More StreetPass features coming to 3DS in 2013

Nintendo want to encourage fans to go out with thir 3DS consoles

More StreetPass features will be made available for 3DS owners this year. That's the word from Nintendo President Satoru Iwata who hopes that the new additions will encourage users to take their handheld consoles outside.

Iwata admitted that while StreetPass has been successful in Japan and in cities accross Europe, it could do better in the US.

He said: "When it comes to StreetPass, users in the automobile-dominated U.S. do not use it as much as Japanese users do. In contrast, it has gradually become popular in the metropolitan areas of European countries.

"This year we plan to add some StreetPass-related features to the Nintendo 3DS in order to encourage more people to go out with their Nintendo 3DS, and make StreetPass and SpotPass more popular overseas."

The last major StreetPass update was in December 2011 when Nintendo added StreetPass Quest 2, accomplishments and many more puzzle panels. Although we have received more puzzle panels since then, there haven't been any big new features.

So who wants StreetPass Quest 3?

[ Source: Nintendo ]

Comments

1. BattleGooseUK Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 09:37

I live in a village in Norfolk... I'll be honest... I don't get many streetpasses :(

2. tomonm Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 09:41

Go to Norwich city centre. Surely there will be some StreetPasses to be had in those pedestrianised streets. Stand outside One Step Beyond and see what you get!

3. BattleGooseUK Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 09:50

I usually do take my 3DS with me when I go up Naaaaarch city. I usually loiter around GAME 8)

4. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 10:32

Yes please!! With no more new Puzzle Panels in months, I've had nothing to spend all those Play Coins I've accumilated.
    A third (or should that be forth) StreetPasss Quest map would be great, as long as it comes with more hats to unlock - or maybe even full-body suits for your Mii instead of additional hats.

5. KnuxIBF Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 10:40

They'll give us more puzzle panels/Quests just as me and my brother finish it probably!

6. vix_chan Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 10:54

I'm looking forward to something new.
    Yes, i love the puzzles, and streetpas quest is a fun game to gather new hats.
    I would much rather a new game completly however.
    Maybe a platform style game where more miis make longer levels.

7. ledreppe Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 11:50

I live in the back of beyond, and I rarely go into town as all the shops I need are on the outskirts. I've had about 16 streetpasses since the day before the official 3ds launch!

I liked the 2 streetpass quest games, but I think it's time for something new.

8. CDS Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 12:31

Great idea.
    The puzzle panels haven't been coming lately, but I think that more to the fact there aren't really any big games out right now to promote.
    Streetpass Quest is a great game, and is a good RPG.
    But I really think it is time for a new genre in the Mii Plaza. How about racing? But make it different to Mario Kart. Just whatever they do, do not make a fishing Streetpass game.

9. rachaeln Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 13:14

@ tomonm did you know one step beyond doesn't have a shop anymore? They just have a market stall now!
    The max amount of street passes I had In one day was 6 in norwich on a school holiday. And I frequently get about 2 if I'm in town.

I would really like something totally new from street pass to be added to quest and puzzle, would love it if Nintendo surprise us :)

10. Nintendalek42 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 15:09

Though I live in Paris, I honestly don't go around streetpassing much. I'm not hostile to the concept, I just think that giving silly purple streetpass exclusive puzzle pieces (especially when you keep ending up buying puzzle pieces you already have :roll: ) and making you have to finish the secret quest on Mii Streetpass Quest II 10 times (I'm ending my fourth) to get all the hats is a bit bloody ridiculous. I want the hats less rare if they ever do Mii Streetpass Quest III, and I want to be able to choose the puzzle piece to buy and buy purple puzzle pieces for a higher play coin price in the future. Making Streetpassing an advantage is fine, making it an unfair advantage isn't. But anyway, it's good they're not forgetting the nifty app that is Streetpass mii Plaza, and still updating the 3DS built-in software.

11. Waldy565 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 17:13

Couldn't imagine what they could do, it would have to be something quite major... but the ideas swimming around my head would make Nintendo lose profit :(... I live in a rural village near Ashbourne, Derbyshire... I only get Streetpass hits when I go to college near Burton-Upon Trent... :P. However, great satisfaction when I open my 3DS on the bus and see that green light winking at me xD

12. PokeMarti Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 17:23

I really hope we get StreetPass Quest 3 soon :) I've finished the first two 10 times each, got all the accomplishments I can now for the time being.

13. KH81314 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:45

Not many people own a 3Ds where I live and I dont take it everywhere with me.

14. lazy_by_choice Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 14:37

I pretty much take my 3DS with me where ever I go, although I don't get many hits....but if Nintendo are going to expand streetpass Quest then yes please!! I wouldn't mind more hats and the like :D

15. PikachuKJ Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 13:42

I have had about 100 street pass hits since I got my 3ds 1 and a half years ago. I streetpass the same people most of the time and It is good to get more people for the streetpass quest. The puzzle pannels are almost impossible to complete as most of the people I streetpass have similar pieces or sometimes even less pieces then me. I would like more quest or another awesome game and to improve the accessabilty of the puzzle pieces.