Nintendo Direct 3DS: 8 things we want to be announced

New Zelda 3DS, Pokemon X and Y news and more! Tom reveals his wish list...

So Nintendo have announced another Nintendo Direct, this time focusing on 3DS. If it's anything like the Wii U Nintendo Direct last month we'll be in for a treat. When Nintendo announced that they'd be showcasing new Wii U games, we were honestly expecting to see Resident Evil Revelations Wii U which had been announced a day earlier and perhaps new trailers for LEGO City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate.

Instead, Nintendo used the broadcast to showcase Monolith's new Wii U game and Bayonetta 2, announce Zelda: Wind Waker Wii U, Mario Kart Wii U and tell us that the team behind Mario Galaxy would be working on the new 3D Mario game for Wii U.

So what do we expect from Nintendo Direct 3DS? Well, if it's anything like last month's show we should expect more than some new Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon footage. Here are eight things I want from Nintendo Direct 3DS...

1. The Legend Of Zelda 3DS

Given that the new Zelda Wii U adventure is a long way off, wouldn't it be great to have Link's next new adventure on 3DS? When I say new, I mean new. I don't want a Link To The Past or a Majora's Mask remake right now. I want something all-new.

It would be about time. After all, we've had two new Mario platformers on 3DS yet Nintendo's other main man/boy has only been seen in the Ocarina Of Time 3D remake. Phantom Hourglass was released in October 2007, two years after the DS launch and considering 3DS launched in 2011, the time is right for a new Zelda adventure on a handheld.

Nintendo have spoken about Zelda's future on 3DS but, although Eiji Aonuma sent out a Letterbox message on 3DS teasing new Zelda adventures, (pictured above) we know very little about the direction Link's next voyage will take.

Miyamoto has also talked about making a new game, using Link To The Past as a starting point. It would be wonderful to hear more about it during Nintendo Direct. With Wind Waker Wii U being revealed last month, a big announcement during is not out of the question!

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page

Comments

1. reeesy Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:04

Some nice ideas. Love the idea of a new Zelda, Metroid or Donkey Kong Country.
    An Fzero game would be nice too, but i'm not holding my breath on that one.
    Can't wait to find out more tomorrow!

2. shy guy 64 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:05

not unreasonable things to wish for i suppose

3. Mew3 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:10

My list:
    1. X and Y news
    2. More x and y news
    3. Complete list of exclusive pokemon for x and y
    4. Complete list of non-exclusive pokemon for x and y

As you can see, it's very hard to notice which is my most anticipated game :D

4. Nintendalek42 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:16

I'd love a new 2D DK game after the excellent DKCR, but I'd rather it was a Wii U game so we can enjoy lush HD jungles. In my opinion DKCR was superior to recent Mario offerings, offering variety, diversity and difficulty, and only being a slight let down in multiplayer. Although with the arrival of Yarn Yoshi on Wii U, I guess we can forget it, or if it does happen it can only be on 3DS. Maybe next year. We don't need a new Mario every year, sparse releases make for more creativity and more enjoyment of individual games.I felt NSMB2, though fun, lacked personality.

5. mrmariomaster Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:18

is that tomodachi game a bit like animal crossing, a life sim?

6. kingeo Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:19

New Zelda D 3ds,Majora's Mask 3D,Dragon Quest VII remake.

7. tomonm Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:20

I realised I completely forgot about the Animal Crossing: New Leaf release date. Make that 9 things!

8. tomonm Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:21

New Zelda D 3ds,Majora's Mask 3D,Dragon Quest VII remake.

And I meant to include Dragon Quest VII in my list of Japanese games!

9. Dalekbuster523 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:27

Donkey Kong Country returns would be amazing on 3DS. I hope Official Nintendo Magazine have correctly predicted that one. It'd be one of the most exciting 3DS news to me.

I also want to see Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright confirmed for UK release. I see no reason as to why it wouldn't be released in the UK seeing as the other Professor Layton and Ace Attorney games have been released here.

10. nintendo rules Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:39

luigi mansion 2 release date and black 3ds xl release date

11. alexkinch Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:43

How about everyone gets a free download of mario advance for gba in vc. This will be to celebrate the new gba vc on 3ds going live as soon as this direct is over!!!

12. blu fire Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:53

1. New Zelda for 3ds- chances are pretty good
    2. Majoras mask remake- not likely
    3.Gameboy advance,Better NES gmaes,SNES games and N64 games to be released- Hopefully
    4.Donkey kong country 3ds- Not likely since retro is working on a Wii U project at the moment.
    5.X and Y news is a must

13. alexkinch Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:55

Also new streetpass quest 3!!!!

14. CyberGW Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 16:57

Seeing as there is a 3DS version, a new Scribblenauts Unlimited release date.
    Also Inazuma Eleven 3, Rhythm Thief 2, Luigis Mansion release date and Animal Crossing release date.

15. mushroomchow Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 17:28

Tut tut, Tom! You know the Animal Crossing release date is currently more important for us than breathing. :wink:

That Tomodachi Collection game looks amazing, though. : D

16. Herbert_Rarr Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 17:29

GBA games is highest on my list of things I want that are even slightly likely to happen, with perhaps an introductory offer/deal like they're doing with the Wii U VC.
    If I were to be absolutely crazy, I would say I'd want SEGA to announce a new 2D Sonic platformer in the style of Sonic Advance 1 and/or Mega Drive Sonic games, Mutant Mudds 2 news, and a software update to significantly reduce loading times. But that's never gonna happen.
    I don't give a **** about any Pokemon nonsense.

17. olrodlegacy Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 17:39

If by having 'more Japanese games making it to the UK' you mean more of Wii Music-standard titles, I think I'll pass.
    Agree otherwise. I want to see a new (good) Bond game, or an original high-quality FPS, which the 3DS hasn't had yet.

18. KH81314 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 17:48

Besides Ace Attorney I would love learn about all of this stuff.

19. ifsey Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 17:59

Huh. Shame on you ONM. You forgot about Fire Emblem Awakening! We want a definite release date over here! As well as the limited edition bundle and the artbook! And the music CD! And if only the 3DS bundle was a 3DS XL...

20. hannahmay Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 18:09

It's all about 1 game - Animal crossing 3ds

21. Oxo64 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 18:22

I'm just hoping for some Animal Crossing, Bravely Default and Dragon Quest localizations.

22. Erdogan44 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 18:23

Don't forget a release date for Animal Crossing.

23. Da_Epic_Fail Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 18:32

Can't disagree with a single point here. More Ace Attorney news would be good, just recently picked up Apollo Justice after half a year of trying to find a copy at a decent price. Forgot how much fun the sereis was.

The things that would make this announcement amazing for me would be more Monolith Soft stuff being announced and some Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney news. If this Nintendo Direct is as good as the last two then we're in safe hands.

24. Scraggy man Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 18:36

Yes to all of the mentioned. If even half of those games where announced the poor Vita would be forgotten.

25. Komodo_Wolfgang Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 18:53

What, you dont hope for an AC release date?

I think its innevitable. Id be VERY shocked if we dont find out.

26. faydaway Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 19:22

Ok We need more info on the thing (that might be similar to miiverse) for the 3DS
    ACE ATTORNEY V PROFESSOR LAYTON!!!! + ACE ATTORNEY 5 More info + release confirmation for AAXPL
    Animal Crossing Release Date !
    Pokemon X and Y info
    a great exiting new game revelation that is coming soon
    if at least 3 of the above are included that will make this a great nintendo direct

27. faydaway Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 19:25

[quote="Dalekbuster523"
    Only all of the Professor Layton games have been released here Ace Attorney Investigations 2 wasn't

28. Waldy565 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 19:34

Agree with MOST of the list, which is a nice surprise! :P Nah, honestly, here's my take: X and Y are a kind of given, some snippits of news have been leaked here and there, plus the popularity of the little critters is so damn huge, I think us European fans are gonna get something to speculate about. Next, I think Nintendo could surprise us and announce a 3DS Metroid. I never got to play a 2D metroid, having only Prime Triology in my Metroid collection, but I still want to try out Fusion, Super Metroid and Other M, so I'll have plenty of opportunites, even if Nintendo don't surprise us... LoZ: I'd shout with joy if it happened, but I seriously doubt gameplay will be shown. I'd love some news on it though, as it has been rumored ever since it was announced, what, a couple of years back now... MH4, yeah, there's a good chance will get some news, as I also agree with Monolith's new project, all though, with X only just being announced, maybe not... DKCR seems ludicrous, I'm sorry, just I don't see the point, I love DK as much as the next person, but I think your prediction, Tom, for 2011 was a new DKC, and we got it, so have faith in Tomnitus, ruler of all DK predictions! Finally, I'd also love to hear some news on both Layton 6 and Layton V Wright, and also about a little-known, hardly touched upon title called Fantasy Life! Or, y'know, blow us all out of the water and announce news for 3DS SSB4...!

29. Riverlution Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 19:36

I just want a new starfox game. Don't care what platform its on D:

30. Waldy565 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 19:38

I found Fire Emblem for the Wii at Cex for 20 quid, was very surprised!

31. Waldy565 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 19:39

Yes, yes, also YES!

32. CDS Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 20:08

-Release date on Animal Crossing, possible new trailer.
    -More X and Y news than we already have, but not so much as to ruin the surprise.
    -I'd love it if something SEGA was announced in this Nintendo Direct, especially Sonic, since it is rumoured for an information release half way through this month.
    -More new features onto the 3DS regarding Streetpass or something new.
    -Final confirmation on LEGO City Undercover - The Chase Begins, trailer and release date. The WiiU version has had far too much attention at the minute.

If any of what I have stated does come up, I will put Ł20 on the lottery all with the same numbers.
    If all of it comes up, I will visit every shop in the UK and put some lottey on with the same numbers.
    Does don't anyone come and rob me if any of this does come up.

33. adamatsu Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 20:12

bravely default & dragon quest 7 heading our way!

34. TheRexFactor Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 20:34

I hope they give some info on the 3DS itself (which is what I honestly expect), like the unified Nintendo accounts they spoke of before and such.

35. sambrown64 Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 21:22

Personally, I'd rather a new Donkey Kong Country than anything. The Wii one was incredible, more of that on the 3DS would do me fine.

36. Dan-the-Wii-man Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 21:57

It'll probably be announcements on EU/US localisations considering there sin't a Japanese broadcast

37. Argenthor Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 22:04

You missed out: "Information and new details about 3ds/Wii U connectivity."

With the two Wii U updates dated, how amazing would it be for Nintendo to let us know the ways that the two pieces of hardware will interact this year? Or games that will make use of it!

38. garchompkid Wednesday 13th Feb 2013 at 22:20

The reason they don't tell us the name of the eveelution is that it would give away its type.

39. MJTH Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 07:29

I think what they should do is confirm all the games we either know about from Japan, or have had leaked info/ rumours, but give me an exact release date for Fire Emblem Awakening also., They should leave the bigger announcement (new Metroid 2D game, Zelda 3DS/ Majora's Mask 3D) for E3. We may want more announcements, but we can't have E3 being a disappointment this year. Nintendo can allude to the bigger announcements, (like they did for Mario kart Wii U), but they should be shown for the first time in E3.

40. angrybaldman666 Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 08:05

I would like them to say they will start to release SNES and Megadrive games on the e-shop we all know they can do this easy so why not, or maybe some more N64 games WaveRace, F-Zero, 1080 SnowBoarding or Blast Corps they have already done Zelda and when the DS first came out they did Mario 64 and I know it called 3DS but why make every game run in 3D if the games are good people will buy them 3D or not.

41. lminett Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 08:57

Advance wars! Ive hardly seen this mentioned by anyone. Now that intelligent systems have finshed Fire emblem, they should get on to making a new 3d AW

42. TheSlenderman Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 12:18

They absolutely have to announce GBA titles for the 3DS eshop!!! They are coming to WII U, so why not??!

43. wghtmf Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 13:06

To be fair, a new 3DS Zelda game is a bit of a big ask at the moment when thy're already working on two others for Wii U.

I'd love to see new Donkey Kong Country and Metroid though.

I'm not really bothered by whether there's more X and Y news, because I'm waiting to find stuff out for myself in the actual game rather than reading about it first.

As for my own ideas, I'd like a new Sonic game if possible, as well as... actually, I probably ought to struggle through my current pile of unfinished games before getting too anticipated for more.

44. TheSlenderman Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 14:41

OMG YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. ThePsychicExtrem Thursday 14th Feb 2013 at 15:50

F-zero and a NEW star fox game is what we want! Seriously, where have those guys gone?

46. kallymsmarties Wednesday 17th Apr 2013 at 10:07

I have to admit. I quite agree with most of them things on what Thomas wants (Assuming because he did the post).
    I would like a bit more news on Pokemon and Metroid would be brilliant considering we haven't had a game from the series since I think it is 2010 with Metroid Prime: Other M. I sort of think the game Other M is the way to go because the way it is done would be spot on perfect for 3DS.

47. Wadium_Arcadium Wednesday 17th Apr 2013 at 12:12

A new Zelda for the 3DS would be the best possible outcome for me.

48. L_A Wednesday 17th Apr 2013 at 12:54

I agree with pretty much everything... ESPECIALLY n°8. Give us some Ace Attorney, Capcom! :)

49. ledreppe Wednesday 17th Apr 2013 at 13:02

New Leaf already has a release date of 14/06. Really ONM, I expect more of you than not to know that!

50. CDS Wednesday 17th Apr 2013 at 16:01

Check the date.
    This was for February's Direct. Not today's.
    Don't treat everything on the popular now tab as being posted today.

And yes, even one post will send a four year article instantly to the top of the Popular now section if no article comments have been made for a while.