Smash Bros 3DS to be showcased at E3 2013 alongside Wii U version

Sakurai wants to show off both versions

Masahiro Sakurai has said that he wants to show off Smash Bros 3DS as well as Smash Bros Wii U at E3 2013.

Satoru Iwata announced that the first Smash Bros Wii U screenshots would be revealed at E3 in June this year but now Sakurai, the creator of the Nintendo's fighting series, has tweeted that he wants to showcase the handheld version of the game as well.

Little is known about Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS but Sakurai has said that that the key to the games will be the link between the pair.

Back in April 2012, Sakurai said: "I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it."

Comments

1. GdiddyN Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 09:06

Please, please, pleaseeeee be footage.

My predictions? I'm guessing the official name of the new Smash Bros. will be announced, along with the logo, and I'm expecting some revelations on the roster.

I'm certain that the Wii U version's graphics will be lightyears ahead of the 3DS' so not to bothered about the 3DS version to be perfectly honest. :|

ROLL ON JUNE!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. KH81314 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 09:38

Please, please, pleaseeeee be footage.

ROLL ON JUNE!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I agree with your predictions but I might get both versions if they do something gray with both of them but for now I'm just going to get the Wii U version.

3. shy guy 64 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 10:28

awesome, june cant come soon enough

4. martynm Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 10:30

i'm glad he's going to show off the 3DS version. I doubt i'll be able to afford a Wii U anytime soon so i'm glad he's showing that off. i'm really interested as to hiow Sakurai will make it work on the platform..

5. legend1992 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 11:53

Nice to know we can expect to look at the 3DS version as well - it's going to be a while before I can afford to buy the Wii U, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Sakurai and his team will do for Smash Bros. in 3D

6. SmashBro2712 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 12:04

Nice, this is gonna be a big thing at E3 for Ninty and Sony & MS are gonna have a hard time topping it! But that "something that uses that link as the game's central axis" quote gives me a feeling that there's a tiny chance that basing the game on connecting 2 consoles will make it gimmicky and a bit poor (remember Pokemon Battle Revolution) I doubt that will happen but if they move the whole game away from what every other Smash bros has been about then, we might be in trouble. Like I said I doubt that will happen and I'm really looking forward to E3 and this game.

7. imbusydoctorwho Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 12:27

Bring on E3 then.

8. MartinIsAwesome Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 13:26

I can't even begin to image how this link is going to work. I don't mind not seeing it at E3, I'd rather have closure on this mystery.

9. Mew3 Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 15:36

Bring on June! :D

10. LOZanges Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 15:48

I'm both exited and a little nervous for E3 now. I want good news but then, what if the roster and features are rubbish? Basically, I don't like the idea of the link between both versions. Argh, paranoia!!!

11. epiclink Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 16:28

Can't wait till June! :D

12. thenintendoer Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 17:24

a trailer would be nice :)

13. Bigtime Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 18:29

June can't come quick enough...

14. Riverlution Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 21:44

This E3 will be HUGE. New consoles from the rivals, but I'm still most looking forward to the Nintendo stuff.

I feel like we've just had a mini E3 this week with all those announcements of new games anyway. I'm still hoping they have a couple more Wii U games under wraps (please be working on a starfox game!!!), and we know literally nothing about 3DS other than Pokemon! Pretty much every game we've got coming in the next few months from Nintendo is already out in Japan (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing etc) and we know NOTHING else about whats coming. I expect Mario will have another sports game announced for 3DS, but apart from that it could be anything. Something different from the stuff being worked on for Wii U hopefully - a handheld, 2.5D Metroid (or even something like Other M), or maybe a new Donkey Kong game like the one on N64.

I think they need some new IPs too.

But yeah, Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U may have footage, but I doubt anything will be playable, and I doubt we'll have many announcements for which characters will and won't make the cut (other than the obvious Mario, Link, Kirby, Starfox, Pikachu etc). We might see a new gameplay mechanic, or item (like the Smash Ball was in Brawl) but they'll likely keep all the new characters hidden for quite a while yet.

15. Hams96 Saturday 26th Jan 2013 at 05:19

3DS version first, then the Wii U version when I can actually afford the console

16. Rainbow Shifter Saturday 26th Jan 2013 at 09:39

I hope it's not one of those handheld games which are so not as good as the home console one (example: Mario and Sonic at the Oympic Games).

17. Pyron12 Saturday 26th Jan 2013 at 10:02

People will think about how either Sony or Microsoft will win E3.
    I, however, disagree. Nintendo will crush the competition with Smash Bros U/3D alone.

18. HarryOwnage18 Sunday 27th Jan 2013 at 13:53

Cant wait for this game. Namco Bandai could do a really good job and add some characters to the roster like Jin from Tekken and Pac-man! I'm getting the Wii U and 3DS version!

19. VinceLovesToast Sunday 27th Jan 2013 at 14:03

The names will probably be Smash bros U and smash bros 3d/3ds though I may be wrong!

20. VinceLovesToast Sunday 27th Jan 2013 at 14:06

People will think about how either Sony or Microsoft will win E3.

I agree but rumours are going around that a new xbox will be released at the end of this year, but nintendo will defenitely steal the show if those rumours are false!

21. Tazer_Silverscar Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:46

Just please, no Heihachi. It's boring that he gets everywhere when the rest of the Tekken roster doesn't.

22. smash-brother Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 19:00

i would be fine if he just said that layton is in it

ps people stop saying things like "e3 can't come soon enoth" it is just annoying

23. killganon Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 19:50

there is one chracter i would love to see in this game duke nukem his finising move could be the mighty boot where he kicks the opponents head between two goal posts