Nintendo Direct showcased a bright future for Wii U

ONM Editor-In-Chief Chandra Nair delivers his verdict on today's show

Nobody but Nintendo can do what Nintendo did today. Out of nowhere Nintendo has announced two Zelda games, a new Mario Kart, a new 3D Mario game, a new Monolith adventure and an top-end RPG mashup from Atlus and Intelligent Systems. Who else could bring you that? Nobody.

Sure, it does whiff a bit of a company that has felt pressured to say something ahead of E3 but this is exactly what we've all be screaming for.

We all knew that Nintendo would have a 3D Mario and a Mario Kart in the works but without the official announcement the whole world whinges and whines that the Wii U has no games coming out.

Well... now it's official. From March onwards the Wii U is brimming with great games.

LEGO City: Undercover, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, Rayman Legends, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Disney Infinity, Resident Evil Revelations, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101... and then we're into June and the E3 showcase of Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Yoshi Yarn, Wind Waker, New Zelda... the list just goes on and on.

If that list doesn't excite you then you're obviously not a fan of Nintendo games. Jeez, if this lot doesn't excite you I feel sorry for you.

Comments

1. TheSlenderman Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:30

This lot does excite me. :mrgreen:

2. PeterR Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:35

pity me not for i have excitement!

3. CDS Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:35

Mario Kart! Yes!
    And all of other games are also great. Whether I get any but Mario Kart though is another story.
    At E3, all will be revealed.

4. thecoolmana777 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:36

Nintendo - Shut up and take my money, there is not one thing that they announced today that I am not looking forward to, I just can't wait for E3 news!!!

5. KH81314 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:39

This is probably the best Nintendo Direct ever.

6. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:43

Well, Nintendo have surprised me not once, but twice in the last month! This is awesome news, looks like I need to invest in a Wii U!

Kinda sad though, since I have no Nintendo-loving friends with whom I can discuss these announcements... :(

7. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 17:50

Ahhh Nintendo...wait until the doubts start to creep in then blow us away with a massive lineup of great looking games. You can be annoyingly stupid looking at times, then just...wow.

8. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:12

there's plenty coming out to make me happy

9. Da_Epic_Fail Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 18:38

When Nintendo delivers, they deliver in style. Wind Waker HD, SMT vs FE and the next Xeno title. Year is sorted. :)

10. bigterence Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:19

Just dowloaded The Cave.Now off to arrange a bank loan to finance 2013 WIIU purchases.

11. Riverlution Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:27

Where's my Starfox?!

12. RealToonLink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:30

Exciting stuff. I will definitely try and pick up a Wii U this year. Now all we need is a little Starfox and F-Zero love.

13. King Slazo Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:32

Hmmmm. Torn on this.

On the one hand, you had some great announcements there. Shin Megami Tensai meets Fire Emblem should be cool. Wonderful 101 keeps looking better each time I see it. Monolith's game looks to be a potential system seller.

But on the flipside, a lot of that was just name dropping. We knew there'd be new Smash Bros, 3D Mario and Mario Kart games, as Iwata said. WindWaker HD is alright, although I want to see it in motion, as those screenshots seemed to lose some of the charm the Gamecube classic showcased. We saw nothing new of Bayonetta 2, SMTxFE was just an announcement, Yoshi's Yarn was a few seconds of footage (if they've released full trailers outside of this, do let me know).

And then the Virtual Console schenanigans. Ahaha. You want me to buy stuff I already own and transferred over again, you want to "reset" the Virtual Console so you can do your weekly release strategy all over again for some reason, and you want to charge people for rentals of decades old games? Disgraceful.

Still, it did a good job of building up for E3. Much like E3 2011 was what sold me on getting a 3DS, it seems E3 2013 will sell me on getting a Wii-U. Time shall tell.

14. Mr Roboto Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:36

Lack of sales have forced Nintendo to break this news early before E3 but are saving the footage for the big event.

At last the Wii U needed this good news, though I think not having a AAA launch from Nintendo was a mistake.

Bring on wind waker but a sensible price!

15. K-tet Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 19:41

My tuppence: http://pastebin.com/tK9YLww1

Upon reflection, I think it's a fair assessment.

16. Mmmyeah Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:10

pity me not for i have excitement!

Took me a little while to realise what you were saying there! But yeah, me too.

The Wii U and 3DS both have incredibly bright futures, brighter than any I can remember for any console. They have so many first party games on the way, and they both have strong third party involvement. I am very excited, Its times like these I wish I had a little more money though...

17. Trilink Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:30

I may as well as well declare im officially going to be broke once i get my WiiU and by the time Pikmin 3, Wondeful 101, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD, comes out. Thats not even including the other stuff they announced today!

18. Mello Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:34

The pre-E3 stuff doesn't really excite me (apart from Rayman Legends which looks fantastic, especially after playing the demo) as judging from my time with the PSP games I'm not into Monster Hunter (hate the combat), already got 3DS Resi:R and I don't like the structure of how Pikmin works. Wonderful 101 is interesting to me to be fair as well.

I can kind of live with that though given there is a fair amount of 3DS stuff out this year (and Persona 4 Golden on Vita) that I want in the meantime. Plus I'm still on my much needed rest from Zelda games (I need to space them out personally) so I've still not started on Skyward Sword. :P

A lot of the stuff announced today however, does excite me. While it was nice to hear when we might find out details of the biggest Nintendo games, a couple of hints about the newest Zelda, the Wind Waker remake, the Yoshi game, the Virtual Console rebuy-all-your-games situation not being quite as miserable and costly as I'd expected (though it should have been free) and most significantly, SMT x Fire Emblem were all great to hear.

19. That Guy Ganon Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 20:48

Very excited to hear about what's to come... I mean I think everybody was aware that there would be a Mario kart, Mario platformer and a new Zelda coming to the Wii U, but its nice to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.
    What I am really looking forward to though, is Wind Waker HD and Monolith RPG.
    Hopefully Nintendo won't do what they did with Skyward Sword, Mario Land and Mario Kart and release a load of titles in the same month, otherwise I'll be forced to live off just bread for ages in order to pay for it all!

20. CyberGW Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:11

Although most of it was announcements of announcements (sounds weird but it's true) Nintendo Direct has bern brilliant! All the new amazing games, and the big one, Wind Waker HD. I am so excited for the new crisp 1080p cartoon art style, especially since I've never played the original!

21. dap005 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:18

Suffice to say my wish list just expanded again and it was already very big....

22. ninjafox Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:19

Since getting my Wii U and enjoying the launch window titles, not knowing what was coming in the majority of 2013 left me a little uncertain what the future held for my new console.

But after todays Nintendo Direct the future for Wii U seems very bright indeed!
    Finally getting a release date for Lego City Undercover was a nice start before having the confirmation that the Mario Kart and Galaxy teams are indded working on new titles. The wonderful 101 keeps getting better in each trailer and the fact we are getting a Wind Waker remake is simply fantastic.
    Not to mention all the other exciting and unique looking games that were announced.

This Nintendo Direct has reminded me why it is so great to be a Nintendo fan.

23. starwarriorsam Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 21:48

There are some good games here, the only complaints i have is that Japan are getting EarthBound/Mother 2 on Wii U VC on 20th March and no mention of an international release yet, despite Shigesato Itoi and Nintendo learning in recent times of the western fan base it has and also there was no Kirby or Star Fox games. Id like to see Mother 3 get a western release on Wii U VC since there gonna have GBA games.

24. Mello Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 22:01

I'm not entirely familiar with the licensing issues that prevent the games from being released over here, isn't it to do with the music being dangerously close to ripping off songs by famous rock bands or something? Seems weird that it wouldn't be a problem over in Japan but it is here.

I have all 3 games ready to play in unfortunately-unpaid-for-form but I've not got round to playing them yet. Would of course love to buy them and be able to play them on the gamepad, which seems a perfect sized device to play retro games on based on my quick go on Balloon Fight earlier on.

25. wiill 64 Wednesday 23rd Jan 2013 at 22:52

Wind Waker HD has now justified my Wii U purchase. Can't wait to play my favourite Zelda game in HD.
    Also looking forward to the Fire Emblem crossover game and Yoshi Yarn, while Monoliths new game looked interesting, maybe a Xenoblade sequel perhaps?
    Everything else we kinda knew was going to be announced sooner or later anyway (Mario Kart, 3D Mario, new Zelda).
    Still one thing missing though - F-Zero :(

26. cheatmaster30 Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 00:39

The Wii U already had a bright future before, but the mere existance of a Mario Kart Wii U, a 3D Mario game and a new Zelda game for the system now guarantees its success for years to come.

27. Shinnos Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 02:00

I really hope that with Wind Waker HD they lose the Triforce Hunt at the end of the game and include the two dungeons that were scrapped from the original game because of time constraints! If they do that, I'll definitely buy it!

Yoshi's Yarn was a surprise, but it looks SO similar to Kirby's Epic Yarn! I guess these are early shots, so hopefully the finished game will manage to develop it's own feel.

Was a bit confused about the Virtual Console news regarding the 30 games for 30 pence thing. Will these be complete games, or just trial versions?

28. GdiddyN Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 02:02

One can only fantasize as to what the stunning HD visuals of the Wii U will have to offer with both a brand new 3D Mario Game and a new Mario Kart... *drools*
    The new Yoshi Yarn game looks amazing, Yoshi looks as though he will be getting a triumphant return on Wii U.

And the last thing, Wind Waker HD? Can. Not. Wait. I think it's safe to say that this year's E3 will be lightyears ahead of last year's utter, utter disappointment fest, seriously, the only real good game announced at last year's E3 was Pikmin 3 and that's only because of the high anticipation.

Roll on June! :D :D :D :D :D :D

29. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 13:11

That Nintendo Direct made me happy that I'm a owner of a Wii U.

30. mrmariomaster Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 16:03

31. K-tet Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 16:10

I believe they're full games. Nintendo are just 'trialling' Wii U's Virtual Console. 30p a game is worth it, although I don't think there are 30 games, just six, with each available until the end of each month until July.

I still find it quite stupid that the entire back-catalogue of Virtual Console games aren't available, but seeing how the download size for Balloon Fight is 35MB (for a game I suspect is no bigger than 128K), you can make your own mind up about it.

The only downfall is you're stuck with a game that runs only in 50Hz. Again, you can make your own mind up about it.

32. Spyrolad Thursday 24th Jan 2013 at 18:49

F-Zero, Balloon fight AND super metroid for 90p? Yes please!
    My body is ready for the ultimate Miiverse Balloon fight highscore competition!