The rights and wrongs of remakes

Following the Wind Waker and Resident Evil Revelations announcements, Chris Rooke asks if remakes are a good idea

Has there ever been a time there have been so many remakes of classic games in the works? In 2011 we had Star Fox 64 3D and Ocarina Of Time 3D but in just 24 hours last week The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker and Resident Evil Revelations were announced for Wii U. Throw in Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate and you've got a trio of remakes coming to Wii U this year.

It's strange. Some fans seem to request remakes and yet when they are announced you get more fans moaning about remakes, complaining that they'd rather play original games. We've seen so many Pokemon fans asking for Pokemon Snap on Wii U or remakes of Ruby and Sapphire.

In the case of Wind Waker, it seems that it is a game designed to keep the fans happy while they wait for the real Zelda Wii U game. It's not as though the remake is being released in place of an original game.

Still, there is a debate to be had over remakes. At what point does a game warrant or deserve a remake? I have a number of reasons why I think a game should, or indeed shouldn't, be remade.

Why games should be remade

1) Improved controls (Ocarina Of Time 3D, Okami)

We're all aware of games that have been let down by clunky or unnatural control schemes. The most famous example of this is probably the original Ocarina of Time: constantly swapping the heavy boots on and off in the Water Temple was an absolute nightmare, and even led to me giving up the entire game in frustration.

Reading back through interviews with Eiji Aonuma, it's something that bugged him for years so you can see why, given the opportunity on 3DS, Nintendo should remake the N64 classic. Not only were they able to improve the visuals but also right the wrongs of the Water Temple. You see, when a developer has an idea for how controls could be improved, there's definitely a strong argument for remaking a game.

Also, newer technology allows for a whole new control scheme to be implemented. Metroid Prime Trilogy is a prime example of this: the Wii Remote offers an excellent control scheme for first person shooters so it's only natural that the developers may want to revisit the game to make use of something that wasn't available at the time of the game's development.

Okami, for example, makes more sense on Wii than it ever did on PS2, thanks to the Wii Remote.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page

Comments

1. longjohndevine Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 13:59

I simply can't believe that someone who gave up on Ocarina of Time is a blogger for ONM.

2. Water Max Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:03

I think the main points of the Sevii Islands were to include Generation II Pokémon which hadn't already been available in Ruby, Sapphire or Colosseum and to foreshadow the remakes of HeartGold and SoulSilver by making a possibility of Silver being Giovanni's son which was eventually confirmed in the Celebi event of HGSS.

3. SilentDark Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:09

Personally I would disagree on the Okami front, while I could see the mindset behind it the execution was poor, having played both version I would say that the PS2 version actually controls better, in part because they have pointless waggle in the combat sections bout the paintbrush was also badly handled. It probably could have been done well but something went wrong somewhere. Personally I have grown to hate endless remakes and reboots. It's as if the only way some people know how to make a series profitable again is either to remake an earlier game with new visuals or whatever or jettison the continuity and start over (but ostensibly with an "edgier" protagonist)

I'm of the opinion that if you have to start resorting to such measures you should probably put the franchise to bed.

4. King Slazo Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:11

I can't believe how many fans that bad game has.

The manga canon covered that many years beforehand...

Anyway, I'm not that fussed by remakes. They're nice enough if you already own the system in question and want a nostalgia rush for cheap, but I would never buy a system specifically to play a game I already own again.

5. Tazer_Silverscar Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:11

Amen to this. Ruby & Sapphire would be oddly placed on the DS, given it's hard to see what more could be added. Sure, they could update the graphics and the controls, but that'd be about it. Mess with it too much, and it's no longer the same game. Admittedly Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver changed the game a lot, but the changes only added to the charm, rather than being intrusive.

6. Birdy1994 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:16

My problem with Wind Waker HD is that judged in isolation it seems worth Ł40 but when HD collections with 3 or 4 games on other systems cost Ł25 it's difficult to justify

7. OrangeRakoon Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 14:48

I can't believe how many fans that bad game has.

You're a funny man

8. WiiDSguy Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 15:02

And also goes onto say how they haven't completed for Wind Waker either.

In response to the Sevii Islands, yeah they weren't amazing and not a feature worth buying the game for, but they did make a lot of Johto Pokemon available to capture, which at the time were impossible to get. Emerald later added the leftover Johto Pokemon in a Safari Zone expansion and the Battle Frontier, so while not an amazing aspect of the game, the Sevii Islands had a purpose.

9. Mello Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 15:15

Agreed, but at least more work will be done on this than most of those collections. Aren't those collections usually just the original games but upscaled (or whatever they do to make it HD...I don't understand that stuff :P)?

I'd be disappointed to have to pay full price though as like you say, improvements or no improvements I've still played this game before and on other consoles you often get the old games bundled together for a pretty low price. I'd like to give it another chance as I lost interest half way through (as I do with most Zelda games to be fair) but perhaps not at Ł40. I'd totally buy it for Ł30 though.

Just my two penneth but I don't think someone needs to have beaten all those Zelda games to blog for ONM. There is more to being interested in Nintendo than just that series, and it's possible to enjoy playing those games without getting all the way to the end.

With most Zelda games I usually start off absolutely loving them then gradually lose interest, then forcing myself to persevere, then "taking a break from the game", then not returning to the game. :D

I'd consider myself a Nintendo fan (though not a fanboy) and yet I've never beaten a Zelda game (though I've played most of them), never beaten a NES Mario game without cheats, not really into Smash Bros that much, or Metroid Prime series for that matter. :D

10. NintendoForLife Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:22

I disagree with your comments on the Super Mario Advance series. Like many people on here I never had a Super Nintendo growing up so the Game Boy Advance was the perfect way to experience Super Mario Bros 2,3 World and Yoshi's Island. Along with Zelda A Link to the Past and the Donkey Kong Country. New games could have been nice but there are enough Mario games that more on the Advance really wouldn't be necessary.

Although I do have a NES and SNES now so my GBA is slightly redundant now. (Except for Golden Sun 1/2 and Mario and Luigi.)

11. PuAl Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:38

Many of the games mentioned are not remakes, just enhanced ports. Rayman 2 - port, RE: Deadly Silence - port, Monster Hunter Ultimate and REvelations WiiU - ports. An article discussing the merits of remakes should really be underpinned by an understanding of what a remake is.

12. sciqueen Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:40

I'm generally against remakes. The time put into them could have been spent on a new game. This is why all the people who want Ruby Sapphire remakes should shut up.

13. ThePokekid78 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:43

:O How dare you insult the Sevii Islands! They were great to explore and capture the Johto Pokemon in!

14. LBDNytetrayn Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:48

Because Zelda's the only Nintendo game there is, right guys? ;P

I actually enjoyed Super Mario 64 DS, once I got used to the controls. Thankfully, the game had been tweaked to accommodate the new controls, so that's a plus-- a lot of developers wouldn't have bothered. Once you get the hang of that, the new stuff more than makes up for it.

That said, I'd love to see a remake of the remake on the Wii U... with a few more stars added, of course.

If we don't count the eReader content for Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Advance was a great remake of Super Mario Bros. 2, making it feel more like a Mario game and mixing things up a bit. It's almost like a second quest (and then some) to the original.

I'm still hoping that Super Mario Sunshine gets the Wind Waker HD treatment as well. Maybe throw in some optional Wii Remote controls for pointer-based aiming, and a few other tweaks-- like making it a little less linear somehow.

15. Xenobladeperson Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:56

Since a lot of people are making this mistake, I'm just going to point out that MH3U is more of an expansion pack than a remake, they've done this with all the titles in the series. And the WiiU version is just a port of the 3DS version, too.

16. theycallmejack Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 16:58

I loved the Sevii Islands! I didn't see them coming at all, up until that point FireRed and LeafGreen were a trip down Memory Lane and then BOOM! Brand new locations! It was awesome! And I think you're wrong about HeartGold and SoulSilver; they weren't remade because the developers wanted to add online features, they were made simply because fans wanted them. The games were sold on nostalgia and brought a lot of people back to the franchise after they'd left it. I doubt Nintendo expected them to have the appeal that they did, but it was no doubt a pleasant surprise!
    Otherwise, I completely agree with everything else you've said here. Nice article. Can't believe you didn't complete either Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker though...

17. Dertdood Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 17:30

Ocarina of Time is pretty dull and changed zelda for the worse (although there has been the odd good zelda since then such as majora's mask)

18. alexjones94 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 17:33

sound affects hadn't been improved.

The pedant in me, is forced to point out that this should be "effects". Sorry. :lol:

19. 3DSRulesO.K Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 17:45

Majoras Mask has the exact same control scheme, the gameplay is almost exactly the same as Ocarina of Time!

20. Dertdood Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 17:53

what no it isnt

it had shared models and controls and thats pretty much where the similarities end

21. Chewie Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:02

I thought they wanted to include the Sevii Isle's in the originals but they didn't have room on the cartridge? Fire Red and Leaf Green were great, the Sevii Isles offered something new to the younger players and something both new and different to the older players that had played Red and Blue to death.

Won't lie, I'm not a fan of these articles, I disagree with too much.

22. Toastie Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:04

what no it isnt

It shared a game engine, so as a result the gameplay is similar. While MM added new gameplay mechanics, the core gameplay didn't change much. The differences you are talking about seem to be more to do with story and atmosphere.

23. Caz14 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:18

Try playing Super Mario 64 DS on the 3DS, works a lot better with the circle pad than it does with the D-Pad or those weird stylus controls.

24. Kirby8 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:22

I think you are somewhat confused. Sure there are some people asking for Pokémon Snap on the Wii U, MANY fans are asking for Pokémon Snap 2 for Wii U or 3DS, aka a SEQUEL...not a remake.
    But yes, there are a lot of people who want R/S/E remakes...I'm not one of those. I like the games, of course, and love the Pokémon series but think it will be overkill and unnecessary. I'd rather they focus all their efforts of Pokémon X and Y.
    Plus, there were a multitude of reasons to remake R/B/Y and G/S/C, but very little reasons to remake R/S/E apart from fans wanting it. Looking at the graphics from Gen I to Gen III, you can see that Gen I and II were ones that needed updating as they are quite out of date. While Gen III graphics may not be as impressive as graphics now, they are decent enough to not need a remake if all they are going to give is updated graphics. While Gen I and Gen II remakes gave a lot more.

Remaking Gen I allowed the generation to gain a lot of features that have been made since the originals. Examples are natures, abilities, genders, hold items, new types (steel for example on Magnemite) and more. They also removed issues from the original (MissingNo anyone?) and added a joke for the truck. Also, you may note that the UK, as far as I am aware, never got Mew for the original Gen I games. The remake was the point when they first gave Europe Mew, allowing us to finish the original Pokédex, something that couldn't really be done in the original. They didn't count Mew to complete the Pokédex, but I'm sure many people did.
    Sevii Islands added a lot more then you state. Firstly, this is the place where you can catch many national dex pokémon. Again, features from Gen II and Gen III were added in this way, such as breeding and Trainer tower (slightly different but same as battle tower). Also, Island 9? It was Deoxys home and they distributed the ticket to go there and catch him. They also added a new part of the team rocket story. And that story leads you to the ability to trade pokémon to Gen III, including Deoxys, allowing to complete the Hoenn Pokédex (as long as they bought Pokémon Channel and got Jirachi) and nearly complete the National Pokédex (bar Celebi of course). Which leads to the actual main reason (IMO) for the remakes of G/S/C.

Just like Mew, we never had a Celebi event in our country. Which meant we missed out on the Celebi time travelling story (although I'm sure all fans knew everything that happened in this story before playing HG/SS...I know I did). HG/SS marked the first time Celebi was distributed in our country. Of course it was distributed for D/P/Pt too, but this way we actually got to play the story behind the event. Also, they did a Jirachi event with the Pokéwalker route, allowing people who didn't buy Pokémon Channel (although I did) to get Jirachi.
    Therefore, putting the remakes together with the non-remakes allowed people to FULLY complete the National Pokédex, which was out of reach before they were made.

Of course fan input had a big factor as they could have just as easily made all the other Pokémon available after completing the main game, and distributed the missing event pokémon on the normal games. But this way, people got to also fully complete the normal (non-national) pokédex on each game and we finally got to play the Celebi story.
    So, IMO, both FR/LG and HG/SS were necessary. R/S/E remakes would be cool, but it's unnecessary. And I'm definitely not one of the people begging for it. I'd rather have Snap 2, Stadium 3 and Colosseum/XD sequel.

25. Buffalo_K Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:33

I can't believe how many fans that bad game has.

Jeez, talk about attention seeking.

26. Smyrlie Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:47

I love remakes, I missed a lot of the great Nintendo games and remakes are a great chance to play them. I always hear about how great zelda MM, OOT, WW etc. were and remakes are a great chance for people like me who missed them the first time to play them.

Also, games like pokemon that I have played are great fun to replay with new features and better graphics. I really hope they do remake ruby and sapphire as they were my favorite games and I'd love to see them in 3D.

If you don't like remakes you don't have to play them and they don't take up that much of the developers' time as they already have the design and layout of the game and can be used like wind waker to fill the time to the new zelda game.

27. Guwuh Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 18:58

I can't believe how many fans that bad game has.

typical Pokémon DP fan

28. abovethewell Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 19:29

Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen were not pointless remakes- The Sevii isles were brilliant, as they made catching Moltres much more interesting, added Gen II and III Pokemon, Trainer Tower, Tanabi Ruins and Key, and an extra Day Care for breeding. Adding the new gameplay features to classic games, such as gender, IVs and EVs, held items, nature and characteristics etc. Finally, it allows Gen I Pokemon to be in all new games- from Gen III Onwards, with a bit of work and borrowing of consoles, you can transfer say your Red starter to your post-game elite squad of 'mon on white 2. I rest my case.

29. MrGooseyMoose Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 20:06

Lol wut?

Haha, sorry. But firered/leafgreen was awesome. It updated the old games with new features - like the typings, stats, running shoes - and it was a perfectly worthwhile, and pretty damn decent, remake.

I agree that putting on and taking off the iron boots in the water temple was maybe a chore, but you know what? I never once had a problem with it. There, I said it. I get why people didn't like it, but it was the last thing on my mind in that dungeon. I never even noticed it until people started mentioning it around the time that the remake came out - and i had been playing the game for ten years before that. It wasn't game breaking, and if that function is what made you quit playing the game then...really? I get when people say they just couldn't beat the temple and they quit, or they forgot what they were doing and they quit, but having to take your boots on and off? ...

Anyway, I think this article oversimplifies the whole issue. No offence meant or anything, I did like some of the things you said...

*also, I've played the resident evil remake a hell of a lot of times and, well...to me, it seems that the crimson heads don't follow you around through doors. There are a couple of set pieces in which zombies come through doors, as if they are following you, but apart from that it never happens. Would be a nice feature though...*

30. LostNoob Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 20:58

Personally I liked the Sevii island, though I did hope I their was more to find.

31. AquaMisty Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 21:00

What's wrong with the controls in Super Mario 64 DS??
    It just uses the D-pad like all the other Mario games on DS

32. Mello Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 21:03

What's wrong with the controls in Super Mario 64 DS??
    It just uses the D-pad like all the other Mario games on DS

A lot of people didn't like D-Pad control for a 3D game. Personally I was one of them and agree with the blog, for me it seriously hampered the fun of the game, but groovy if you still liked it. :)

33. tobes325 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 22:30

Nornally I would say I don't like remakes. However...ocarina of time on the 3DS added better visuals, the master quest and a chance to replay a classic game from my childhood so for that I cant praise it enough. Not to mention the enhanced controls which made the water temple 10x less frustrating. The lylat wars remake I don't think added much new content and could have been bypassed.

So now we have got monster hunter tri, wind waker and revelations. I never got round to playing monster hunter so I am actually really looking forward to that! From what I have read aswell it sounds like they have really beefed out the content. Wind waker...thats a tricky one....when I first heard about it I thought "great news! One of the best looking zelda's getting an upgrade!". But after consideration I am worried it will tarnish its unique visuals, and I also think its a bit of slap to the face to the original because it really doesn't need to be in HD. 10 years on and it still looks amazing. Now its gonna be in HD I think for me personally its gonna ruin its charm. Revelations I am stoked about but I hope there is additional content and not just astraight remake.

I think now though Nintendo really need to focus on original games. I do think there have been far too many remakes over the past few years unfortunately. Dont get me wrong....I will 99% of the time still buy them but the future shouldn't be reliant on remakes.

34. cheatmaster30 Monday 28th Jan 2013 at 22:46

No mention of how they completely wrecked Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 by brightening up the graphics to eye hurting degrees?

They completely murdered the entire feel of the game to try and make it visible on an old style non lit GBA by making it look absolutely hideous on any back/frontlit console released since.

Also, I think you're being too harsh on Mario 64 DS. Sure the controls weren't the best, but I really liked the new features, characters, levels and bosses they added in. Seems like it would have been perfect on a 3DS.

35. Knightendo Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 10:02

I have to say I completely disagree with the article's "fact" that Super Mario 64 on the DS had fiddly controls. The thumb strap packaged in was comfortable and gave perfect analogue stick-like controls for me. I loved it! The revamped graphics brought it up to date and to have that whole game in my pocket with such innovative controls (for the time) was amazing! Similar to Metroid on the DS, however it used the stylus and the button layout for that game made the thumb strap impossible to use unfortunately.

When the PSP came out I remember a friend trying to take the p**s because my DS didn't have an analogue stick. I showed him both Mario and Metroid... He soon shut up :lol:

Like I've said elsewhere I don't understand why people moan about Wind Waker being remade. It's not replacing anything, it's not delaying new Zelda for the Wii U, it's an additional release! And if you don't think it's worth buying again, then don't. Simple as that. But no need to go on about it so negatively, just wait for new Zelda and let the rest of us enjoy WW in its new and improved form in the meantime. :D

36. franksello Tuesday 29th Jan 2013 at 10:28

Seeing so many games being remade for newer consoles reminds me of two things; I remember the buzz around their release the first time, and that I’m getting old.

Having started out back with the NES I’ve experienced the joy of playing some true classics of gaming on the console they were designed for, at a time when they were brand new and at the top of what games could offer, and it was great. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Mario kart etc… the list goes on.

I think giving gamers who weren’t gaming (or alive!) back when I was enjoying these classics a chance to experience them is surely only a good thing. I think the real problem arises when games that are not so important or great start getting the HD remake treatment.

Also giving these classics a graphical polish and more modern controls is a great reason to play them all over again. I mean some of these classics, well in truth they haven’t all aged well, and as much as I spent countless hours blasting through Goldeneye back in the nineties, playing through it now with the N64 controller, well… it’s not as intuitive as I recall.

All in all as long as the quality is there, I’ve got no problems with the growing trend for remakes, other than they remind me I’m getting old.

37. Combusken Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:10

Reasons to remake R/S/E in Gen 6:

1. The Hoenn region has never had internet connectability.
    2. The long transfer of the starters from the GBA games to the 3DS games.
    3. The Eon Ticket event item becoming easier to get since the Eon Ticket event was released on the failed Nintendo e-Reader and the Nintendo e-Reader (and its cards) was never released in the UK due to its poor sales in Japan and the US.
    4. It's been literally more than a decade since Ruby & Sapphire were released. This would give them the perfect reasoning to remake them.
    5. It would be interesting to see where the newer pokemon might show up in Hoenn. (e.g. Volcarona in Scorched Slab or Jellicent in the Sunken part of the Abandoned Ship)
    6. It would be nice to have some new places in Hoenn to visit. (e.g. FR and LG had the Sevil islands)
    7. Secret Bases and the Underground could work alongside the 3DS's Streetpass connectability.
    8. Maybe we can get new forms for old legendaries.
    9. Remakes has always been introduced after a new Gen on a new console. So what I'm saying is that Gen III remakes will probably be made before Gen VII. (Gen 1 remakes on GBA, Gen 2 remakes on DS, Gen 3 remakes on the 3DS looks likely based on the fact that the pokemon remakes have been released in series order so far.)

Reasons not to remake R/S/E in Gen 6:

1. Return of Voltorb Flip since the Hoenn region in generation 3 games had the slots.
    2. Return of the two bikes. (In Gen 3 the Acro bike allowed you to side-jump between rails and bunny hop along bumpy slopes. The Mach Bike moved much faster than walking, running, or the Acro Bike and it could be used to climb muddy slopes and crossed cracked tiles with enough momentum but you would have to be careful to land on the right cracked title in the Sky Pillar to progress upwards to catching Rayquaza.)

38. Pyron12 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 16:12

Super Mario 64 DS was a great remake. It was my first DS game along with Pearl and I got into it really quickly. I found the controls to be flawless. I struggle with the new Mario controls because I've been so used to SM64 DS.

39. HaydnRhys Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 17:30

There is another reason why a developer might remake a game. If a new generation of players (or something similar) come onto the scene, they might remake a critically acclaimed or much loved game so that those who missed out on it the first time.

For instance, when Wind Waker was originally released in 2003, I was simply too young to be able to play it and didn't actually get a Wii untill 2008, by which time no one was talking about it any more. The only reason I even knew that Wind Waker (or twilight princess for that matter) existed was because a good friend of mine was given a copy by his older sister.

40. redeye Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 06:35

So your guy didn't complete a couple of Zelda games, neither have I, so what.
    Games are to be played and enjoyed, the amount of times I have restarted games because I left them for a long time and then got back to them are to many to be counted. It hasn't stopped me enjoying them.
    I never had a chance to play the original Pokemon games, but would like to, however I still want new games. Therefore I want my cake and a chance to eat it.