Zelda Wii U to rethink conventions of Zelda - will it be multiplayer?

Aonuma drops hints about all-new Zelda Wii U game

Eiji Aonuma has once again promised that the new Zelda Wii U game will rethink the conventions of Zelda.

Back in December 2011, Aonuma said that the new Zelda Wii U game would challenge conventions and he reiterated this mission statement during Nintendo Direct this afternoon.

Before announcing Zelda: Wind Waker Wii U, Aonuma said: "Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to re-think the conventions of Zelda. I'm referring to the expectation that the player is supposed to complete dungeons in a certain order, or that you're supposed to play by yourself. The things we've come to take for granted recently.

"We want to set aside these conventions, get back to basics and create a newborn Zelda so that the players can best enjoy the real essence of the franchise."

He admitted that Nintendo hadn't managed to achieve this goal with Skyward Sword. "We had actually worked on this kind of challenge with Skyward Sword, but we weren't able to put effort into changing the linear path structure of the game."

Aonuma added: "I hope to be able to talk to you in more detail about how it will change after I see it come together a bit more."

So what do you think the new Zelda Wii U game will be like?

Comments

1. anthromousiki Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:58

Yay, yet another game with multiplayer content that I wont be able to see because I don't have anyone to play with....

2. KH81314 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:04

Just played Wind Waker recently. Why couldn't i wait just a little bit longer.

3. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:05

so thats 2 new zelda games and a remake in the works

im excited to say the least

4. barrybarryk Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:07

Um yeah that sounds awful, I love my Zelda games because of the dense story and excellent pacing which is generally lost completely in open world games. Not to mention progressing through the game in order to get the right items to solve certain puzzles and open passages is the series core mechanic, if it's dropped then it's just another RPG. I'd also prefer my Zelda games to stay single player epics, not everything needs turning into a multiplayer game, I just hope it isn't some mandatory 'puzzles for two or more people' nonsense.

5. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:00

I have to say, I agree.
    But I think it is a little to early to judge it yet, and we don't know exactly what is being changed, but I imagine that Nintendo know what they are doing.

6. MummifiedCoconut Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:09

I think it should only be drop in or out type of multi-player one that can add to the experience but doesn't need another player to finish and enjoy the game. Like Four Swords Adventures, Dragon Quest 9 and the Lego series of games. How I would like it to work would be similar to Wind Waker Dungeons where you have to work with Medli and Makar within the dungeons, but for the whole game instead. If you are playing alone your partner is AI controlled (with an option for directions) but can be controlled by another player for a team up. It would be pretty cool for example if Link and Zelda work together for the whole game and not in ghostly fashion like Spirit Tracks, Link has the physical abilities while Zelda has the magic, both needed for certain puzzles and battles etc.

7. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:36

This interests me as I feel the LoZ series could do with multiplayer like there was in Four Swords (happy memories of playing it on the bus on my 3DS with friends, half of which had DSs) - a local multiplayer 3DS Zelda game would be excellent, but a HD Wii U one with open world elements also excites me.

8. Riverlution Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:21

Multi player in a Zelda game doesn't excite me. If its an after thought, then fine, but don't let it detract from the game. I agree with an open, less linear style, but who wants Zelda to become a family game? -__-

9. Mello Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:25

Edit - multiplayer doesn't need to mean family friendly, I never played it very thoroughly myself but Four Swords was pretty popular if I remember correctly and that one was pretty much purely made for multiplayer wasn't it? I'd imagine it'll be a lot more optional, but not an afterthought...

Zelda games have dense stories? Which ones? I've played most of them and I don't remember anything so deep that you couldn't make it open world...

Personally I'm not particularly excited by multiplayer though if one of my mates actually ends up getting a Wii U (just me at the moment) I'd probably give it a go, but the open world thing seems to be the first genuinely exciting new addition for the series (rather than just being 'a new Zelda is coming) in a long time for me. It'd feel more like a real adventure with real exploration, the in-game world would feel less like a (admittedly pretty big) playpen with restrictions applying to loads of areas.

Although I've played nearly all of them, I've never completed a Zelda game due to the way the games run. Is it Twilight Princess that pretty much just ends with a bunch of dungeons in a row? That (and Links Awakening) were the closest I came to finishing a game in the series but when I was told TP was just dungeons from there on out (when my tolerance was wearing a bit thin by that point) I just lost interest. :P The closest I got to beating Links Awakening (I've played it a few times but always eventually lose interest) OOT 3D arrived, and I never continued it. :D

Allviewsareimoimoimoandapplytomytastesprobablynotyourspleasedon'tkillmeokthankscya. :)

10. TheRexFactor Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:36

Decidedly uninterested in multiplayer, I hope they steer well clear of that unneeded addition (if it was online, maybe, but this is Nintendo we're talking about)

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing what they come up with

11. Mr Roboto Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:45

Just played Wind Waker recently. Why couldn't i wait just a little bit longer.

It will be worth playing again as it does look soooo good!

I completed it 5 times on Game Cube it's fantastic in my opinion!

Can't wait for the new Zelda game!

12. RealToonLink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:49

Interesting stuff.

13. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:23

I think that this "multiplayer" thing has got a bit out of hand. Aonuma never actually said that it'd be multiplayer, just that they will be challanging the convention of "playing by yourself".
    To me, all that says is enhanced Miiverse support. I could be wrong, but it's possible that is what he meant.

14. Peg Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:09

To cut a long story short: I'm not a multiplayer. But I guess that only a part of the game and not the game itself (that would be awfull!) would be multiplayer, so I don't really mind. So long no LoZ-game ever disappointed me and therefore I'm looking forward to the Wii U title.

15. ZodiacXYZ Saturday 26th Jan 2013 at 12:26

I can see what he means when referring to Skyward Sword. Solving the puzzles in the overworld before even reaching the dungeon felt like blending the new town -> dungeon -> new town -> dungeon conventions that we've "taken for granted" so far, but it still was quite linear. I'd like to see how they push it further.