13 more amazing Mario facts and secrets

How many did you know?

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time again. With new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Yoshi, and Wario games on the way to Wii U, the spotlight is well and truly on the Mario universe once again. With this in mind, I grabbed my notebook and oxygen mask and returned to the depths of the Mushroom Kingdom to bring you lovely folks a second helping of fascinating things you might not have known about Mario games.

Here are 13 more amazing Mario facts and secrets. Have a read and tell us how many you knew.

1. Mario Excitebike

There's actually a version of Excitebike that features Mario characters. Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Battle Stadium was a title for the Japanese-only SNES add-on, the Satellaview. Like most Satellaview games, Mario Excitebike was broadcast in episodic fashion, with each new episode adding a new character to the roster. The gameplay is pretty much identical to that of the original Excitebike, but being a SNES title, boasted better graphics as well as Mario-themed scenery.

Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12 13 Next page

Comments

1. theycallmejack Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 12:59

This is the first ONM Facts and Secrets article where I've genuinely not known any of the facts! Awesome! Bravo!

2. shy guy 64 Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 13:08

knew a fair few of them

3. skyluigi Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 14:02

I knew them all except the ones about Angry Birds, because I've never played it, and Tamanoripu.
    Aw.

4. KH81314 Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 14:04

I only knew the one about the koopalings the otherones were secret to me.

5. Liefesa Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 14:37

Nice list; I knew most of these.
    The Noki Bay book always puzzled me; reminds me of the truck near the SS Anne in Pokemon R/B - something you can see, but can't quite reach. You always assume there's some way to get to it, hence the conspiracy theories!

I like the GC controller reference in Sirena Beach!

6. danbish Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 14:42

I knew about half of this list but I didn't know about the pillars in SMB64, that was a genuine suprise.

7. MartinIsAwesome Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 16:05

Like Dan, I new about half of these, although it was the Hotel Delfino one that surprised me the most.

8. shadowlugia101 Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 16:17

apparently, someone hacked the super Mario sunshine game and the book read

you have no life
    -miyamoto

9. 9 Times Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 16:29

That creepy ghost in SM3DL can be found at the end of ANY ghost mansion... Ironically, It's harder to see on 4-4 than on other ghost levels...

10. inuyashaDS Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 16:35

apparently, someone hacked the super Mario sunshine game and the book read

you have no life
    -miyamoto

LOL :)

11. LBDNytetrayn Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 17:02

I knew (or knew part of) seven, and didn't know six. Not bad!

12. carnivine chaos Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 17:16

The last one with different dialogue in Sunshine, at 0:26 it sounds like Mario is saying, "Looks like a giant painted lady". But that's just a guess. The painted part I'm sure of.

13. abovethewell Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 19:05

Would anyone care to tell me what #12 is? I encountered the dreaded 404...

14. Riverlution Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 20:31

Great article, didn't know many of those!

15. TheSlenderman Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 20:45

Wow :D

16. fisher2007 Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 21:45

knew a fair few of them

17. MrChewtoy Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 21:51

"Looks like a giant came to play" perhaps.

18. Waldy565 Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 21:57

Mmm, great that you didn't copy and paste from a previous mag, I knew none of them, I like the Mario Sunshine Japanese Opening, the Pikmin easter egg (which actually I DID know, simply I remember reading it in one of your mags actually! :P) and the easter egg book. However, I didn't see the "mysterious" figure in point 3....

19. Waldy565 Friday 1st Feb 2013 at 22:01

Would anyone care to tell me what #12 is? I encountered the dreaded 404...

Tamanoripu's second appearance on the Game Boy Camera :), oh, and number 13 was secret dialogue in the Japanese version of the opening of Mario Sunshine

20. Tuckforce Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 14:07

Never knew about the book in sunshine!
    It seems like a very out of place item, why on earth is it there?!

21. skyluigi Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 18:55

Never knew about the book in sunshine!
    It seems like a very out of place item, why on earth is it there?!

No-one actually knows, but the best theory is that instead of the mission that takes place in the bottle now, there was originally a quest to find the book and get back to the surface. It's possible that this is true and that the book was left there by mistake, or maybe it's just a giant easter egg.

22. vtheyoshi Saturday 2nd Feb 2013 at 20:31

I knew a few of these, but I didn't know most of them. That Sunshine one brings back memories, I was always perplexed by it when I first found it.

23. Laughlyn Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 01:19

I've had a rather iffy version of the mario excite bike playing on an emulator. the bit i got was extremely enjoyable and i'd love it to be released on VC as part of the hanabi festivals

24. Darkparallel Tuesday 9th Apr 2013 at 16:44

I think Mario said "Looks like a giant painting of me", But I'm not too sure :?

25. Nintendo fan 1 Wednesday 10th Apr 2013 at 07:39

Wait where's the mysterious figure in SM3DL?

26. mrmariomaster Wednesday 10th Apr 2013 at 19:55

Toads worth is saying "looks like a giant paint monster!"