Best minor Nintendo characters

The top 10 game characters who deserve more attention

As great as they are, Mario, Link, Samus and all the other big Nintendo stars get all the attention. Nintendo have been in the video game business for a very long time, creating hundreds of great characters over the years. Sadly, many of them are overlooked because of the minor roles they play or limited number of appearances they have made. Not wanting this injustice to go ignored, I've gone through Nintendo's history and picked out some of the lesser known faces I feel deserve some recognition.

1. Sakon

Who? A minor antagonist from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Sakon is a nasty piece of work. Don't let his innocent exterior fool you as behind that permanent gleeful expression and his weird prancing lies a merciless thief. He robs the elderly and the vulnerable and I'm pretty sure he's the one who owns that ugly bird that steals your stuff in Termina Field.

Perhaps his most notable misdeed is stealing the wedding mask from Kafei, a groom-to-be who had unfortunately been turned into a child by the Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask, kicking off the game's biggest side-quest to try and get it back.

Sakon's simple appearance but wildly cruel actions make for a fantastic villain, a villain we don't see enough. The Legend of Zelda series is known for featuring recurring characters, and while Ocarina of Time was actually the first appearance of a much more benign version of the character, I'd love to see him come back in a villainous role again.

As you may know, I love my facts and trivia, so here's a fact for you. Sakon holds the distinction of being one of, if not the only NCP character Link can actually kill. On the night of the first day, Sakon attempts to rob an old lady's bomb bag, but Link can intervene and prevent the robbery by cutting the bag away from Sakon when he takes it. However, if Link fires an arrow instead, the bomb bag will explode, obliterating the thief. He won't be seen again until the three day cycle is restored.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. LOZanges Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 15:41

I knew about 5 of these.

2. retrotoad Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 15:53

Carl was really annoying in the second season, to be fair. I'll agree with you on that one.

3. vtheyoshi Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 16:32

Biorex was awesome! It really should get its own game. Its ending video is pretty funny too.

4. MartinIsAwesome Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 16:47

Salvatore, indeed! I liked him the moment he uttered the words "KA-BOOOOOM!!" and SPLOOOOOSH!!"

One of my favourite minor characters are the Bob-omb Buddies. Just the sound they make when you talk to them make them great.
    A whole bunch of Link's Awakening minor characters spring to mind too. Like Sale. He's a blue alligator who runs a shop called "House O' Bananas" and collects rare and unusual canned food as a hobby. That's pretty darn memorable.

5. KH81314 Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 17:02

I only knew five of these characters.

6. shy guy 64 Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 18:51

i'd say there's fair few memorbal minor characters in sidequests in zelda games

7. metalgario Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 19:28

Tabuu from Smash Bros Brawl. I mean, what was he all about? Needs to be explained in Smash 4...

8. LavaTwilight Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 20:06

He should be an unlockable fighter in Smash 4! As like only possible once you have all other characters or have acheived 100%! Something like that.

Also I believe the bird in Majora's Mask that steals your stuff belong to the actual store owner, the guy who buys the stolen goods. I think it's in one of the comments he makes either when you've had something stolen (you can buy it back off him) or when you've killed that damn bird.

Although he's not a classic or a 'minor' character (yet) but the Generic-Looking Action Figure is one I'd like to see more of, esp as a completely brand new IP! That would be awesome. And you forgot that JPN-only Captain Rainbow guy. How could you miss him and his birdo-gender-discovering anecdote out?

9. Zabba 2 Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 20:14

Funny you should bring that up, Non-specific Action Figure was actually included in my original draft of this article. However, we thought it would be best to concentrate on characters that have actually appeared in Nintendo videogames so far. I agree though! I hope to see him as the star of a new IP for Wii U.

10. TheSlenderman Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 20:46

What about that guy who is frozen in gold in Twilight princess...Jiovani.. I think.
    Also, non-specific action figure has got to get his own game at some point...

11. TronFan97 Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 20:55

OMG I just realised that Captain Shears from Star Fox manga and General Pepper are based off of 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'! General Pepper needs no explanation, and 'Shears' is a reference to the start of the song 'With A Little Help From My Friends', which is on Sgt. Pepper (the first words sung in that song are 'Billy Shears'). On top of that, they wear uniform similar to that which the Beatles wore on the cover of the album. Wow - turns out the Japanese guys behind the Star Fox series obviously kept us Brits in mind when developing the saga!

12. Not_Yeti Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 21:38

Yep and the rebels (Falco's friends) drive a great big yellow ship that looks alot like a submarine.

13. Xenobladeperson Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 22:03

You've got to love the Colony 9 Defense Force Colonel.

14. Smouvy Monday 4th Feb 2013 at 22:44

Haha, it felt like the page on the Angry Sun was less about talking how great the Angry Sun is, and more on how stupid the Honey Queen is.

Not that I disagree though :P

15. CaptainSnivy Tuesday 5th Feb 2013 at 09:17

What's the idea of using a screenshot of a ROM hack on an official Nintendo website? Use a screenshot from the actual official games if you don't want to be sued.

16. Waldy565 Tuesday 5th Feb 2013 at 22:07

So many Nintendo games I missed out on, from that list, I've played Mario 3, SSBB, Pokemon (what got me interested in Ninty tbh, and the Wii) and I'm getting Luigi's Mansion (so many cool easter eggs I've seen bout that game and wanna try) Due to this, I can't really contribute, but I will say I agree with the Capt Shears, I have SF643D, double-agent espoinge back-stabbing works well in Fox's universe, but him being a manga-only character... Unlikely. One character you missed is Resseti, sure, he can be annoying, but you definetley remembered to save! Plus, he's an angry mole, what's not too like! Played AC Sweet Day, someone posted bout they can't wait to play AC:NL, I AM SO HYPED TOO!

17. smash-brother Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 19:14

video games need more playerble characters based arond giant sentiant food stuff :lol:

18. GloverMist Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 21:00

Which one's the ROM hack? I didn't notice anything. :?