Yarn Yoshi announced for Wii U - first screenshots

See Yoshi's first console game since 1998

Nintendo announced a new Yoshi game for Wii U during Nintendo Direct. Provisionally titled Yarn Yoshi, it is a platformer from the same studio that brought us the wonderful Kirby's Epic Yarn for Wii.

Despite this, it will be oversen by Takashi Tezuka, director of Yoshi's Island and N64's 1998 game Yoshi's Story which was the last Yoshi game on a Nintendo home console.

Like Kirby's Epic Yarn, the game is set in a fanciful world of yarn and textiles. Here are some gorgeous new screenshots.

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:59

it looks awesome

2. KH81314 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:00

Kirbys epic yarn was a good game and i really enoyed the way everything was made of yarn or some sort of material. I am definetly picking up thid game.

3. Pyron12 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:11

I like the idea but lets hope it isn't as bad as Yoshi's Story.

4. KoreeluStromboli Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:12

Woohoo! It's about time that a new Yoshi game has arrived! :D It looks pretty cool. ^^

5. torterratrainer Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:40

although the design is wonderful and the worlds vibrant, I cant help thinking that it looks too similar to epic yarn. notice the yoshi's foot and how it is slightly block-y and the yarn texture seems pasted on. i hope nintendo develops this much further.

6. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:00

It looks like an amazing mash-up of Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epicc Yarn!
    I'll admit that while I love Kirby games I didn't play Epic Yarn. As beatuiful as the artstyle was I couldn't get past the faact that You were playing an outline of pastel pink merging with lot's up other outlines of pastel colours. My eyes couldn't keep up with which outline was Kirby and which was an enemie or environmental piece.

The fact that Yoshi is a solid piece of knit-work has delighted me to no end! I loved playing Yoshi's Story when I was 10, and when I've replayed it since I always notice how lovely the artwork was with mixtures of patchwork cloth, cardboard cutouts and collages, and wooden blocks. My favourite levels were always the patchwork ones, so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

7. MummifiedCoconut Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:15

It is so adorable. I want a knitted Yoshi plush to cuddle. :oops:

8. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:21

This better come to 3DS too or I'll be really annoyed.

9. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:39

Never played Epic Yarn, but I still like the look of this. The style reminds me of Little Big Planet and Nintendo Land attractions. Lovely.

10. shadowlugia101 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:45

this game looks amazing! i like the screen shot of the level made out of cushions by a window sill. i think that this is defiantly the wii u game to watch over the next year, it can't come soon enough to be added to my library of wii u games

11. smash-brother Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:03

This better come to 3DS too or I'll be really annoyed.

sorry to dissapoint but ninty teand not to port their games :D

this looks ace now, i can only dream how it looks in the end

12. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:32

Yoshi is more recognisable to today's audience than kirby, so sticking him into this game was a wise move.

13. Layton link Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:35

The whole Yarn work thing that nintendo has been doing certainly looks nice...but i feel like its losing its charm and originality a little.Not that this dosnt look good,the fact that yoshi is going back into the limelight(ah haaa...cause..the colour..nevermind..)Is always a brilliant thing,as hes a character that nintendo dont use a lot,and his games normally turn out great.So even if iam not too massivly into the whole yarn work thing,I still think it will fit yoshi quite well and this game certain is a reason for me to buy a wii U

14. Dougtendo Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:41

I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn and if this game is more difficult, it will be a massive improvement

15. Riverlution Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:23

I don't know... I don't particularly like the style :(

I hope its a great game though, and not at all like Kirby's Epic yarn :/

That said, I'm still excited

16. RealToonLink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:40

Very nice.

17. Mr Roboto Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:41

This does look very good I have to say!

18. Mello Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:43

I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Yoshi's Island game on GBA, either in terms of art style and also just the game itself, but this looks really nice and hopefully will be a bit different.

19. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:20

It looks adorable.

20. Capt_Anders Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 11:11

I cant wait

21. HaydnRhys Sunday 27th Jan 2013 at 07:44

2013 is shaping up to be a big year.