Chrono Trigger beats Mario and Zelda in Games Radar's 100 best games of all time

But what is the highest placed Nintendo game?

Chrono Trigger is the best game to have appeared on a Nintendo console. That's according to Games Radar who placed the SNES RPG ahead of Mario and Zelda games in their top 100 best games of all time.

Chrono Trigger was only beaten by Portal 2 in the poll which featured five Nintendo games in the top ten. Just behind Chrono Trigger at number 3 was Super Metroid while The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker reached number 5.

The highest placed Mario game is Super Mario Bros 3 at number seven and The Legend Of Zelda: Link To The Past scraped into the top 10 at number nine.

Super Mario Galaxy - regarded by many to be the best Mario game - is at number 13, making it the highest rated Wii game. Metroid Prime (18) is the top GameCube title, Tetris DS (23) is the best DS title and Mario Kart 7 (48) takes the title of top rated 3DS game.

Paper Mario represents N64 at 81 (although Star Fox 64 3D is at 67) and Donkey Kong Game Boy gets a mention at 74.

Other big games in the top 100 include Resident Evil 4 (28), Super Smash Bros Brawl (32), Mega Man 2 (37), Pokemon Black and White (39), Yoshi's Island (45), Advance Wars (47), Secret Of Mana (83), and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (93).

There was no place for Ocarina Of Time, Majora's Mask or Mario 64.

What do you think of the list? What's your number one Nintendo game?

Comments

1. row101 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 08:58

Nonsense.

Zelda Ocarina of time, and skyward sword should have been in the top ten, with skyward sword No.1. Mario galaxy should also be in the top ten. ONM's top 100 was far better. I don't mind a few PS and Xbox titles, but Portal should not be No.1. Chrono trigger wasn't even that good, can't compare to Zelda. And no super Mario bros? Really? Super mario bros should have been in at least the top 20.

2. NP Chilla Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 09:18

What a bizarre list - it's filled with so many obscure and really recent games which rank so highly.

Who came up with it? Was there a vote?

3. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 09:46

I wonder where Sonic was.

4. MrGooseyMoose Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 10:16

That's a very, uh...strange list

5. Mello Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 10:47

Not that these lists are ever really all that important, but yeah that strikes me as a bit of an esoteric list. Wonder if Ocarina and Mario 64 were omitted for not holding up as well as newer games in the series, because in terms of influence those two games pretty much informed how 3D third person games are played.

EDIT - yep turns out they're being critical of games that don't stand up as well.

First, some ground rules. Our list ranks the best games to play today, and that's also why we refresh this list every year. Games like GoldenEye might be historically important, but they’re not necessarily what we’d pick up and play right now.

I'm not gonna be too critical of Chrono Trigger getting such a high result though, it's a classic RPG and many consider it the best of all time of it's genre. Prefer FF7 myself but then the cyberpunk style combined with the fact it was my first FF game combined with all the melodrama in the game are big reasons why it is my favourite.

The thing to remember is that 99% of us would probably write a list that loads and loads of other people would disagree with, so these things are only really any good if you take a boring objective approach to it. Even then people would disagree; Nintendo fans would always complain there isn't enough Nintendo, PC gamers would do the same and so on.

6. alexjones94 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 10:52

Chrono Trigger is an absolutely stunning game and while I personally enjoyed the likes of Galaxy marginally more, that's just down to taste. It's nice to see Chrono Trigger getting some recognition, it's regularly overlooked.

7. JamieRIOT Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 11:56

Top 100 lists are opinions. Some people would agree entirely with their list, most won't. Portal 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, but I wouldn't put it at number 1.

8. Spyrolad Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 12:04

bull

9. ikkytack Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 12:30

um... think you overlooked mother 3 at 31, ONM...

That game is godly

10. debris Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 12:45

No Super Mario 64!!, I'm calling <deleted> on this list, plus where the hell was Jet Set Willy......... They seemed to ignore quite a few Nintendo games on this list probably because if they didnt 75% of the top twenty would be Nintendo.

11. mooksam22 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 12:48

Chrono Trigger is an absolutely incredible game and one of my all-time favorites. I only played it for the first time on the DS, but it really struck me how forward thinking it must have been in 1995. It doesn't feel like an old game. It deserves recognition for its amazing soundtrack alone.

12. KH81314 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 14:12

Even though I dont agree with this list (where is World Ends with You) I have played 14 of the games on the list.

13. pokemaniac 212 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 15:11

It should be said that this list was limited to 1 game per franchise (splitting the 2D and 3D Mario games and other similar things), so the reason the likes of the first Super Mario Galaxy (since its actually 2 on the list) and all the various zelda games people are moaning about aren't there is that they thought that the game they did pick was better, and certainly as far as Wind Waker goes I'd agree personally.

In fact, apart from pokemon being a bit low for my liking I'd agree with much of this list. Portal 2 is an incredible game, taking everything people loved about the original and expanding on it massively, and in my opinion it fully deserves the top spot, and I suspect many people who've played it would agree.

14. Mew3 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 15:18

Correction: Chrono Trigger is the highest rated game for ds. Yes, I know it was on another console first, but not in England

15. bushmistro1 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 16:08

I think and correct me if I'm rong that this list only contains 1 entry from a series of games I.e. mario galaxy represents the 3d mario games therefore super mario 64 is omitted etc other mario games in the list such as mario kart 7 representing the mario kart series and paper mario the paper mario series I think the same is for the zelda games. Also a more appropriate title for their article woulda been best 100 game series but they chosen 1 per series

16. Mmmyeah Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 18:14

Oh, I see. Thats quite important really!
    I'm not sure if I agree with that rule though. I would personally say that a list of greatest games should purely be about how great the game is, irrelevant of the franchise. I can see that they get a list that is more varied this way, but I can't agree that games like Ocarina of Time should be ommited, otherwise it isn't really a list of greatest games.
    I also would agree with the idea of games becoming less enjoyable to play. From the SNES onwards I would say that technical constraints are not an issue at all.
    Nevermind, I do agree that Chrono Trigger is fantastic, so its nice to see that get recognition. It's all down to personal taste anyway.

17. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 20:37

But they didn't give Portal 2 the top spot. ONM misread it or something, Game Radar gave Portal 1 the top spot. You know, Portal 1, that game that lasts 2 hours. As much as I love the Portal series, I'm not sure if they deserve the top spot. The original was short and easy and the sequel had Old Aperture and an awful credits song. In every other aspect they where perfect, though.

18. Zoolon Sunday 31st Mar 2013 at 04:17

Portal at the top sounds about right. Ain't one thang wrong with that game.