GameCube games that need to be remade for Wii U

Zelda Wind Waker Wii U looks great but what other GameCube classics should be given the HD treatment? Marc Zablotny reveals his picks...

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. Now, I don't know about you but I didn't see that one coming! It looks beautiful doesn't it? I mean, look at all that bloom effect! Go on, look at the screenshots again. It's okay, I'll wait...

Are you back now? Remembered how excited you are for it? Brilliant, you should be. It's nice to see Nintendo are still able to surprise us with little announcements like that.

HD remakes have become commonplace in gaming over the last few years, with classic series such as Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, God of War and even Banjo Kazooie getting the high definition makeover. However, Nintendo couldn't get involved as Wii didn't support HD even though did attempt to remake some old GameCube games to take advantage of Wii's new control system as Pikmin and Mario Tennis were both released as part of the New Play Control series.

Wind Waker HD might primarily exist as a fller to keep the fans happy while they wait for Wii U's proper Zelda title, but it's also proof that Nintendo are willing to make HD remakes of their older titles. With this in mind, I've compiled a list of some other GameCube games I'd love to see remade for Wii U, in glorious high definition.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Sadly, developer Silicon Knight's recent legal battle with Epic Games ensured Eternal Darkness 2 is almost certain never to happen. So, if a sequel isn't on the way in the foreseeable future, revisiting the original seems like a good call.

Eternal Darkness is one of the GameCube's few true horror games, employing a variety of "Sanity Effects" to really freak you out. These include having your head randomly explode, hearing screams and voices, seeing mysterious figures run in the distance, fake volume adjustments appearing on your TV and many, many more. It brought an extra dimension to the game because in addition to worrying about enemies, puzzles and the creepy atmosphere, you had to keep dealing with all these random, scary occurrences.

Currently, we don't know a lot about Wind Waker HD. We're not too sure if it's just a visual upgrade, or if we'll see some other extras. There would actually be a lot of potential for Eternal Darkness HD to get some improvements besides the visuals. For example, one of the aforementioned Sanity Effects - the ghostly volume adjustment - uses a really old symbol for volume that you don't see on TVs anymore. In the remake, they could update it to make it even more convincing. Perhaps they could even add new Sanity Effects, like making it look as if the game has loaded up the Wii U eShop on its own accord...

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. lrwr14 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:05

Played Doshin the Giant, it was an interesting game lol. I would like Mario Sunshine remade, that was an amazing game.

2. scouserfuller9 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:15

As great as it is having remakes I'd much prefer new titles to be released. Starfox 64 on the 3DS was needed because many hadn't seen Fox for a long time, Zelda: WW is needed for new comers to see as well as veterans to re-live one on the greatest games of all time. The other good thing is it links so well with Zelda: OOT that those who played that on the 3DS, will understand the story much more :-)

So yes, it's great to see remakes but I don't wanna see them go over the top.

3. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:19

I'd rather just have a new F-Zero...

4. legend1992 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:20

Those are some very nice choices, indeed. I like the idea of an Eternal Darkness remake especially; if one ever does get made, they should definitely consider updating the game's insanity effects (and adding new ones if possible) for today's HD televisions.

Personally, I wouldn't say no to a remake of the first Luigi's Mansion - not just an HD upgrade, but an extended remake with new areas and bosses to address the criticism the original game received over its short length.

5. ultra_slb Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:43

instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

6. 5OUNDWAVE Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 13:02

i love the sound of cubivore , f zero gx would love to see that 2 , due 2 the fact i haven't played it , virtual striker i remember fondly - how many pound's i put into that arcade i'll never know - the best thing about it was if u scored an amazing goal it would save it on the machine as goal of the day for other people to see - and ur right it's better than fifa but not pro evo !

7. nintenu Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 13:03

I'd rather just have a new F-Zero...

Yeah same here!

8. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 14:17

Eternal Darkness would be on the top of my list mainly because I can see the GamePad working well with it unlike the other four. It could act like a virtual Tome of Darkness and make mixing runes, casting spells and sorting eqipment a lot easier.
    Besides, Doshin the Giant on Gamecube was already a remake from the 64DD (one of the few games that actually did get released for the system), so a second remake seems unlikely.

9. BattleGooseUK Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 14:41

Doshin the giant got so hard later on.

I would like to see an HD remake of Luigis Mansion and Mario Sunshine, they'd be gorgeous in HD.

10. MatthewONM Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 14:57

instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

Amen to that. I think Nintendo fans spend too much time living in the past. One of the best things about Nintendo games is that many of them are timeless - there are very few I want/need again. I like the idea that Nintendo's best work still might be ahead of them. Onwards to victory.

11. IPecksU Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 15:30

Change this to "Gamecube games that need sequels on Wii U" then I'll completely agree

12. Mew3 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 16:56

Along with some new games they should remake shadow the hedgehog but actually make it good

13. KH81314 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 17:19

I think that HD remakes for Gamecube games would be great. Missed out on some great ones and wouldn't mind playing them in HD.

14. Not_Yeti Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 17:55

I'd rather just have a new F-Zero...

Wow, new games would be nice! That's why they announced 5 or 6 in the last nintendo direct and don't forget about pokemon X and Y that are also coming out. Remakes are great as well. They will bed better quality games as they will have had a second time to iron out all the bugs and you know if you want the game or if it is a pile of Yoshi poop. Nintendo make new games. Nintendo will always make new games but that doesn't mean I don't want to play old games as well on my brand spanking Wii U. I never completed the second level of the F-zero GX campaign and I'm one of the best at that game I know! Man alive the person who I know who is the F-zero king hasn't beaten it on the hardest difficulty and he beats everyone and wins competitions!!! I don't think they should make the game easier but at an easier game mode for noobs to start with.

15. LavaTwilight Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 18:03

I would definitely want an Eternal Darkness HD remake! MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    As for F-Zero, meh a remake would be kool but only if they really have no intention of releasing a WiiU version. Otherwise I don't think I could justify buying both purely for the fact that F-Zero GX was a near-perfect game anyway. VC release and a WiiU release? I'll definitely invest in both :wink:

16. Not_Yeti Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 18:10

It isn't gamecube game but really we need to get "The Legend Of Zelda" TV series to download from the eShop or something!

17. linkmarth29 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 19:37

instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

I agree but with an action packed couple of months ahead, we could go back even further like snes and nes. Even game and watch and if possible, some cancelled virtual boy games that were never released.However, I love F-zero and that's what I want out of life. If they did some 3ds games for wii u that would be pretty cool like kid icarus uprising or(I was about to say new super mario 2 but that would be a bit pointless.) :)

18. Combusken Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 20:45

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire (If the rumours of Ruby and Sapphire being remade on the 3DS turn out to be true.)
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Viewtiful Joe
    Star Fox: Assault
    Bomberman Generation
    One Piece: Grand Adventure (It was only released in North America for the GameCube :( )
    Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation (It was never released in Europe for some stupid reason even though Ultimate Muscle was airing on UK tvs back on the CNX channel and then later on the Toonami UK channel. :( )

19. abovethewell Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 21:17

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Viewtiful Joe
    Star Fox: Assault
    Bomberman Generation

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was perfection. I loved the pyramid levels and A ROCKET CAME OUT THE DESERT AND WENT TO A SPACESHIP THAT BLEW UP HALF THE MOON!!!!! Um, yeah.... but it actually had a good plot and brilliant gameplay! I'd love to fight the BioHazard in HD :D

20. ultra_slb Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 21:30

instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

I don't mind reliving and replaying some games, Ocarina of Time was a nice touch but.. N64, Virtual Console, Game Cube........ it came out on every single one. I think Nintendo focuses on the remakes just to satisfy the fans while they are working on new titles (Wind Waker comes to mind, they are working on a new Zelda..).
    The fact that they have to do remakes, is probably proof that there isn't much good 3rd party games yet. I bet if the Wii U library starts getting all those 3rd party games at the same time as PS3 or 360 there will be a lot less of Nintendo Remakes. What annoys me, is seeing so much attention on remakes in these kind of websites, while they should try to put more pressure on for new games.

21. ultra_slb Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 21:32

instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

You have some good ideas, they could pick some series up, and maybe do sequels.. not just the remakes.As for the Mario Bros in 2D I think we could get a nice pause now.. they are starting to look the same every single one of them, now we had one in HD.. it was cool but there seems to be a bit of a lack of fresh ideas.

22. Waldy565 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 22:37

Will read in a bit, skimmed through to see what games you picked... Like Anouma-san has done,I know we haven't got the new one, but while we wait for the one after that, I'd love to see the original Animal Crossing game be re-made for Wii U. But honestly, they've picked the best game to remake if I'm honest... We all want an F-Zero remake, and, only recently getting into the series via SF643D, I'd love to see a Star Fox game for Wii U (make Adventures good, it looks good, but from what I've heard/seen, it's bad.) Either that or make a new Star Fox game :D... Other than that, well, we don't need Luigi's Mansion (which I ordered and recieved today xD). I'd also, like many, love a new Metroid, but Prime won't be remade due to Prime Triology...

23. Waldy565 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 22:44

I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog, well, the 20 mins I can remember playing it from my youth... But yeah, I agree, while his game wasn't the best, I actually prefer Shadow to Sonic in terms of character... Plus red and black are my fave colours, and his mood is my perfect moody teenage match haha... But I love myself a bit of Sonic too, one or more of the Adventure games would be cool!

24. linkfinity Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 23:51

Killer7... That is all.

25. kingeo Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 10:13

We need Eternal Darkness,Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion at least as a player's control releases as the 2 pikmin games since it's impossible to find them new for good prices here in Europe at least.
    I never understood why they never released them.

26. skyluigi Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 13:39

I LOVED Doshin the Giant! To be honest, I'd rather see a 3D remake for the 3DS. Same for Sunshine!
    Hey, Mario 64 got a DS remake, Sunshine deserves a 3D one! :D

27. leo1904 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 23:16

I think that wave race blue storm would be a great HD remake for the WiiU. They'd be able to configure the controls for the gyro sensors in the gamepad, instead of using the control sticks. And those evening background at the beach were fantastic in the first place, never mind in HD on the WiiU!

28. ihuntermusic Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 23:17

I can see why they are releasing WW but I'd rather not think about other Gamecube Games to be remade. It feels like a cheek to be honest. They may get a bigger audience but the Wii U still has a long way to go and talk of remakes at this stage just doesn't feel right. In a few years time if the Wii U doesn't do as well as hoped, will they just remake Wii U games on a future console? I'd much rather have them available on the Virtual Console than have remakes.

29. leo1904 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 23:21

Hey, Mario 64 got a DS remake, Sunshine deserves a 3D one! :D

Personally, I think both of those games need a large playing area and the 3DS can't give them that, 3D or not. On the WiiU, you can have great expanses of fields and beaches in glorious HD! And they're making a 3D mario for the WiiU; they could use the same techniques in these two remakes, if they make them! *fingers crossed*

30. Laughlyn Friday 8th Feb 2013 at 02:34

Where the GC is concerned is wher ethe beauty of softmodding comes in. With a component cable and a GC bootloader for the wii you can run NTSC games in 480p, obviously its not a full overhaul but F-Zero GC looks incredible with the extra sharpness. either that or get an import GC and a component cable (near 60 on ebay for the cable alone)

personally out of them all i'd love a new version of f-zero. GX was incredible, took me ages to beat it but finally got gold in hardest difficulty, the halfpipe course with no edges was pure evilness but there was some truly gorgeous courses in it.

31. Gorsewaygirl Friday 8th Feb 2013 at 13:15

Yes because I really want to buy a new Wii U console so I can buy games I have already bought and played already for a second time...

32. m_lockier Friday 8th Feb 2013 at 15:06

I personaly would like to see them remake FIre Emblem: Path of Raidence but also put Fire Emblem: Raident Dawn on the same disk making it one grand game, just update the grpahics to HD so it's no so blocky and I will be happy.

The other would be Havest Moon: A wounderful Life as the trully only decent Havest Moon game (well the only I've fully enjoyed)

and of course ChibiRobo a game that didn't get the full attention it deserved, a fantastic game that neeeds to played and enjoyed.

33. Waldy565 Friday 8th Feb 2013 at 17:39

Yes, yes, a little off topic but: watching this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN0kXN2XVzg and, after seeing many Pokemon Snap videos, I now agree with the fans, I WANT A REMAKE FOR 3DS! xD

34. Waldy565 Friday 8th Feb 2013 at 17:44

COMPLETELY AGREE with the first paragraph, I wanted these games, but they sold so little, they're price is ridiculously bloated. However, I don't think it will happen for a while due to Awakening. I've only just got into Fire Emblem (got the games, what, 2 weeks ago, that is, Fire Emblem on GBA and Sacred Stones), plus Ike is awesome :)
    Other than that, HM is cool, little fact, I got HM by accident, I actually wanted Animal Crossing: WW! Yeah, good call. And I can't really comment on Chibi-Robo. Never played, looks cool enough.

35. KnuxIBF Saturday 2nd Mar 2013 at 12:53

What about Cel Damage? Or Pokemon Colosseum/XD (I'd take a sequel to these as well)?

36. linkmarth29 Saturday 2nd Mar 2013 at 22:09

If I had the choice, I'd probably remake that Star Wars the clone wars game. Good multiplayer, got a lot of time out of it.

Or sunshine.

37. linkmarth29 Saturday 2nd Mar 2013 at 22:12

Or sunshine.

Ooh, forgot sacred stones,but then again, Awakening is coming out in April. I preordered that today. :D