Mario Galaxy developers working on new 3D Mario game for Wii U

All will be revealed at E3 2013

The new 3D Mario game that's coming to Wii U will be developed by Nintendo EAD Tokyo, the same studio that produced Super Mario Galaxy for Wii and Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS.

Super Mario Galaxy is regarded by many to be the best Mario game ever so it's great news that the same team will be working on the first 3D Mario adventure.

Nintendo revealed the news during Nintendo Direct, adding that you can expect to see more of the game at E3 2013 which begins on 11 June. With the first Smash Bros Wii U screenshots and Mario Kart Wii U set to be revealed at E3 2013, it's going to be an amazing show for Nintendo fans.

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:26

looking forward to this greatly

2. deKay Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:32

It's going to take some doing to top NSMBU! I'm sure it'll be great, though - main-series Mario games are never poor.

3. super yoshifan Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:47

Glad that they're giving the 2D a break - should be interesting.

4. KH81314 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:51

I enjoy 3D mario more 2D mario and I think that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the Best Wii Game and one the best games ever.

5. deKay Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 16:56

I concluded that NSMBU is the second best game ever made.

Mario 64 used to be, in my eyes, but NSMBU edges it.

Still loved Galaxy 1 and 2, and Sunshine, but this needs to be REALLY special to beat NSMBU!

6. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:58

Right, where's my wallet?

7. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:13

Awesome. With the best Mario game to date being SMG2 (that reminds me, I need to finish NSMBU sometime), this game will hopefully beat that game to the title of best main series Mario game.

8. Dougtendo Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:46

I don't want this to be a Mario Galaxy sequel, I want the Wii U to have its own special Mario game. Excited for what will make this unique, and the excitement of the anticipation as well!

9. RealToonLink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:35

Given the fact that its only been a year since Super Mario 3D Land, I hope the game isn't being rushed.

10. Mr Roboto Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:39

This is going to help Wii U sales big time when it gets released.

11. deKay Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:56

It might be two years before it's out yet! And it may have been in development for 5 years already for all we know.

12. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:42

I can't wait to see what they come up with. Super Mario 64 is still my personal favourite 3D Mario game, so I'm personally wishing that it'll be more like that. In fact, I made a post about what I'd like to see in a new 3D Mario game, which I'll re-post here if you don't mind:

I can see a lot of potential for a platforamer that switches the action between the TV and the GamePad screen.
    Taking the example of Mario game where going down a pipe on the TV takes you to an Underground stage that plays out on the GamePad.
    Alternatively, imagine a game where at first, nothing (or something very basic) is shown on the TV screen and you play the game on the GamePad in a Hub World, like Peach's Castle in SM64 for example. Then, only when you jump into a portal to gain access to level (like the paintings) all the action switches to the TV where this giant world unfolds. That would be a rather magical moment.

13. AaronMclaren Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 12:48

Very excited to hear this. The 3D Mario games have been my favourite Mario's since 64, I just hope it's not another Galaxy-esque game. It can re-use some of the incredible ideas and all that, but some other completely unique environment or returning to the series 3D beginnings would be awesome. Even a hint of story a la Galaxy would go down very well too :)

14. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:17

Very good news,I wouldn't mind a Galaxy threequel,but it'll be nice if it was something new.