Save money on Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D

Our best 3DS game ever has been reduced iin the 3DS eShop

You can save money on The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 3D if you download it from the 3DS eShop. Nintendo's 3DS classic has been reduced to £19.99 for one week only.

Ocarina Of Time 3D will be available at this reduced price until 21 February. It is a good deal as the game is currently £38.10 on Amazon.

Also, if you've never played Ocarina Of Time, you should definitely download it because not only is it a classic Zelda adventure but it is our best 3DS game of all time.

Are you going to take advantage of this deal?

Comments

1. Zaphod_B Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 10:54

I sort of feel this should be a standard price for download games if they ever want to serious compete with physical copies...

2. K-tet Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 11:16

So Nintendo's policy is to offer Ocarina of Time 3D for 19.99 for one week only so people who haven't bought games digitally before can pop that cherry? No thanks.

I'm sorry, but OoT3D is the wrong game to put on offer. New Super Mario Bros 2 would have been a better option as it would then get people to explore the coin rush packs thereafter. You can pick OoT3D up for 14.99 if you know where to look.

No dice I'm afraid.

3. tomonm Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 11:24

Well, I'd imagine that Nintendo have to have good relationships with retailers as well as fans so perhaps undercutting retailers wouldn't go down too well. That said, they could be the same price as in the shops.

4. Fidu Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 11:35

Nintendo spends money to make the physical copies in the first place, so making eShop titles a lot cheaper than boxed ones doesn't seem like a very good idea from a financial standpoint.

5. Zaphod_B Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 11:48

Very true, although at the same price I will always go for the one that I can lend to friends/play on a new 3DS/comes with a lovely printed box and manual. I can see why they don't make them cheaper, but while they don't I reckon physical sale will always be dominant on these big AAA games, at least for me personally.

I do kind of like the feel of pushing a new cartridge into my 3DS too!

6. vix_chan Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 11:52

I hope maybe they do this with some other games, I have OoT on 3 platforms already so would rather they chose a different, more newer game for that amazing price (Do paper Mario Nintendo, go on....)

7. sonicka Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 12:02

Right, but this is why the physical copies should cost more than Digital. If more money is spent towards Physical copies how does it make sense to charge for something you don't own with your own two hands?

I know it happens on the PSN and XBLN as well (although usually only around release), but to me seeing a digital copy priced 10-20 more than buying it in-store is, quite frankly, insane.

Like a lot if people have mentioned, the sale price of Zelda:OOT should really be the actual price.

We just have to hope that (like on other console online stores) they do come down in price eventually. Because it can actually be a bargin to buy online occasionally. I bought the first Darksiders on sale on the PSN Store for 3.19 yesterday. Sure, it's a game that's a few years old, but it's a price not to be scoffed at. I'd hope Nintendo can be so ballsy with their own titles one day and encourage other 3rd party developers to do the same on their eShop.

8. MartinIsAwesome Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 12:23

Regardless of what you think of Nintendo's pricing structure for the digital versions, it's at least nice to see the potential for future sales.

9. imbusydoctorwho Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 13:22

Shame they can't have offers on retail games all the time.

10. Erdogan44 Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 14:42

I would of preferred them to sell Mario 3D Land or NSMB2 at that price.

Hopefully they do.

11. Mr Roboto Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 19:44

I've got to buy 3ds this year just to play this game in 3D!

12. sivlock Friday 15th Feb 2013 at 21:29

I fail to understand how digital downloads for games are in some cases 10 pounds more than physical purchases. Is it just me or does anyone else enjoy the box and manual with the actual game? Unless the digital download prices become cheaper then I don't see the point.

13. Tams Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 01:43

While digital copies probably are in most cases quite a bit cheaper to distribute, you have to remember that they require servers to be on 24/7 and have a high bandwidth connection. There are also maintenance costs for servers, that boxed copies don't require (though the machines that make them do).

Nintendo aren't going to regularly undercut retailers anyway. OOT3D is a fairly old game, that has likely passed it's peak, so they can 'get away with it', especially as it is only for one week.

Now. Time to find somewhere with wifi that will let my 3DS connect.

As you said, Darksiders is quite an old game, and it has rather a limited audience. Sales at such (silly in my opinion) prices are only sustainable if they are done on mass, often with games at least a year old, that don't have a long lasting appeal. Nintendo games tend to still see rather high demand. As an extra note on Darksiders; it's published by a publisher that recently went bankrupt and was developed by a studio that was one of the few at THQ that wasn't snapped up by another publisher. It's really no surprise it was on sale.

The only games I can see being sustainable at such low prices, are old games (more than a just a few years) that haven't been updated. Nintendo's Virtual Console is rather overpriced.

14. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 12:04

I don't have that many 3DS games and they just had to pick one of the only games that I already have for the sale. Really? OOT3D? A game I could probably get cheaper in store anyway? What's the point Nintendo.

15. Cinaclov Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 14:59

If any of the Mario games on there was that much I'd get it in a sec. As is I already own OoT3D (along with about 5 copies of the original :P), and even then only bought my copy because I found it for 11, I think i'll pass.

Also, what happened to those cards with download codes on they mentioned near when they first offered these full game downloads? Where places like Game can sell you a card (meaning it can get discounted), you go online, type it in like an eshop card for the Wii and away you go.

16. Sex Bob-omb Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 19:17

It's 19.99 at argos

17. MewtwoLegend Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 21:04

Do places such as Game even sell us download card's for retail games? I'm hoping to have all my future retail 3DS games digitally available in my 3DS without cartridge for the sake of convenience (especially games that make use of streetpass and spotpass) but I'm not sure if there are any that do so... I would love to go and download them straight off the eShop if it wasn't for the fact they charge you almost 40 for the vast majority of them...

I do hope they continue this discount thing though and not just for Ocarina of time 3D.

18. Mahzes Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 21:42

I still can't see why anyone in their right mind would favour downloaded versions over physical copies at this stage.

Even if you ignore the fact that the downloads usually cost around 10 more than a physical copy (which, as others have said, is ridiculous, even if it is to appease retailers), there's still the fact that Nintendo's system of tying downloads to the console or handheld itself rather than an account is nothing short of idiotic.

If your 3DS is lost or stolen, you lose any physical game in the slot along with any and all games you have downloaded. Since the purchases are tied to the 3DS itself and not an account, they'll be more or less irretrievable since the only way to get them onto a new machine would be to do a system transfer from the old one, which isn't possible if it's lost or stolen.

Granted, Nintendo say that you can supposedly have your downloads reissued to a new 3DS, provided you can give them a police report to prove that your 3DS was stolen. Fair enough, but what if it wasn't stolen? What if you just happened to lose it? Yes, that's technically 'your fault' if it happens, but hey, these things do happen. And even if you did manage to retrieve your games, your save data would be lost for good.

The main advantage of downloads (aside from the convenience of having all your games in one place) is supposed to be that they're future-proof and immune to loss or theft. Except in Nintendo's case, they're anything but, and it's totally stupid. The only people who would realistically download a lot of retail games (or any at all) are people too short-sighted to think of the impact of a potential loss or theft of their 3DS, or people willing to take what is a pretty hefty risk for the sake of convenience.

19. MewtwoLegend Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 22:06

So far I know, none of my stuff have been "lost" or "stolen" except for borrowed things such as rubber's etc. And that's usually because the borrower has forgotten to give it back to me and thus I remind them to give it back if they havent done so. So I honestly don't have to worry about this since I never let people borrow my 3DS anyway's. Unless you live in a place where thing's commonly get stolen. I always keep a close eye on my more expensive belongings anyway's. And whenever I do lose something it's usually at home.

I just want some convenience while I travel without carrying so many unnecessary thing's at once and that logic can pretty much apply to anything you download off the eShop, not just retail games. Which means I would have missed out on games such as Pullblox etc if I kept having this fear of "Oh my, what if my 3DS get's lost or stolen?!?".

I can take good care of my belonging's thank you very much.

20. Mahzes Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 22:38

So can I, but I can acknowledge that accidents can and do happen. Just the other week my PSP fell out of my pocket as I got out of my seat to get off at my stop on the train to work; if it weren't for the person sat next to me letting me know and handing it back to me, I'd have lost it then and there. Fingers crossed I've never lost anything valuable either, but things like that can happen without you noticing, just saying is all.

And yes, it does apply to all eShop games; the only reason retail games are a particularly pressing issue is because they cost a hell of a lot more. Most eShop games are in the range of 7-10, but lose a 3DS with a handful of downloaded retail games or more and you'll be losing hundreds of pounds. It's a hell of a big gamble, and the sad thing is that it shouldn't be.

21. MewtwoLegend Saturday 16th Feb 2013 at 23:02

Yes accident's can happen. I can acknowledge that. But whenever I'm on the bus or train, I'm usually playing my 3DS on it anyway's. And for those time's I may do have it away. I alway's make sure to store it safely and securily in a safe place such as my shoulder bag (which I never take off on my bus trip's and it's always on my lap) and I do quickly double check if I have everything on me before I leave the area.

And yes, that's why I'm hoping Nintendo to do more price cut's on their eShop retail game's (even if temporarily as is the case with Ocarina of Time 3D) or retailer's to give download code's so I wouldn't have to pay them 40 for those games. Even I would never pay that much when I can just get the retail version for much much cheaper in store. Then I'd rather get the cartridge.

But like I said, I always keep a close eye on my belonging's, especially my more expensive belonging's. So I should be fine. Don't worry.

22. Mahzes Sunday 17th Feb 2013 at 08:57

That's good to hear. :)

But even so, remember not everyone is as careful (or lucky, in some cases), and that these things still happen to people, even more likely with children.

Even if it doesn't affect me much personally, I still think it's really foolish of Nintendo to still have such a flawed system without any alternative.

23. aoun Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 21:59

Downlloading it right now! Cant wait! not exactly a zelda fan...soooooooo hope it was a good gamble :mrgreen: