Best moments of the month

January has been packed with announcements but what was our best moment?

January is traditionally a quiet time for games but this month has been one of the most exciting since, erm, the one before last when Wii U was released. Okay, December, what with it being Christmas and all that, was quite exciting, too. What I'm trying to say is that it has been an amazing month, one that's been packed with huge announcements that are usually saved for E3 in June.

In fact we can't remember a January like it since 2011 when Nintendo showcased 3DS at a special show in Amsterdam. Even then, we knew about most of the games that were announced. Sure, it was great to hear about the 3DS release date and price but aside from that, the biggest announcement was that Shaun The Sheep was on the way.

This month we've had some incredible news. Here are the biggest and best stories of the month.

5. Disney Infinity

Whatever you think of the idea of buying figures and Playsets to unlock levels, Disney Infinity could be huge. After all, Skylanders has been a big success and if you take that idea, replace a little purple dragon and his chums with some of the world's most famous characters and chuck in a Toy Box mode which enables you to create your own levels, it's clear that this has the potential to be massive.

Announced at a special press conference on 19 January, Disney Infinity seemed a bit confusing at first with all the talk of platforms and Playsets and I had to watch the press conference again to understand what was on offer. I admit that initially I thought that Disney would be releasing three separate games on the same day with more to come during the rest of the year.

Instead, what we had was the Starter Pack which includes three Playset pieces, each of which unlocks three areas based on Pirates Of The Caribbean, Monsters University and The Incredibles. You get three characters, too - Sully, Jack Sparrow and Mr Incredible. You'll be able to buy more figures to bring into your game on launch day when there will be more Playsets available.

Disney Infinity could end up costing you a lot of money but, from what we've seen so far, the Starter Pack levels are pretty good.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page

Comments

1. Lego master Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 16:39

I've never heard of an X-box 260? :-)

2. shy guy 64 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 16:39

i have to agree with on the gen VI anocment being number one

3. MatthewONM Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 16:51

My list:
    5. Monolith Soft announcement
    4. Monolith Soft announcement
    3. Monolith Soft announcement
    2. Monolith Soft announcement
    1. New Wii U Party game

4. King Slazo Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 16:57

Your best moments of the month include "we're talking about games you expected us to talkabout at E3... at E3!" and "we're remaking an old Zelda game again while we stall for time to develop the original Zeldas".

Oh dear.

Don't get me wrong, neither of those things are bad, persay, but nothing to really raise the roof over. Weirdly enough, I agree with Castle that the new Monolith title was the highlight as far as Nintendo is concerned, with X and Y coming a close second.

5. TheVelvetRoom Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 17:53

I agree with Slazo, it's this kind of carrot-dangling strategy that put me off Wii U in the first place. I can't be convinced by Nintendo doing this with their franchises anymore, especially after how much of a disappointment I found Brawl and Other M to be.

Pokemon X and Y, that at least is the most worthy, considering they announced worldwide release the day the game was revealed.

6. Mmmyeah Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 17:58

I'm obsessed with all things Zelda, so the appearance of Eiji Aonuma on Nintendo Direct talking about the next game was very exciting for me, even if it was very minimal information for a game we wont see for quite a while. Obviously I also found Wind Waker HD exciting!

I agree that Pokemon X and Y was the highlight though.

7. Xenobladeperson Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 18:31

Putting Disney Infinity above a Monolith Soft project, running in a similar engine to Xenoblade should be punishable be death.

Also, rumours of Resi: Revelations HD for other consoles have been floating about for months, so that's not much of a shock and knowing that there will be a 3D Mario game and Smash Bros shown at E3 was pretty obvious.

And Wind Waker > Pokemon, because a 3D Pokemon was inevitable, WWHD was a shock.

8. tomonm Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:36

Punishable by death? Bit harsh! Anyway, you'll notice that I cheated a bit by lumping the new game from Monolith in with the Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Smash Bros entry.

Disney Infinity - might not be your bag but there's no denying that it was a big announcement and that's what this is all about - the biggest announcements/stories of the month.

9. KH81314 Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 19:49

My favorite thing was the Nintendo Direct. Lots of great games coming out for Wii U and I am super excited for E3.

10. Mr Roboto Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 20:13

It's an old game but a classic Zelda Wind Waker for me!

Until E3 with the new Mario game :D

11. IPecksU Thursday 31st Jan 2013 at 23:43

I cannot comprehend Disney Infinty and a resident evil port topping the monolith game.

12. SammyDodger Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 01:29

Wind Waker > Pokemon, because a 3D Pokemon was inevitable, WWHD was a shock.

Wrong. Pokémon > Wind Waker, because WW is a re-make of an old game, while Pokémon is entirely new (plus the trailer was amazing). Also it was a shocking way to announce Pokémon as it's usually leaked through Coro Coro scans

13. RainbowGazelle Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 10:03

5. A money making scam
    4. A remake
    3. Sequels
    2. A remake
    1. Sequels

Forgive me if I'm not over moon with your picks of the month's best game announcements. We've got a brand new console sitting there, would it kill Nintendo to make something new?

14. MartinIsAwesome Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 10:57

Personally by best moment of the month was recieving my copy of the Hyrule Historia. =D
    Next to that, the surprise of the Wind Waker remake.
    As a Honorable Mention I'd nominate the announcement that Project X Zone is actually getting a European release.

15. lazy_by_choice Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 13:20

For me the best moment of the month has to be the announcement for Pokemon X and Y. Its a series many love and for years it has been in 2D, so now that we finally get a 3D version, I'd have to say it tops all. The Pokemon Company weren't kidding when they said the world of pokemon would evolve in 2013!! :D

16. GiftedGimp Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 16:03

My best moments of January are:

1. Buying a WiiU (for the kids)
    2. Finding my interest of Playing Ps3 totally gone
    3. Declaring to the Missus that I will not be spending a fortune in 12 or so months time to buy a Ps4/games (making her quite happy)
    4. Deciding to trade in my Ps3/Games to buy more WiiU games.
    5. Discovering all the great things coming to WiiU in the Future.

Seriously, Miiverse is destined to be ripped off by MS/Sony even if they dont go the touch pad route. The Nintendo Community are a awsome bunch of people (going on the ones I've came across), and even when Ms/Sony do rip off Wiiverse within 24hrs it will be full of posts asking to help trophy whore and explaining how to find/exploit the latest glitch.

On WiiU its refreshing after all these years of avoiding Nintendo consoles (mainly because I always get the impression Nintendo are only really bothered about making games consoles aimed at youngsters) to find a diverse community of all ages with the attitude that Games can be played for pure enjoyment.

Yeah Ms/Sony will have the powerhorse consoles on the shop shelves within a year, but the games will be copies of games seen a million times before but with shiner graphics.
    I've rebrought Blops2 on WiiU and will be getting more of the 'Core' games for myself as time goes by, (hopfully Nintendo can keep 3rd party publishers intersted in producing WiiU games) but as a Dad of two young boys its also great to be able to play Great,Fun family games with them.

So with all that said my Greatest Moment of January is having my Gaming Experiences expandedand meeting a bunch of really great gamers.
    :D

17. Xenobladeperson Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 17:54

Wind Waker > Pokemon, because a 3D Pokemon was inevitable, WWHD was a shock.

The age of the game is irrelevant. How can something that was obviously going to happen at some point possibly be a better moment than a genuine surprise, which happens to be a remake of one of the greatest games ever made?

18. SammyDodger Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 12:52

True point. I think we should just agree to disagree. Both are very surprising and exciting. I mean WW was out of the blue, but I had a feeling we would see Zelda return to that graphical style some day whether it was a re-make or a new game. But for me, growing up with all the Pokémon announcements, the way they did this one was very different and unexpected. Also I'm sure a while back Gamefreak said they didn't want to do away with sprites. But I guess you're right that 3D was inevitable. I'm sure if I was more of a Zelda fan than a Pokémon one then I would probably agree with you.