Pokemon X and Y: 5 things we want to learn this week

There's still so much left to learn about the first Pokemon 3DS adventures

The news that we will hear more information about Pokemon X and Y this week is very exciting. For as much as the Pokemon X and Y trailer revealed, it left us with many more questions and we're itching to learn more about what are arguably this year's biggest 3DS games.

I've been trying to work out what will be revealed, even going so far as to look back over the news stories I wrote about Pokemon Black and White to get some clues. To be honest, there's not much to be gained from that as the build up to Pokemon Black and White was rather different.

For starters, we'd seen Zorua and Zoroark before we'd even learned that the new games would be called Black and White. From there, it was a steady stream of new Pokemon from the Starters to the Legendaries and more. We'd have to wait months to discover the release date, hear that you'd only encounter new Pokemon in the wild, and for more info about Castelia City.

Now we already know that Pokemon X and Y will be released in October, that you'll be able to choose a Starter from Froakie, Fennekin or Chespin, the identity of the version mascots and that old Pokemon such as Pikachu will be making an appearance. Yet there's still lots left to learn. Here's what we can't wait to find out about Pokemon X and Y. Will it all be revealed this week? Doubt it.

1. Starter evolutions

To be honest, we'd expect more new Pokemon to be revealed before the evolutions of Froakie, Chespin and Fennekin but it would be nice to know so we can all make a final decision on which Pokemon X and Y Starter we'll choose.

Right now, my Starter of choice is Chespin, mainly because it doesn't look like anything I've seen before. Yet, what if Froakie (my least favourite Starter) has awesome evolutions?

We've seen this before. For example, I chose Oshawott in Black and White but Emboar is probably my favourite evolution. And would you choose Treecko over Torchic in Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire knowing that Torchic evolves into Blaziken?

So hopefully Chespin will have an awesome evolution but I have a hunch that Fennekin will end up being the best Starter Pokemon.

ONM forum member CaptainSnivy points out that we'll probably see some sort of early bird or rat Pokemon but the first Pokemon showcased for Black and White after Zorua, Zoroark and the Starters/Legendaries were actually quite interesting. You had the Dream Eater Munna, Klink, Gigalith and Darmantian. We had to wait for a long time to see Trubbish!

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. DynamicPunch202 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 16:05

I personally want to learn more about the new legendarys, We still don't know their types or why their legendarys. I want to know what kind of amazing powers they have. Though I would like to see the starter evolutions, since I still haven't made up my mind on which starter.

2. shy guy 64 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 16:08

i dont think we'll see the starter evolutions for a while

3. Tamzily01 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 16:17

Finding out more about the new region would be nice. You can usually gain a decent amount of information by looking at the artwork for them.

4. DisgruntledGoat Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 16:31

Come on, clearly the #1 thing everybody is hoping for is "oh God please let Fennekin's evolution NOT be Fire/Fighting!"

5. Dylan Tetlow Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 17:13

i like the look of the new legendary but i think they need some good powers otherwise they will just look like stantler and mandibuzz evolutions :)

6. Ollie Raiden Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 17:49

I realised, with Black and White, that I seem to have a pattern with starters. Gen 1 and 2 were Charmander and Cyndaquil, Gen 3 and 4 were Treecko and Turtwig, Gen 5 was Oshawott so Gen 6 I'll be picking Froakie.
    Also, my level 100 Sceptile from Gen 3 is still with me, never really cared about Blaziken that much.
    Now to read the other 4 pages :D

Also, THIS!

7. KH81314 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 18:07

The evolutions are what i'm waiting for most. New pokemon would also be nice to see.

8. Combusken Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 18:16

Instead of Fennekin's evolution being Fire/Fighting I would rather see Chespin's evolution get the Fighting type with Grass/Fighting.

I also hope Fennekin's evolution ends being Fire/Dark.

9. Scraggy man Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 18:33

A good solid story this time. Mix it up from Gyms and Elite four and have us be backtracking and exploring. A bit like in Diamond and Pearl when you had to get to the libary and then run to all three lakes. Also a few new Pokemon can never hurt.

10. RiksilveR Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 18:53

I have to say I'm more interested in the legendaries and the story than the starter evolutions. Pokemon really needs to pay more attention to the storytelling, and the legendaries would no doubt play a large part in that.
    And I have to admit, I want to see some diagonal walking. It's not just that X and Y are in 3D and they deserve it; it's the fact that it'll be an easy source of ridicule for the cynics, and I really want these games to succeed. With any luck we just haven't seen any yet because its an early demo and they're keeping it gridlocked for now.

11. HughPR Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 19:57

Never was a truer word spoken! I loved Blaziken, then Infernape (imo) was meh, and Emboar I just couldn't see the point (although when I restarted White 2 and had all 3 starters I have to admit that he was good). Pure fire would be nice :)

The thing is, I said that about 4th and 5th, as did many I think; so far I'm not amazed, but Nintendo well and truly have their pokeclaws into me (and have done since R/B), and I won't be able to let go. I'll want to...during a couple of months of hype, but as soon as GAME allows pre-orders complete with a little legendary figurine, I'm sold, and I will wait anxiously in the weeks leading up to release. Curse you pokemon!!!

12. fisher2007 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 21:35

Finding out about Yveltal, Xerneas also other new legendaries.

13. awesomeadam15 Monday 11th Feb 2013 at 22:51

I would be extremely pleased if Game Freak announced that there would be more than one save file, I'm sick of having to delete all my hard work if I want to start a new game or do the Nuzlocke challenge, come on Game Freak throw me a bone here!

14. PikachuKJ Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 00:09

I hope there will be customisation, cool evolutions, an awesome story and an ability to walk diagonally. Hopefully we will get some good news very soon. I'm still getting it regardless (already preordered). I can't wait to see new pokemon and images.

15. Mew3 Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 09:06

Serebii have some info RIGHT NOW!

16. BrychanCymru Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 09:24

New Pokémon Ninfia revealed in CoroCoro

its a new eeveelution btw follow this link: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/New_Pokémon_Ninfia_revealed_in_CoroCoro

17. zappy27 Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 11:02
  18. oh seven Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 21:44

When they said about global release etc. it got me thinking it would be pretty neat to have a globe-trotting scenario. Planes have been introduced before and even space travel so it shocks me that we haven't been able to venture to another region since Gold & Silver. I would quite enjoy the idea of travelling around the world leading to an eventual global tournament. Could have different modes of transport to move between continents (which would act as mini-regions) such as a ship or underground train (like the channel tunnel) etc. and then once you have cleared that continent the airport opens to allow you to travel between all visited continents.

19. themightyboar Tuesday 12th Feb 2013 at 22:08

the thinner pikachu gets the weaker he gets bring back fat pikachu in old games he was a force even in emerald my lv 55 pikachu took down a lv 65 salamance after being toxic-ed. he was strong enough to become a starter in pokemon yellow what happened to that? if things carry on by this version he will basically be a yellow magikarp