The Junction Point journey is over, but I'm proud of our work - Warren Spector

Epic Mickey creator issues statement following closure of Junction Point

Junction Point chief Warren Spector has said he is sad to see his studio go but is proud of all his team achieved in eight years.

Following the closure of the studio that produced the Epic Mickey games, Warren Spector wrote a message on the company's Facebook page.

"Yes, it's true. The Junction Point journey is over," wrote Spector. "To all those who've asked, or want to ask, I'm sad but excited for the future.

"JPS had a good eight year run. I got to work with some amazing people on some amazing projects. I've had some of the most magical times of my life, fulfilling several life-long dreams. I've gotten to know Disney fans and Disney cast members, gotten hands on with Disney's history, walked where Walt walked... "Magical" really is the only word.

Spector created games such as Deus Ex and System Shock before working with Disney on the Epic Mickey games, and he admitted that his adventures with Disney didn't please everyone.

"Anyway, whatever you think of me, or Junction Point, or Disney or the Disney Epic Mickey games - yes, I know we polarized people! - I'll always look back on the last eight years with nothing but pride. Rarely have I worked with a team more dedicated or harder working. Never have I been part of a game - of anything, really - that touched people at as deep or personal a level as the Epic Mickey games. That's priceless.

"I said to myself as Junction Point embarked on the Epic Mickey journey that, worst case, we'd be "a footnote in Disney history." Looking back on it, I think we did far better than that. With Mickey Mouse as our hero, we introduced a mainstream audience to some cool "core game" concepts... and, most especially, we restored Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to a place of prominence."

As for what the future holds for Spector, he said: "Let's just say, now it's time to move on to the next adventure. I honestly don't know what that will be yet, so don't ask."

Well, we suppose we can give up thoughts of seeing Epic Mickey 3 or those Duck Tales games he wanted to make. It looks like Disney see their future in videogames as Disney Infinity.

Comments

1. vix_chan Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 11:07

It's sad to see a company that creates such great games to just get up and go.

I was however more disappointed when Project Sora announced there closer after producing only one game, Kid Icarus: Uprising.
    If that’s not going out with a bang, I don’t know what is.

2. Darkblizz Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 11:37

I just hope Disney will keep Oswald around after this and not just sweep him under the rug.

Come on Disney, make an Ozzie figure for Infinity....

3. samus_killer Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:00

As much as I'm sad to hear JP close, it really was inevitable with the poor sales of EM2.

I really enjoyed the first one and hoped that they'd fix many of its problems with the second, but they didn't. In fact I even preferred the original over the sequel, but then I did buy the awful Wii U version. The 3DS was pretty fun though.

It's a shame, but it makes me wonder what Warren Spector will do next.

4. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:13

It's a shame to hear,as Epic Mickey was one of my favourite series on the Wii.
    But hopefully Oswald won't disappear into obscurity again,hey he might appear in Disney Infinity.

5. KH81314 Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 14:59

I thought Epic Mikcey was a great game and I'm sad to see them go.

6. TheSlenderman Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 16:12

This is a huge shame.

7. smash-brother Wednesday 30th Jan 2013 at 18:49

their might be more epic mickey games as disney own the rights as the puplisher and spector said he was contacted by them to do it (did mario party end when hudsen went bust? hint: ninty got anonther develeper to make mp9) it just a desion for disney (paint or thinner? :lol: )