hate Nintendo for finally selling the Wii U to me. GOD DAMN YOU!

I'm also impressed that Nintendo are finally getting in on the act of developing and improving their services. Hopefully this new found approach on Wii U will find its way onto the 3DS. There is so much more they could offer such as a completely revamped eShop similar to Wii U, a better browser and finally some Youtube support.....come on Nintendo!

32. xzeldax Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:40

Like others have said, I would LOVE if they added the extra content taken out of the original game! Would make it much more than a remake - increases game life for newcomers and gives much more incentive for those who played the GC version - still it looks gorgeous! :)

33. Mr Roboto Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:26

I love wind waker but I hope it's going to be priced fairly as I don't want to pay full price for the game twice!

I knew Nintendo would save images of the new Zelda game for E3 to take some of the attention away from PS4 and 720.

34. RealToonLink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:41

Looks great. If they could include the two cut dungeons and trim down the triforce trial, I would be a very happy gamer.

35. Mmmyeah Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:55

This isn't the biggest title the Wii U has coming, thats the amazing thing! We have Pikmin 3 coming out very soon, with a 3D mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart and possibly even details of the new Zelda to come in E3 to come from Nintendo. We then have The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Lego City Undercover, Resident Evil Revelations and Monster Hunter Ultimate (although granted those last two are remakes) to come from third parties.
    Wind Waker is just icing on the cake, and what incredible icing!
    And what a mind-blowing cake!
    A sad state of affairs is a poor choice of words, and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that.

36. NintendoForLife Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:29

As long as it's a physical release I will be happy.

37. concernedcamel Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:59

operation moonfall crashed and burned into termina then? pretty sure windwaker didnt need to be remade...

38. omega pit 626 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:04

Clearly Nintendo hate Majora's Mask, which is in desperate need of a remake unlike WW. Bitterly disappointed.

39. Sex Bob-omb Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:17

But still, TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO.

This

40. jinglepupskye Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:18

I wouldn't be so sure about that - don't forget Nintendo denied any plans to release a 3DS XL only a couple of weeks before it was available in the shops! They've previously said that there would be no remake of either MM or LttP until after the new Zelda game was released. Why? Because the sneaky so and so's had a development team wrapped up in this already! They knew this was coming, but nobody else saw it because of the fan hype over MM and LttP clouding the issue.

I'm really looking forward to this coming out, but I hope to goodness they release it on disc - if I'm going to pay 40 for a game I want the pleasure of holding it in my hand and staring at it lovingly. It just doesn't feel right paying so much for something intangible like digital copies of games.

41. lrwr14 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:19

Been waiting for this since they announced the wii play controls games. Sadly it never happened, now we get a HD remake :D. So happy, Wind Waker is my favourite zelda game. I hope they include the extra content they removed from the original version. Also, 3DS and tingle tuner anyone? Hope they don't use the WiiU pad because the thing that made it good was that not everyone had a cable to connect to the GC, so you couldn't use it.

42. pikachu101 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:44

Finally, knew there would be one, it looks class :D

43. Knightendo Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 23:02

OH COME ON! THIS IS COMPLETE UNADULTERATED WALLET SLAVERY!

wont stop me getting this :D

Hahaa that made me laugh!

Can't wait for this, I cheered when he announced that! Brilliant stuff! WW was my first Zelda and I can't wait to rediscover it. I started playing it again last summer but didn't get too far before life stuff got in the way. I'm glad it did now as I'll now wait and enjoy it afresh. It looks so lush!! :D

44. Medevac Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 23:14

Honestly the best news in 2013 for me! Such an amazing game, remade to fit current graphics is a dream come true and a VERY pleasant surprise! :D

45. Issun2765 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 23:50

I had an interesting thought just now. Sure, it'll be played traditionally in many aspects, but seeing that this is another Toon Link game coming to a platform with a TOUCHSCREEN, you realise that some things might control like phantom hourglass or spirit tracks.

I got an idea for shard hunting or the form of travel. You get to experiene that initial sense of discovery when you find an island and after repeated visits, you have the option to plot your path there. Make travelling that slight bit easier (and sudden stop should be implemented for it to work).

Still excited.

46. cheatmaster30 Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 00:37

If they add the cut dungeons and features from the beta version of the original game, as long as maybe a Master Quest mode, then this will be one hell of a fantastic remake and I'll buy it no questions asked on release day. If not, I'll wait until the price goes down and use my money on other 3DS and Wii U titles.

47. tobes325 Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:17

Favourite Zelda title incoming in HD!?
    Excited would be an understatement!

48. AaronMclaren Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:33

Nobody was expecting this, and there's a reason for that. It's just not really needed. It simply could've been used by Nintendo as a flagship GC title for the virtual console (if GC games are even going to appear on it, that is). However! As I never got round to getting this game anywhere near finished back in the day, I'll be investing in it :) I just hope Nintendo don't make this HD upgrade thing a trend for all of their franchises and that this is either a one off, or it is few and far between :)

49. Knightendo Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:20

Judging by the overwhelming majority here, it is needed/wanted. :D

50. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:29

Always wanted to play this,but never did,super excited for this.
    Thank you Nintendo.

51. toffeeman30 Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:53

why wait till autumn 2013 when you can play it now. well i can, and lots of other people. way too many remakes lately.

52. Spyrolad Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 18:28

Hmm, not sure about this one.
    The art style of Wind Waker is so good that I don't think improving the graphics will actually make the game look any better.

53. Chewie Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 21:52

I was really excited about this yesterday, and I still am. Having thought about it though, it does seem odd to re-release the one Zelda game that still looks amazing today. Why not Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess?

54. Darkblizz Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 02:01

I've got no excuse not to own a WiiU now.

55. lol95 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 20:56

Give me some awesome new games to play around the same time as this is released and I'll have to buy a Wii U.

56. EtherealWings Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 15:33

Although WW remains my favourite Zelda on any format, this seems like overkill. It looked better than many GC games regardless (those GC comparison screenshots look like they've been toned down, if anyone else feels like a trip to Google for a quick comparison).
    Excellent though the original is, i can't imagine forking over 40+ to play it again without any significant changes, especially when the original could have been released via VC, or even ported to 3DS for a fraction of the price. It's likely that WW will at some stage be released as a download for Wii U anyway,so unless anyone is in a particular hurry or further additions are made i fail to see the benefit of this. Meanwhile the 3DS is still without an original Zelda two years down the line (enjoyable as OoT was), with the DS offerings being a waste of time, to put it politely.
    As an aside, i'd be interested to know how a HD redesign of (cell-shaded) WW came about as a result of the development process for the new Wii U game, with no mention made of control or gameplay changes for the former.

57. Knightendo Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 22:58

I don't understand the negativity, even if it is in the minority. This isn't going to impact on the timescale of the Wii U's own original Zelda, and in the meantime they're redoing an excellent Zelda to fill the gap.

To the naysayers, if you don't like the idea of a remake you don't have to buy it, but I'd understand your negativity more if it was impacting on new Zelda U, but it's not.

I for one shall be buying this on day of release :D

58. kevws77 Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 14:48

Without a doubt my favourite Zelda of all time and I absolutely loved the Cel Shaded graphics. It is still one of the most beautiful games I have ever played but looks even more so in HD. Whether that will be quite enough for me to get it is another story.