Mario Kart Wii U in the works

Nintendo working on the next instalment of the racing game

Nintendo have confirmed that they are working on Mario Kart Wii U. Satoru Iwata confirmed that the game, the eighth (not including arcade versions) in the series is on its way to Nintendo's new console.

However, Satoru Iwata didn't reveal any more details about the game, simply saying that you can expect to see more of Mario Kart Wii U at E3 2013 which begins on 11 June.

Back in 2011, Mario Kart producer Hideki Konno said that fans should expect Mario Kart Wii U to "use the console's unique functions."

As well as showing off Mario Kart Wii U at E3, Nintendo plan to showcase a new 3D Mario game from the developers of Mario Galaxy.

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:03

looking forward to seeing it

2. KH81314 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:05

I didn't enjoy Mario Kart 7 as much as I did for the Wii. I enjoyed playing Mario Kart with my family instead of just strangers.

3. KoreeluStromboli Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:07

That's cool to hear! ^^

Here's characters that I want to see as playable characters in Mario Kart Wii U: Pianta, (maybe) Noki, Kamek/Magikoopa and (maybe) a Hammer Bro. or a Chargin' Chuck.

Retro tracks I want to see: One of the two Wuhu Loops (3DS), Melody Motorway (3DS), Cheese Land (GBA), Lakeside Park (GBA) and (maybe) Ribbon Road (GBA).

4. Jarmez Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:41

A new Mario Kart, new 3D Super Mario, and new Zelda were inevitable. I'm looking forward to what things that Mario Kart 8/U will bring to the series.

5. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:00

This is looking to be one hell of an E3 show after 2012's disappointing one!

6. CDS Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:06

I don't have a WiiU, but I'll certainly be looking at Nintendo in E3 to see what they can devliver with these announced games.
    That will make me decide.

But hey. New Mario Kart. I absolutely cannot wait.

7. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:10

Nintendo need to have a large character roster for this game, as there just weren't enough to choose from in MK7. But to make this worthwhile, character specific items need to return.
    What could the game pad be used for, though? I think it should show a map, and a new item could allow you to place bananas or green shells anywhere on the track using the touchscreen! Just my thought, though. :D

8. TheNUKEnukeM Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:17

Is it just me or is anyone slightly disappointed after today. Its just my life seems to be on a cycle, going around in circles. Every 6 or 7 years I buy a new console, slightly better than the last one with a new idea, we then get new super mario bros, a 3d mario, a zelda game and a mario kart game and a few surprises along the way, then we start again. I just feel they are only making this because they feel they have to make a new mario kart rather than they have a brilliant that idea for a new mario kart. Im sorry, im not gonna lie. I love nintendo, really. I am gonna be playing games probably until I die and I didnt mean to sound cynical.

Edit-- I also forgot to mention Yarn Yoshi. Thats new :P

9. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:29

Finally some news on MK8! I really can't wait for this one. I hope it's more like the Wii one than MK7 and I want custom tracks!

10. CDS Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:45

Can't wait for the Classic Track predictions for this one.
    But I'd still much rather have six cups for each type . This gives more opportunities then for classic tracks, as well as the modern ones. But even if not, at least bring back the All-Star Cup for both cup types.

11. Dougtendo Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:37

The controller seems perfect for this game, and off screen play will be great

12. RealToonLink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:50

Mario Kart is cool but hearing about a F-Zero would have been even cooler.

13. pikachu101 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:48

as much as i love the past mario kart games, its time for a twist, something to make it even more amazing :D

14. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:04

I think the most exciting bit about this announcement was that it'll be at E3 in playable form.

15. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:26

It'll be interesting to see what it'll be like,hopefully Nintendo will bring back the mission mode that was in Mario Kart DS.