Nintendo's biggest new 3DS eShop games

Will you be downloading any of these games?

The eShop is usually associated with independent studios but Nintendo also publish some classic games on the 3DS digital store. The mighty Pullblox is probably the best 3DS eShop game and its sequel Fallblox is brilliant, too. Then you've got Vanpool's Dillon's Rolling Western and Nintendo also ensured that Level 5's Guild01 compilation wouldn't be overlooked by bringing three of the games to Europe, including the amazing Crimson Shroud.

The Mushroom Kingdom supplied Nintendo Direct's biggest announcements last week with new Mario, Luigi and Donkey Kong games unveiled for 3DS but don't forget about Nintendo's eShop games. Here are five games that Nintendo are bringing to the eShop in 2013.

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger

We don't have many new Nintendo heroes these days. So few in fact that the unveiling of Nabbit in New Super Mario Bros U was celebrated more than perhaps it should have been. That's why it was great to play as Dillon in Dillon's Rolling Western who was the first new Nintendo hero I can remember since Chibi Robo! If Dillon had been around in the 1990s he probably would have been a world famous platform star. Instead, he's a silent star of a strategy game that has you desperately rolling around the desert attempting to stop armies of Grocks invading a town.

You roll around collecting scruffles during the day which are needed to feed the scrogs - the creatures who live in the village - while entering mines for ore will earn your money you'll need to build up your gun towers which help you take out the grocks at night. It's the sort of game that makes you angry as after meticulously building up your defences and grabbing every scruffle, the grocks knock down your towers when you're on the other side of the field, locked in battle against an enemy who survives your rolling attacks. You'll still want to go in for more punishment through

At first glance, it looks very similar to the original with Dillon pictured picking up scruffles, sprucing up his towers and getting into rolling battles with grocks but the news that you'll also have to defend a moving train in each level will shake things up as you might not be able to camp by your town as you may have to stay close to the steam train as it is attacked and watch as a grock stomps agonisingly towards the gates.

However, you do have new allies who will help you out - the strong but greedy lizard Gunman Gallow, the foolish but powerful bear Boon and the mysterious squid assassin Nomad.

Whether you'll want to return for more punishment has yet to be seen. The first game was on the cusp of being too repetitive but it had enough character to pull it through.

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger will be released in the US on 11 April. A UK release date has yet to be confirmed.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. sambrown64 Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 16:11

I think I'll definitely be getting HarmoKnights and Mario vs. Donkey Kong! The eShop seems to have a lot more to offer than retail games, recently!

2. shy guy 64 Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 16:20

i'll probably get harmo knight when it comes out

3. Tailzy Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 16:28

Harmoknight will be my first download since pullblox came out

The mighty Pullblox is probably the 3DS eShop and its sequel Fallblox is brilliant, too.

best to check what you've put before posting in future

4. KH81314 Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 16:36

Thise are the two I want most. Might get Dino's rolling Western 2.

5. 3ds234 Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 16:41

I'll get Splash or Crash,Dillions rolling western 2 and Mario and Donkey Kong if they're cheap(under 5 euro)

6. Zaphod_B Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 18:03

Harmoknights for sure. Own, but haven't really played Dillon's Rolling Western yet, so how much I like that will decide if the sequel gets some precious 3DS blocks to itself!

7. jaco_p Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 18:29

i'll be getting at least a couple of these. First message posted from the WiiU!

8. vix_chan Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 18:54

The only one i am not too sure about is DRW2, i have the first game, but if it is going to be too much of the same thing i think i will pass.

9. Herbert_Rarr Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 20:25

I was surprised by a new Dillon's Rolling Western and might check that out.
    'Bout it.

10. Cinaclov Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 20:42

Code of Princess looks kind of interesting, if only because of the Tales' vibe I'm getting off it. Whilst I'm far from excited I'll try and keep an eye on it, see what people rate it and maybe try it if it's cheapish.

11. fisher2007 Monday 18th Feb 2013 at 21:30

harmo knight.

12. IG-42 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 00:15

waiwaiwait dillon's rolling western is getting a sequel?
    why didn't anyone mention this before!?!

13. lazy_by_choice Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 05:39

Code of Princess piqued my interest; however will probably make a firm decision after the price is revealed and the rating overall.

14. hunter metroid Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 13:27

im getting splash or crash, dillions rolling western (loved the original) and mario versus donkey kong

15. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 13:58

I love the look of both Harmo Knight and the new Mario vs Donkey Kong so they'll definitely be on my shopping list. Code of Princess looks pretty good too with plenty of beat 'em up style action that my thumbs have been craving. The fact that the trailer features someone attacking with the power of ROCK(!!) is a deal clincher.

16. TheSlenderman Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:51

As long as it ain't Ł9, I think I'll go for DRW2. I reckon that it will be good.

17. smash-brother Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 18:43

Thise are the two I want most. Might get Dino's rolling Western 2.

it be dillion