Nintendo games that need to make a comeback on Wii U this year

What are the unannounced games that will be released for Wii U before the end of 2013? Here's Chris Rooke's wish list!

We're still recovering from Nintendo Direct a couple of weeks ago when Satoru Iwata announced that many big Nintendo franchises would be storming onto Wii U this year. Yet it seems that Nintendo isn't resting on its laurels with promises from Iwata that fan favourites are coming, and that more unannounced games will be coming later this year. So what could be next?

The Wii's lifespan was filled with calls for various franchises to be revived by Nintendo, and as we've seen veterans such as Kid Icarus being brought back to stardom, nothing can really be written off. Except Mario Typing, perhaps.

Anyway, here are the Wii U games on my wish list.

Metroid

I've been so disappointed with the Metroid franchise (or more importantly the lack thereof) recently, especially given the series's 25th anniversary passed recently with literally no fanfare. While Other M's story was a bit rubbish (and crazily patriarchal too), the gameplay was really excellent.

I'd really like to see a new Metroid game, but a third-person one. While the Prime series was excellent, I preferred Other M's style, and I think the Prime series has had it's time. I'd prefer to see newer gameplay styles, especially something that uses the GamePad to great effect. Although, maybe scanning should be included - I could see that working really well with the GamePad and accelerometer.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next page

Comments

1. Herbert_Rarr Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 08:32

here are the five Wii U games on my wish list.

2. Herbert_Rarr Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 08:53

here are the Wii U games on my wish list.

3. shy guy 64 Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 09:31

i wouldnt mine seeing games in those series

though to be fair its only been just over a couple years since the last metroid game

4. LOZanges Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 09:56

I want to see Zack and Wiki two, with co-op gamepad puzzles!

5. vtheyoshi Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 10:34

I have one word for you:
    Okami.

6. natchoman 456 Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 11:27

i would like to see pokemon stadium to wii u

7. adamatsu Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 11:43

in general, games need to make a comeback on wii u. come on nintendo release some games already!

8. Samster296 Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 11:53

I really hope we do get another Star Fox and Metroid game soon. I can see Pokémon Snap as more of an e-shop title. F-Zero is the game I really want to see on the Wii U.

9. MJTH Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 12:19

I'm surprised that there is no F-Zero on this list, but I definitely agree that Zack and Wiki does need to make a return. Nintendo should really just buy that franchise off of Capcom, along with De blob (from who ever owns that now THQ went under).

Metroid is a no brainer to be honest. It's obviously going to come at some point. Other M was was actually pretty good in terms of it's gameplay (except for the first person moments). As long they make a similar game, but much less linear and with not as contrived a plot they could be in for a great way to continue the franchise.

I find it quite funny how Nintendo hasn't perfectly picked up on what people truly like about StarFox considering the 3 best games in the franchise are pretty much the same game. StarFox 3DS was a remake of starfox 64 which was itself a re-imagining of starfox on the SNES. If they just used that mould and made some new levels everyone would be happy!

10. franksello Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 12:24

A new F Zero game is long over due, just hoping with the 30p release of the original on eshop in a week or so, will see renewed interest at large for this greatly loved series

11. Scraggy man Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 12:32

Zack and Wiki 2 would be a dream. He is a pirate that solves puzzles using animals which he turns into tools using his best friend a flying monkey which turns into a bell all to get the ultimate treasure. Whats not to like?

12. MrFamicom Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 12:44

why one earth Nintendo doesn't have mmo pokemon game or a pokemon game just like on the handhelds on wiiu is beyond me. It would sell systems like hot cakes.

Pokemon snap would be best suited for a eshop release and for a capcom game they should make a nintendo vs capcom could be a big potential system seller.

13. wghtmf Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 13:13

I am currently playing Zack and Wiki for the first time and I must say it's absolutely fantastic. I can see myself being disappointed when it ends that there are no other games in the series.

14. Xenobladeperson Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 14:12

If they went back to Super Metroid and Prime 1 style non-linearity and fixed the controls, Other: M 2 would be possible.

But we'd all prefer a Prime 4 on WiiU and a 2D scroller on 3DS combo.

15. Mr Roboto Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 16:18

Great selection!

Those games need to happen on Wii U for sure!

16. Dan-the-Wii-man Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 16:19

I have one word for you:
    Okami.

17. me4ndubz Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 17:31

i would like to see pokemon stadium to wii u

Yes Okami would be amazing! I would love to see that on Wii U :D

18. sambrown64 Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 18:48

I loved Zack & Wiki. If they release a sequel on the Wii U then I might consider picking up the console, or rent one at least.

19. NickallowBros Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 19:01

Um... Donkey Kong Country? How on earth could you forget that?

20. ZodiacXYZ Saturday 9th Feb 2013 at 22:03

My unending love for Zack & Wiki to return knows no bounds.

21. KH81314 Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 14:01

I agree with Metroid but the other I can go without

22. franksello Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 14:54

1080 Snowboarding, a true classic N64 game, Avalanche on GameCube was great too, surely now is the time for a return to the series? Just please no dodgy motion controls

23. smash-brother Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 15:43

i would like to see new ice climber and balloon fight on-shop

24. smash-brother Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 15:44

can you rent consoles

25. Waldy565 Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 19:25

Agree with all apart from Zack and Wiki (haven't played), and all but Zack and Wiki could make an appearance in Nintendo Land 2! (or DLC) ... Yeah, I'd like a new third-person metroid, I love Prime, still making my way through it, but I really want Other M as the only other Metroid game I've played is Metroid... Pokemon Snap - 3DS, whole forum on that, nuff said haha and Star Fox I adore, even though only game in the series I've played was last christmas with SF643D.... and Starwing on SSBB, have I spelt that right? Can't remember...

26. Waldy565 Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 19:33

As for games I'd like to see... Well, still want a Hoenn remake (Groan! Not that argument again!) No, no, I'm not gonna start that on hear... Erm, I'm gonna throw a curveball in the works, I want a new proper Spyro game! After Sonic, Spyro was my first video game character. I loved him, his universe, everything about him, back in the good old PS1 days (sorry guys :P)... Yeah, that'll do me, all other major games have either a) been mentioned or b) been confirmed to have info at E3

27. dizzy boy Sunday 10th Feb 2013 at 23:32

What ever nintendo is working on, I'm hoping they aren't rushing them through. They have a few good out of house development studios they can source work too, so I'm hoping nintendo have made good use of them.

28. Tazer_Silverscar Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 12:47

People have been asking for all of these things for years.

Pokemon as an MMO requires a huge ammount of data, probably surpassing anything you'll have seen prior, thus pushing their online system way beyond its current limits. Not only that, but Nintendo haven't done an MMO before, so they have no experience in that field.

Pokemon Snap may become available for Wii U, but likely as a Virtual Console title, not as a completely new title. This is because the demand for it is a lot less than many people think. Nintendo Vs Capcom requires one company to agree on it. Capcom. They make a lot of Vs games as it is, so I'm not sure they'll agree.

As much as people online ask for it, there simply isn't enough demand for a Hoenn remake, so it's not gonna happen. Also the Hoenn series simply wasn't as influencial as the originals and the GS series. Spyro though! I agree that he's been in hibernation for way too long and needs to spread his wings. NOT as a Skylander, mind. Skylanders sucks!

29. AnotherCastle Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 13:47

Pokémon Snap with panorama? That's overflowing with potential. Also, I'd like to see another Mii game: possibly a Miiverse game which would be a real-life sim but with Mii characters.

30. WOLFENFTW Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 20:50

About time the Star Fox fans spoke out! It would have great potential on Wii U and I hope Nintendo are considering it. Anyone up for a Star WOLF title :?:

Also agree that Metroid other M had excellent gameplay but wouldn't say the Prime games have had their day yet.