Top 10 best Satoru Iwata moments

From questioning the parentage of Reggie to the WarioWare cameo and those bananas, here's why we love Nintendo's boss

What other company President would be seen scratching his bottom in a game trailer, wearing a massive Google camera on his back or staring at bananas for no reason just after unveiling a major console? No one and that's why we love Satoru Iwata!

The greatest thing about Iwata is that he actually started out as a programmer, working on Balloon Fight for NES. He actually knows what it's like to make games and that shows in his fascinating series of Iwata Asks interviews [laughs]. The second greatest thing about Iwata? Unboxing a Wii U with white gloves. Don't ever retire!

Anyway, here are some of the funniest moments in Iwata's 11 years as President. No, it doesn't include Vitality Sensor.

1. So Reggie. Who's your Daddy? (2005)

Let's take you back to 2004. Reggie make an amazing entrance by declaring: "My name is Reggie, I'm about kicking ass and taking names and we're about making games." Cue raucous whoops. A year later, here's Iwata's response

"My name is Iwata. I'm about making games..." Cue nervous laughter. "And I'm about playing games. Last night I played Super Smash Bros. That's my game. I kicked some you know what." Cue a few claps from the back.

"And I took his name. His name was Reggie. As Nintendo President I'm also about asking questions. So Reggie? Who's... your... Daddy?"

That response took 59 seconds. Iwata would get funnier. In about five years time...

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page

Comments

1. sgotsch Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 13:47

Whats with the obsession of staring at fruits and vegetable? :shock:

2. kallymsmarties Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 14:03

WHOS YOUR DADDY! XD. I absolute love Iwata. Love the banana one too XD, Was like the best Nintendo Direct ever! This is why I love Nintendo, Because they do it in such amazing and fun ways and they don't look bored to announce it. Iwata is somebody I would love to sit and meet and just talk gaming too and see how good he actually is.

3. Ben of Bordeaux Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 15:18

Satoru Iwata is a great CEO and fits perfectly in what the 'Nintendo Touch' is. Competence and fun.

4. abovethewell Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 18:46

Only this man could be a Nintendo CEO. No one else would mach his random brilliance. Or brilliant randomness? But that's the thing, he's like Borris Johnson- He comes across as a fun guy, but is also brilliant at his job and knows what he's doing (I think :P).

5. lazy_by_choice Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 19:51

Everything Satoru Iwata does is hilarious! I think the non specific action figure was pure randomness but that's what made it so AWESOME :D

6. Trilink Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 22:30

Satoru Iwata has easily obtained "Legendary" status. No other CEO does what he does. He started as programmer and worked his way up to CEO. He knows how to make games, how complicated they can be. He's in touch with the developers clearly with segments like "Iwata Asks". This man continuously affirms his position as my role model.

For me he can virtually do no wrong. He's easily passionate about games and has a good business sense too. How many CEO's take a pay cut? Ive always said, the MPs in this country need to look at how Japan deals with accountability, specifically i point them to the case of Iwata and his pay cut situation. He even has pretty good English for a 2nd language.
    I dont know of any other CEO's who do things like "Iwata Asks" or "Nintendo Directs".

For me the days he leaves Nintendo and dies will be deeply saddening. The investors should not be against this man. They need to support him and keep it at the helm of Nintendo where he rightly belongs.

I hope he can continue to be be CEO of Nintendo for another 20 years providing his health remains well enough to do so.
    He has done so much for Nintendo, and I actually feel I sort of know the guy without having ever met him. He comes acorss as a humble, funny and intelligent man.

I never saw E32006 where Iwata said that Smash Bros bit. One of my favourite moments right now. I actually love it when Iwata says in his Nintendo Directs that "we are bringing this directly to you" then reaches out to us. The Lego Iwata epitomises it perfectly. I really loved the WiiU unboxing Iwata's mannerisms were so humble. Hopefully in future Nintendo Directs and at this years E3 he will continue to be a humble, funny and honest man.

Here's to you Satoru Iwata, keep up the great work and may you have all the success in the future you so rightly deserve whether it be in business or in your personal life!

7. Waldy565 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 23:02

All of them made me madly grin! Especially liked "Reggie - Who's your Daddy?" Might go watch that again :P Loved the Tamadochi (?) vid, I REALLY wanted that game when I first found out about it, still do if I'm honest... Come on Iwata-san, make it happen! :D

8. Waldy565 Thursday 7th Feb 2013 at 23:07

Well said my man! And I completely agree, especially with: and I actually feel I sort of know the guy without having ever met him. He comes acorss as a humble, funny and intelligent man.
    Here, here! Here's to (hopefully) another 20 years of the legendary Iwata-san!

9. MartinIsAwesome Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 12:56

Only just got around to reading this list, but it's a graet one nonetheless. If this keeps up, I think it coudl be worth having a regular ONM Award for him, or one named in his honor.

10. PikachuKJ Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 18:27

I also loved him in lego. This is the resn we love nintendo. Iwata isn't afraid to have a laugh and this is what helps make the games so entertaining.

11. Version10.151 Sunday 24th Feb 2013 at 20:07

'I will now change back into normal Iwata'
    *Changes into Satoru Shibata*

12. Captain Kuchiki Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 10:43

When there was the 3DS troubles and he took a 50% pay-cut instead of firing employees to save money. That was a pretty kickass moment from Iwata.

13. redeye Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 13:26

The man is a god! :P

14. Darkblizz Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 17:27

I only clocked his cameo in Smooth Moves a few days ago...