Wii U has sold over 3 million

Nintendo reveal global sales for new console

Nintendo sold 3.06 million Wii U consoles between launch and the end of 2012. That's the big news from Nintendo's latest financial report which also reveals how many Wii U games the company sold during the time period.

Wii U launched in the US on 18 November 2012 while Nintendo's new console was released on 30 November in Europe and Japan on 8 December. As of 31 December, Wii U had sold 3.06 million while software sales stood at 11.69 million.

Nintendo Land is the best-selling Wii U game, having shifted 2.33 million while New Super Mario Bros U has sold 2.01 million.

In other news, buoyed by the release of Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2.73 million copies sold) in Japan and New Super Mario Bros 2 (5.96 million), 12.71 million 3DS consoles were sold globally between April and December 2012, bringing the lifetime total up to 29.84.

A further 3.53 million Wii consoles were sold between April and December but it was not enough to take the console over 100 million sales. It now stands at 99.38 million.

However, DS broke the 100 million barrier a while ago, with another 2.15 million sales taking it up to 153.67 million.

Is that enough stats for you?

Comments

1. Lazara the Last Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 09:28

I'm impressed! Everywhere you go on the internet, you hear about how f**ked Nintendo are, but they are not just fine, but great! I actually thinks the Wii U can surpass 5.5 millions at the end of March, or at least 4.5! And when 3D Mario, Mario Kart, the Wind Waker HD, Zelda HD and SSB are released, the Wii U will print money just like the DS!! :D

2. Knightendo Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 10:14

I've learned to stay away from things on the net other than official sources, such as ONM for my Wii U and official Apple feeds on Twitter for my iPad. There's so much hate and bile online for anything you could have an interest in, from "uneducated experts" as I like to call them. In other words, people who don't know the facts or are spreading rumours or who are just completely biased, but think that having their opinions in print on the Internet gives them some form of legitimacy.

For Nintendo I stick to ONM and the mag itself, along with Nintendo's site for Iwata Asks, and I'm much more content in my own little Wii U world than I was during the Wii's heyday with all the online hating. I stick to my little world and I love it, because I know what I like and I want to read official news and speak to people who share my interests, for Nintendo and my other hobbies and interests. No stress, just happiness :)

3. K-tet Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 10:22

Just over 3 million in a six week period? That's not bad at all. While it still didn't sell at all well in the UK (blame the retailers), in other parts of the EU (e.g. France) it was quite the opposite.

Actually, now that I think about it, a trickle over 3 million sold worldwide with some questionable adverts explaining what the Wii U is all about? Nintendo need a better advertising campaign, especially in Europe, perhaps then it'll sell more once the big guns come out.

4. kallymsmarties Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 12:01

What more could you want from Nintendo! Been doing this all by themselves and have always attempted to do something new without copying off others and they own most of the games that come out of their consoles. What computer character does Microsoft exactly own? GOD KNOWS! Because Nintendo made it's mark and brought us Mario and friends and nothing is going to beat it to be honest. 3DS has got loads of time to improve even though it is doing amazing as it is! DS has been out for such a long time and still selling in shops so I can't complain. Well done to Nintendo!

5. K-tet Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 12:15

Meanwhile, Nintendo is back in the black.

So that talk about the 360 being 200K units away from outselling the Wii in the UK = meaningless! \o/

6. toffeeman30 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 13:15

oh look nintendo sold 3 million wii u, its making a lot of money. how fanboys analyze financial statements

7. Nintendo4Ever Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 13:35

With all the new games that have been announced, I'm expecting this number to double by the end of the year!

8. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:05

3 million,that's very good news.

9. KH81314 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 15:03

I think that the Wii U will start selling really well after E3 till Christmas because some people wait for more games to come out (Even though there are already quite a few good games on Wii U).

10. ledreppe Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 16:19

To answer your question Tom, yes, the Wii will definitly make 100M in the coming months, for sure. And well done Wii U, like others are saying, there are too many Sony and Microsoft fanboys spuing too much hate and bile on the internet about the Wii U and Nintendo in general. Thet've been doing this ever since the first PlayStation and xbox came out, and they've had egg on their face with the Wii, and it could well be the same with the 3DS and Wii U. These people need to get a life, and stop their sadness.

11. thenintendoer Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 16:47

i just hope the wii u sales arent like the wii in that it sells really well for a few years and then slows right down almost completely

12. master sword Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 17:02

Well after the Latest Nintendo Direct my interest in the WiiU has increased a lot more due to some announcements that caught my interest, So it's 3 million and one now :P

13. hamzahdsi Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 17:45

Good for Nintendo

14. Farmboy74 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 19:58

It's amazing how the same story from site to site gets presented in a different way. On CVG this story led to a 200+ post flame war!!.
    To be honest 3 million sales in a shrinking global economy is not to be sniffed at. The latest Nintendo direct presentation went a long way into revealing upcoming games. Make that 3 million and 2 as I picked up a system on Monday

15. Mr Roboto Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:47

The main problem was releasing this console before it was really ready!

The OS needed more time plus Wii TVii app needed to be available from day one across the world.

Also a AAA Nintendo game is a must for a healthy console launch!

16. Knightendo Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 21:51

The main problem was releasing this console before it was really ready!

Also a AAA Nintendo game is a must for a healthy console launch!

But it has been very healthy. Other sites say that just because it hasn't done quite as well as the Wii it's doomed. Idiots. It's more expensive, the world is in a time of austerity, and it's still done amazingly well, even more so when we take that into account. It's hugely successful.

As for it not being ready, I disagree. So what if we had to perform a system update when we got it, for the sake of one download they'd have been insane to hold it back. At the end of the day the hardware was ready, and the software was ready for us to download when we got it, I don't see a problem there.

And TVii, that gives me something to look forward to for free :)

17. Skywardwolf23 Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 09:07

Good news for nintendo. :D

18. SmashBro2712 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 17:00

@Lazara the last, I keep hearing people say that too, Wii U's sales might have been less than phenomenal but in just a few months on sale it's done pretty well. Something a lot of people overlook is it's actually outsold what 360 and PS3 achieved in their first few months on the market and both have been pretty successful. A similar thing can be said for 3DS, it faced skepticism and criticism at launch for being "gimmicky" and having few good games, sales were slow but eventually it became massive and in its first 12 months on sale 3DS outsold DS's 1st year sales figures. I wonder how much more Wii Us they'd have sold if Nintendo's advertising was up to scratch.