Does the free Rayman Legends online mode make up for the delay?

Tom East has his say on Ubisoft's peace offering

Ubisoft really are trying hard to make up for the Rayman Legends delay but judging by the first comments I've read on the ONM website and Twitter it just isn't working.

Not even the promise of a free online multiplayer mode featuring five challenges is enough for some people.

The problem is that it's coming in early April, a month after the game was originally meant to be released. Speaking during a video, Senior Game Producer Michael Michalic said: "it definitely hurt us to see you so upset about the delay." He didn't apologise but then it probably isn't his fault. Anger should be directed towards his bosses at Ubisoft rather than his studio who worked so hard to get Rayman Legends ready for release in March.

I was one of those who was upset and I won't rant too much here as Chandra has already expressed his anger in his blog. I'll just say that Rayman Legends was my most wanted Wii U game. Given how good Rayman Origins was, this was the only game in the Wii U launch line-up that seemed to me was guaranteed gold.

As it turns out, ZombiU and Nintendo Land also received a gold bar from ONM but given that platformers are my favourite genre, Rayman Legends was my still the game that I was most excited about as it looked to have pushed platforming to the next level with its inventive use of the GamePad that looked to be more original than New Super Mario Bros U.

Better than Mario?

Rayman? Better than Mario? Even as someone who worked on a PlayStation magazine in the late 1990s, I could have never seen the day when that could happen. Back then, following his debut, Rayman languished behind Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon and even Croc and Gex in our affections. Maybe it's because we were so blinded by the new world of 3D platforming that a 2D platformer starring a limbless hero with rubbish hair didn't have a hope.

Rayman - PlayStation
Rayman - PlayStation
I joined PlayStation Max magazine shortly after the first Rayman game was released on PlayStation and the guy was a laughing stock. Although his fortunes improved with Rayman 2, he would never compete with Mario but with Rayman Legends, it looked like it was his moment but that moment has been lost.

Given that the new 3D Mario game will be unveiled at E3 2013, our attention could be elsewhere by September.

So that's my feeling on the delay. I said I wouldn't rant and I've kind of failed.

Anyway, this demo, then. I have to say that it looks awesome. For me, the Land Of The Dead looks like it will be great as you and your friends have to use your best platforming skills to keep up with the speedy scrolling level while the Infernal Tower also looks like it will be good fun but it's the Dungeon - exclusive to Wii U - that looks like it will be brilliant as it makes great use of the GamePad.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. alexkinch Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 11:35

Kinda... I love free stuff.

2. AaronMclaren Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 12:03

I just feel so sorry for the developers. They now have another 7 months to basically try improve something that was deemed 'complete' to launch in just a few weeks time. It's like the rush to get it ready for February was a complete waste of their time, and come September when it's released, everyone's attention will be elsewhere.
    I don't see Legends doing as well in overall sales as it could have done, if the Wii U version was launched now/March. My preorder still stands, and I will be downloading the free challenge mode, but I can't say I'm impressed by this. The suits have monumentally cocked this right up :(

3. Spyrolad Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 12:21

I just can't support the decision to delay a completed game, giving me free stuff isn't going to help.
    In fact, it makes it worse! If Ubisoft expect me to turn around and say "Thanks Ubisoft, material goods and always a good reason to circumvent my standing on such issues!", then maybe that says something about their own company philosophy.

I'll buy a game from a company which cares about making games and not just making money.
    Never buying an Ubisoft game again.

4. toffeeman30 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 13:21

obviously seeking to appease rayman fans, ubisoft to release online challenge mode in april

5. SmashBro2712 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 13:26

Of course it doesn't make up for it, it's a start but it's not going to solve the bigger issues. One reason we ant Rayman Legends to be released now is that the developers have had a really hard time trying to get it ready for a February release, and now with that 7 months delay, all that extra effort is wasted - And Ubisoft thinks the way to make up for it is by pushing its employees to make yet more content and fast. Since the Wii U version is finished now, why not just release it now? I don't mind if it's now a multi-plat but why shelve a finished product? unless they release the game now (on Wii U anyway) then it's going to be overshadowed bu Wind Waker, new CoD, GTA5, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, new consoles etc. Ubisoft are shooting themselves in the foot with this, I'm protesting for their sake not just for the Wii U owners.

6. liveswired Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 13:42

With the way the Dreamcast...whoops........Wii U is going you'll be lucky if it is released.

7. KH81314 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 13:48

Why would it take so long to just port a game and why would they decide to do that know is stupid.

8. jaco_p Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 14:31

I'm still annoyed with the rayman corporate suits but i'd be stoopid not to play all those cool looking online challenges and such. They're making the best of a bad situation

9. alexjones94 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 15:16

If I put my business hat on, I can absolutely see why Ubisoft did what they did. Disappointing? Yes. Understandable? Also yes. I don't think it's so harmful that they want their game to reach the widest audience, and from what I've seen they're working hard to make the Wii U version the superlative one. They could've quite easily delayed it and done nothing, but they're making an effort to appease the fans, and I appreciate that.

10. alexjones94 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 15:18

If you think Nintendo have any chance of going the way of Sega did, with the Wii U, you're barmy. Also, the Dreamcast joke is beyond unoriginal.

11. MarioWalrus Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 16:29

The multiplatform release is ubisofts decision. But I want to know, is it microsofts 3rd party policy that is forcing the simultanious release? :?

12. nukuleardawg Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 17:49

the dreamcast may have died but dont joke about one of the best consoles ever, dear god i hope they make shemnue 3 and a HD trilogy for wiiu. as for rayman, this may not make up for the delay but thank you anyway, il be downloading day one to play some more of his awesome game

13. Argenthor Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 17:58

Yay Croc!

14. PokerusZero Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 18:28

I truely feel sorry for the developers going through this. It must be awful to see your game that you've put countless time into making and it now being mocked and insulted all because of the fat cats at the tops decision. While this online mode doesn't make up for the delay I will still download it as it does look great but my feelings towards the delay remain the same as they should just release the game even though I do like all the free stuff they are giving us.

15. 3ds234 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:34

NO.We can be playing the full game or play a demo a month later.

16. Waldy565 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:38

COMPLETELY agree. I love Spyro though tbh, he WAS my third video gaming character (after Pokemon and all it's avatars and Sonic)

17. GiftedGimp Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 00:21

They Havnlt ported Rayman Legends to WiiU, they built it for WiiU, Xbox/Ps3 are getting ports and will miss out on some the unique touchpad features.

As for Challenge mode, making up for the delay, not really but its a middle ground but only if it remains exclusive to WiiU and coupled with the extra content they are are putting inot the WiiU version is Only in the WiiU version.

It disgusts me Ubisoft have delayed Rayman like they did, but I never subscribed to the notion "I'm not buying it".
    After all based on the demo/previews its a fantastic game, so why should I miss out? Plus buy not buying it (and other ubisoft game as some have said they will boycott), only gives all 3rd party developers, not just ubisoft themselves more reason to not support WiiU, or stop supporting WiiU why would they? After all if current 3rd party support isn't backed by sales theres no reason to start or keep publishing on WiiU.

At the moment WiiU is at a point where 3rd party developers understand the architecture of the system, see its merits and support it, or Don't really understand the system and are not sure about supporting it, or Just not intersted.
    Nintendo are dong thier part, holding confrences, having meetings, providing support to various 3rd party developers/publishers in the hope to get them to understand the WiiU and how best to support & develop for the platform. But we, the community need to do our part in showing these publishers we want them to support the WiiU buy buying 3rd party games, even if it means 'taking one for the team' and putting up with the odd bad decision made buy a suit.

18. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:19

NOTHING makes up for the delay. NOTHING.

19. alexkinch Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:01

NOTHING makes up for the delay. NOTHING.

Extra content, free on line mode and a new demo not enough? I'm ok as it gives me something to look forward to

20. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:22

No. It doesn't.

The game is finished. Ubi are being selfish idiots and decided to go back on their word that it was Wii U exclusive making us all wait. The correct course of action for all concerned is to release it NOW, not delay it and fob us off with trinkets. I'm sure the overworked dev team are pleased...

When it comes out nobody will care any more, and it'll flop.

21. King Slazo Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:31

When it comes out nobody will care any more, and it'll flop.

Except those people on 360 and PS3, the platforms on which Rayman Origins sold the most.

The only people being "selfish idiots" are those still bitching when the developers are making the best of an unfortunate scenario by giving you more content.

22. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:36

Except they won't care because COD and GTA are out at the same time.

23. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:38

And don't think the devs are happy - the game they crammed to finish on time, is now something they have to continue working on for another 6 months.

24. King Slazo Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:52

Except they won't care because COD and GTA are out at the same time.

Origins also had to face CoD, along with Skyrim and Arkham City. Didn't stop it selling well enough to get a sequel.

I never said the devs were happy, I said they were making the best of a bad situation. If anything, they're working harder for the outraged minority by making more content for them, while they're porting it over to other platforms which it'll inevitably sell better on.

25. LOZanges Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 16:01

Never buying an Ubisoft game again.

Then Ubi announce a sucsessor to ZOMBI and ZOMBIU and it looks to be the best game ever. No delays. No multiplatform.
    Then you'll want to buy a Ubisoft game, won't you?

26. Spyrolad Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:42

Never buying an Ubisoft game again.

Then you'll want to buy a Ubisoft game, won't you?

My principles come first.
    If Ubisoft released the best game ever made I still wouldn't buy it.

27. Spyrolad Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:46

Never buying an Ubisoft game again.

Then you'll want to buy a Ubisoft game, won't you?

Maybe I wasn't clear; I will still WANT Ubisoft games, I just won't buy them.
    I'd rather miss out on the best game ever than support a bad business model.

28. Mr Roboto Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 20:08

I don't care any more about this game!

I'm just going to spend my money on Monster Hunter and Lego City instead in March.

29. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 21:08

It sold badly on release. It was only when the price dropped to Ł18 that the sales picked up. In fact, it didn't even make the top 40 on release:

http://metro.co.uk/2011/11/28/third-uk- ... ps-234827/

In fact, it's only just sold 2 million copies, across all formats, worldwide, in the entire time it's been on sale:

That's pretty poor for a what Ubi consider a top title. Compare it with 1.53 million copies of NSMBU sold on a single (new) platform in under three months...