eShop games of the week: Zen Pinball 2, Batman: Arkham City

This week's downloads

Zen Pinball 2 is the only new game to be made available to download this week. Set for release on the Wii U eShop, it will be joined by Batman: Arkham City: Armored Edition in Nintendo's digital store and you can also download a 3D video called The Beet Party: Beet Scratch from the 3DS eShop.

The interesting thing about Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U: Zen Studios, free) is that it is actually free to download but you'll have to pay to download the tables which start at £2.39. It is the sequel to the excellent 3DS eShop game Zen Pinball and you can download tables from Marvel Pinball. There's also a Plants Vs Zombies table plus some Zen originals. You can also try out any of the tables before you decide to purchase them and get stuck into tournament play or multiplayer sessions. More tables will be added on a regular basis.

Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition (Wii U: Warner Bros, £49.99 is one of the best Wii U games. The original Asylum has expanded into Gotham's slums and playing as Batman, you have plenty of gadgets on your GamePad which you can use to get around the city and take out enemies. This was a Wii U launch game.

Finally, we have The Beet Party: Beet Scratch is the first in a series of 3D short videos available for download on the eShop. The two-minute videos are aimed at four to six year olds and follow the adventures of the five coolest beets around as they explore, experiment, celebrate and communicate with beat-boxing sounds when something new arrives in their fridge.

I didn't think you kept beetroot in the fridge...

Anyway, are you going to download any of this week's games? By which I mean are you going to download Zen Pinball 2?

Comments

1. deKay Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 09:55

Well, this explains why Batman dropped to £19 everywhere then :)

Zen Pinball 2 is a fo' sho'.

2. RainbowGazelle Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 10:47

What's the point in downloading Batman for £50 when you can buy a physical copy for £20. When will nintendo get their eshop prices right. I'm certainly not downloading any retail games when I know I can get them for less than half that price.

Also, Zen Pinball 2 looks pretty cool.

3. rachaeln Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 11:26

right this is actually driving me crazy now , where is retro city rampage????!!!!?? they said january and this is the last week in january for releases.

Does ANYONE know when it'll be out?

4. remagpie93 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 12:55

So how long will it be before Nintendo UK sorts out their eShop prices for retail games?? Other than a few stores overcharging on the high street, no WiiU title is sold for more than £40 so the £55 seen on some eShop titles is just robbery o.O

5. ledreppe Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 12:57

If I was good at pinball I'd play it, but I think I'll use this lull in new eShop and retail releases to play the HD remake of Mighty Switch Force on Wii U. Really liked the 3DS version, you can't go wrong with better graphics. Oh, and by the way, you do store beetroot in the fridge.

6. ChipsNGravy Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 13:04

DEFINITELY picking Zen 2 up, Loved the 2 3DS shop entries and this looks cool. Now I know I don't have to fork out one lump sum for tables I'm not going to play it's even better! I can just buy one table at a time, which also means I'm not paying for tables that have been included from the 3DS version. What a great idea. Sold.

7. imbusydoctorwho Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 13:13

Already got Batman and loving it to bits,so I don't think I want another copy.

But I'll be downloading Zen Pinball,looks quite fun.

8. deKay Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 13:15

The MSRP of the games is the same as those in the eShop. They're expensive, but the eShop isn't overcharging.

Many Wii U games are (or were, at least) more than £40. Some have MSRP at £55 - like Zombie U and Assassin's Creed III.

9. toffeeman30 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 13:29

zen pinball 2 as its free

10. deKay Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 13:33

zen pinball 2 as its free

Only if you don't want to play and pinball on it.

11. danbish Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 17:22

£50 for Batman? Hahahaha....not a chance. And I know there's others on their which are the same price or more expensive. I'd buy a digital copy of a game, I have many on Steam, but at those prices - no way. The eShop (as well as XBLive and the PS Store) don't even compete with shops when they start reducing them down - the 3DS eShop and Pilotwings being a prime example, what is it, a tenner now from the shops or £40 still on eShop??

If the pricing strategy changes, I'll look into it a could start buying from it...IF, but I could be holding my breath for a very long time.

12. Herbert_Rarr Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 17:24

More about overpriced eShop games. I just bought Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U for £30 in GAME, so I'm pretty happy with that. The Zen Pinball idea of downloadable tables sounds cool, but is far too expensive. And what is the point in these downloadable videos again...?

13. KH81314 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:25

I recommend that you get Batman. Its a great game.

14. deKay Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 08:03

More about overpriced eShop games.

Once again - they're not overpriced, they're just expensive. Big difference.

15. Tamzily01 Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 10:31

Arkham City for £50 is a bit excessive, even if it does include all the DLC.

16. deKay Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 11:26

Arkham City for £50 is a bit excessive, even if it does include all the DLC.

Yeah. It's only £19 here: http://www.101cd.com/Games/Batman-Arkha ... roduct.htm

17. Rufan Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:20

Can the buyable pinball tables be bought now? if so how do I get them, I downloaded the Zen pinball but it seems to be a demo, when I press the a button to get buyable packs nothing happens? Are the not yet avaliable to be bought or I'm a doing it wrong. :?

18. danbish Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 14:44

Go back to the eShop and select the 'Downloadable or AddOn Content' link (I've forgotten what they're calling it), they're all there. I downloaded the main game last night and the trial versions of a couple of tables but I've not tried it yet.

19. deKay Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 12:53

You have to download the trials, then pay to unlock them.

20. toffeeman30 Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 13:07

just seen a few reviews of zen pinball 2 and very average. alot saying its a bit clunky

21. deKay Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 15:53

They're wrong - it really isn't.