No Wii U price cut planned

"We are not planning to perform a markdown," says Iwata

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has said that the company has no plans for a Wii U price cut.

Wii U was released in November and although Iwata said that Nintendo had learned lessons from 3DS, a similar hardware price cut is not part of the company's strategy.

Speaking during Nintendo's third quarter financial results briefing, Iwata said: "With Wii U, we have taken a rather resolute stance in pricing it below its manufacturing cost, so we are not planning to perform a markdown. I would like to make this point absolutely clear.

"We are putting our lessons from Nintendo 3DS to good use, as I have already publicly stated. However, given that it has now become clear that we have not yet fully communicated the value of our product, we will try to do so before the software lineup is enhanced and at the same time work to enrich the software lineup which could make consumers understand the appeal of Wii U."

During the briefing, Iwata promised that the Wii U software line-up will get stronger from spring.

Comments

1. vix_chan Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 10:59

As I only got my Wii U for Xmas, I am glad there is no price cut as of yet, I would feel majorly gutted if it went cheap like how the 3DS did so fast.

2. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 13:15

I wasn't predicting a mark-down. As Iwata said it's already being sold at a loss so further reductions would be insane.

3. imbusydoctorwho Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 13:29

I'm quite happy about that,considering I did felt a bit cheated when the 3DS when down so much in price.
    Long as Nintendo keeps up with big releases for the Wii U,they should be fine,but I do think the games could do with a price drop from £49.99 to about £39.99-£44.99.

4. K-tet Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 16:10

There's no need for a hardware price cut, we just need high street retailers to stop ripping people off.

The only time when the Wii U should get a price cut is when the system naturally depreciates (in about 2 or 3 years time). By then, Nintendo should have a quality software library and a fair-sized install-base available to start wheeling out the hardware units "left, right and centre".

5. abovethewell Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 17:04

As previously mentioned, I think that shops need to reduce the price of the games; £45- £50 for ports of old games is simply ridiculous. I'd be more than happy to pay £45 for say, Metroid, but not for remakes and ports, or games that simply reuse older game engines, with little development required (Super Mario Bros. U, here's looking at U.).

6. ThePokekid78 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:11

Dammit.

7. KH81314 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:41

I got the 3Ds when it got the price cut but I felt sorry for the people who didn't so i'm glad that isn't happening to me yet.

8. Mr Roboto Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:53

Price cut later in the year just before PS4 and 720 are released!

WiiU sales are bound to be lower than Wii the world is different now money is more tight now days for family's!

9. Riverlution Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 20:55

Kinda annoyed I bought my Wii U when I did. I got it from Amazon for £350 on launch (ZombiU edition) but didn't open it til christmas anyway.

I've seen them up to £60 cheaper now. Still, its amazing so I'm not overly annoyed since I believe it was worth the asking price

10. Knightendo Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 21:47

Couldn't agree more, but I've found I'm able to find games for about 35-40 in places like HMV or Tesco etc. basically, stay away from GAME and you're sweet!

11. Dougtendo Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 18:38

They need to reduce the price of games, people go to eBay because they're cheaper there. Seeing games for £49 at the local game store won't encourage anyone to buy them, let alone the console.