Mario Kart Arcade GP DX revealed

Namco Bandai's kart racer is out in Japan this summer

Did you know Namco Bandai makes Mario Kart games too? Nintendo have allowed their local rivals to develop the last two arcade iterations of the series, and there's a third on its way this year. The unfeasibly-named Mario Kart Arcade GP DX has a mixture of modes and features that might well never make it into the next console edition.

With Mario Kart 7's underwater driving and gliding, a Double Dash-style co-op mode, online functionality (including Alter-Ego mode, which creates ghosts of other past racers) and Tank! Tank! Tank!-style personal pictures, there's certainly a lot packed into each machine. There's even an appearance for Namco's own Don-chan, the main character from the rhythm action Taiko no Tatsujin series, and a themed level to go with him.

While no European release has been announced, the last two arcade efforts have reached us in the past, so we wouldn't be surprised to get a chance to try DX out in the near future.

Comments

1. CaptainSnivy Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 11:35

I've played one of the first two MK arcade games at an arcade in Devon, and from what I played, it was pretty good.

2. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:04

I really hope it comes to my local Namco FÜNscape. I think the 2nd one did some years ago. We definitely had one of them anyway.

3. 5OUNDWAVE Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 12:19

it's a shame the arcade has practically died in the uk ( ni anyway ) nothing but poker machine's now which is just wrong !

4. DingoDee Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 14:28

The arcade Mario Kart games are great, though the price is kinda high (Ł1), but it's a great laugh.

It would be brilliant if they created created a WiiU game with all the versions of these arcade games, especially now the game pad has a camera in, the feature where they take your photo and add a frame over you depending on which character you select could be included. Crazy Taxi is available in both arcades and on consoles, so why not this?

But that said, it would remove the exclusivity of the arcade game itself...

5. Targey Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 14:53

Heck yes, I loved playing the first two in the arcades. The Hollywood Bowl I often go to had the previous two Arcade GPs when they came out, so chances are they'll have this in their arcade when it arrives in the UK. Also, Double Dash-style co-op mode? That's awesome.

6. KH81314 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 17:18

The arcade Games are enjoyable but I think Having them on the console are better. Not fair to compare console games to arcade ones though.

7. smash-brother Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 18:30

maybe you can port it to wii u or 3ds as a download or fullprice with the last two arcade efforts 8)

8. thenintendoer Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 18:33

would love to play this tried out the first one a few years back and absolutly loved it even if the items button was broken

9. shy guy 64 Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 19:08

who's that character behind the map on screenshot 3?

10. abovethewell Wednesday 6th Feb 2013 at 21:24

It's a shame to think the arcades are dying... I hope they get this for the arcade at the Trafford Centre, that would make my day!

11. CDS Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 09:40

I've played the first two, to mixed results. Some had broken item buttons and one even had a very stiff acceleration gear.
    But both are great, and I expect great things from this one.

As for arcades being dead, I'd say it's more like less maintenance on them. Any holiday park or bowling alley has a flourishing arcade. Although it would be nice to have standalone arcades.

12. shy guy 64 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 10:55

who's that character behind the map on screenshot 3?

never mind found out who it was

13. Waldy565 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 12:14

I'm gonna petition for an arcade of arcade machines in Derby so we can get this and I can play it locally, I commend the Japanese for still making Arcade places popular, I suppose we do too, but only in places like, er, Blackpool...

14. Mr Roboto Friday 8th Feb 2013 at 18:46

Please port this over to Wii U

It will boost hardware sales for months!